Post your Camp Awnings

OneFastGeek

Observer
I got to test out my Foxwing Awning this past weekend. It rained/hailed/snowed 2 of the 3 days we camped, and I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase. I'm also very happy with the RV-5 OzTent Tagalong tent that zips directly into the awning.

Honu

lost on the mainland
nice looking combo !
I got to test out my Foxwing Awning this past weekend. It rained/hailed/snowed 2 of the 3 days we camped, and I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase. I'm also very happy with the RV-5 OzTent Tagalong tent that zips directly into the awning.

jerdog53

Explorer

I have been eyeing those fox wing awnings for some time now and am glad it's working out for you.

OneFastGeek

Observer
I have been eyeing those fox wing awnings for some time now and am glad it's working out for you.

Keep an eye out on eBay for them. I got mine, brand new for $378 shipped, which is the best deal I've seen so far. I consistently see others for sale, well below the $699 MSRP price as well.

grogie

Like to Camp
I went camping last weekend and it rained, rained and rained. I'm not going to put a roof rack on my Jeep (either above the soft top or drill into the hard drop), and my trailer is not setup for an awning that rolls out from a tube carrier. So, I went and bought this canopy that was surprising well built for $60 to go over the RTT and still provide room to sit under it.

vNYtjR.jpg

The canopy was just high enough that I could open the trailer's lid.

XvtMFw.jpg

However it's in a rather larger bag that is just something else to have to strap to the top of my trailer that I'd rather not carry. I think I may need to take a tent style awning (that has two polls on the end) and somehow set it up to easily attach it to the top of my Tepui RTT. It would need to go on the entrance side of the RTT so that the trailer's lid could still open when the awning is attached? Whatever it is, I want to make it simple as like going to an RTT from a ground tent, it's making camp setup quick.

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
I got this from REI. I don't have a roof rack, and prefer this as I can put it over a table or away from the truck as needed. $109 / only 15 lbs. Packs up
small and easy to store. Worth looking into,

View attachment 284916

I had one of those for a trip. Not too heavy, not too big packed up. Setup not too troublesome but certainly not quick. Probably with practice it goes faster.

For me the problem was that the shade was pretty poor - as in it does not create a particularly deep shade. So in a desert it doesn't do a good job in my opinion. I got too much UV exposure while under the shelter and there was too much solar load for comfort as far as heat goes. But desert sun and temperatures are off course rather extreme - probably a nice canopy for other environments.

Lucky j

Explorer
But I'm curious, do you have something that better suits your needs?

I had one of those for a trip. Not too heavy, not too big packed up. Setup not too troublesome but certainly not quick. Probably with practice it goes faster.

For me the problem was that the shade was pretty poor - as in it does not create a particularly deep shade. So in a desert it doesn't do a good job in my opinion. I got too much UV exposure while under the shelter and there was too much solar load for comfort as far as heat goes. But desert sun and temperatures are off course rather extreme - probably a nice canopy for other environments.

schunkb

Observer
Here is the foxwing deployed without any of the sides.
IMG_0219.jpg

And here, with the tapered panels attached.
IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

featuring my lovely model, Sammy.

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I think that is an Eezi-Awn Bat Manta

Its the bat. The manta is larger with a different footprint. There are sidewall kits available for those as well. They're just not advertised. If you contact Paul May at Equipt he can get you all the info you could ever need! :)

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Here's my contraption, I built an aluminum rack that goes on my Jeep or my camp trailer. It's hinges at the back and flips over to create an awning behind whatever it's on, two tent poles that are folded up inside of it swing down as legs and I throw a tarp over it for the top. It's not a quick setup, eat lunch on the side of the trail and move on type of deal, but it works awesome at camp when you're going to be parked for awhile.

56740a64c529454868ec189b2cd0431e.jpg

75eb3f5717f292ab48ef995636c135f5.jpg

ffcd4561eba0e91541949a19626d0f59.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier