Cooking an omelette in a bag

dport

Adventurer
I think the chemical concern goes away if you use a quality food storage container since they're designed to be heated.

AKRover

Adventurer
The vacuum bags might be the way to go as long as they are designed to be heated. I don't really think it's necessary to use boiling water either. Water at a simmer or just below should be fine I would think. If you heated the egg to the point of turning water into steam there might be a chance you could be wearing your breakfast too.

I'm kind of wondering what the texture of a vacuum packed cooked egg would be like? Usually you want your scrambled eggs to be light and fluffy but inside a bag with all the air removed it would be hard to incorporate any. Would it just be a solid brick of coagulated egg protein? Mmmmmm

Try it out and let us know.

TJTigger

Works great. They can even be prepared before you leave the house and placed into a cooler in the bag and cooked in the morning. Just boil some water and make sure the squeeze the bag part way through the boil. Especially important to squeeze the bag if you have tomatoes in it. The water from the tomatoes keeps the eggs raw around them.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm kind of wondering what the texture of a vacuum packed cooked egg would be like? Usually you want your scrambled eggs to be light and fluffy but inside a bag with all the air removed it would be hard to incorporate any. Would it just be a solid brick of coagulated egg protein? Mmmmmm

They're not really fluffy at all, I think about the closest thing to it would be the texture of the "egg" in a McDonalds egg mcmuffin except this is made with real eggs and isn't super greasy or disgusting. You aren't really scrambling them, it really is more of an omelette kind of thing.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Bravo! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn't stomach the thought of eggs in a bag.

Add a toasted English muffin, smoked salmon, and real hollandaise and you have heaven on a plate. Is there anything better than properly prepared eggs benedict?

HARD TO THINK OF ANYTHING AS GOOD AS EGGS BENEDICT! maybe pork chile verde on a fresh corn tortilla with a couple of soft fried eggs on top - with a some chopped sweet onion and cilantro over all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier