Cooking an omelette in a bag

dport

Adventurer
Has anyone ever heard/tried cooking an omelette in a plastic bag? I recently heard of this and thought it would be a good way to pack your eggs while camping/overlanding. I was told you place all your omelette ingrediants into a ziplock bag and place it into a pot of boiling water. I may try this using a small food storage container to transport and cook in. This would eliminate your eggs sticking, too. :chef:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes it works, just make sure all of the air is out of the bag and it's well sealed before you drop it in the boiling water.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
We use to do breakfast burritos like that in boy scouts. It works pretty well especially if you use the heavy duty freezer bags. The only thing I'd be worried about is chemicals and stuff leaching out into your food. I think you could use powdered eggs the same way.

dport

Adventurer
Just tried it this morning, one in a qt freezer bag and the other in a smaller sized rubbermaid style container. Both worked well, except that the container wanted to tip over in the pot. I think I'll try it in a smaller/shorter container next time. I think the best part would be that you could throw enough containers together for the trip and not have to worry about washing dishes until you made it back home. Cleaning dishes in the field is my least favorite event.

AKRover

Adventurer
My only concern with cooking in plastic that wasn't designed to be cooked in is that when plastic is heated it can release chemicals that are not so good for your body. If it were me I would stick to the old fashioned way and if your worried about sticking get a teflon pan.

loki646

Observer
This was being discussed in another forum and I made the suggestion to use Vaccum bags vs Ziploc. They won't accidentally open in your cooler/fridge, are boil safe, and by nature remove all the air from the bag. This works great for soups too....bag up pre-portioned serving and simply drop in boiling water. Clean up is simple since the boiling water can be used as dishwater for clean up of any utensils or dishware.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
This was being discussed in another forum and I made the suggestion to use Vaccum bags vs Ziploc. They won't accidentally open in your cooler/fridge, are boil safe, and by nature remove all the air from the bag. This works great for soups too....bag up pre-portioned serving and simply drop in boiling water. Clean up is simple since the boiling water can be used as dishwater for clean up of any utensils or dishware.
How would the vac bags work with a liquid?

I freeze stuff like sauces and soups before I vac seal them and it works pretty well. I don't know how eggs would be after freezing.

loki646

Observer
Its a bit of a trick and the better sealers have a drip tray to them, but by setting the sealer up higher than the bag to be sealed it will pull all the excess space to the point of just a little of the fluid being sucked into the vaccum/drip tray. Since soups and sauces are all ready cooked, you are merely re-heating and steam is not nearly an issue. Eggs are even heavier so the sealer (at least mine) tends to stop the vaccum process and seals the bag with little problem. Kinda hard to explain, just know it works for me.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Its a bit of a trick and the better sealers have a drip tray to them, but by setting the sealer up higher than the bag to be sealed it will pull all the excess space to the point of just a little of the fluid being sucked into the vaccum/drip tray. Since soups and sauces are all ready cooked, you are merely re-heating and steam is not nearly an issue. Eggs are even heavier so the sealer (at least mine) tends to stop the vaccum process and seals the bag with little problem. Kinda hard to explain, just know it works for me.

My experiments with vacuum sealers and liquids have been good. In the directions for my sealer, it says to cut 3 inches extra off the roll for making the bag, but for liquids I think I'd add an extra inch or two to that. Another thing I found is that having the liquid filled bag lower than the vacuum sealer helps some, like hanging over the edge of the counter (held of course, not just hanging free) instead of laying on top of the counter in front of the sealer. Gravity is your friend unless your expo vehicle is tumbling end over end down a mountainside. Getting liquid into the drip catcher tray is inevitable though, its bound to happen.

loki646

Observer
Bingo..you definitely explained it a bit better than me. Most people do pre-bag in ziplocs, freeze, then transfer to vaccum bag. But it takes a bit of experimenting with the method to figure it out. Its the same principle as using the bags for marinades.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
You know of course that I'm going to have to bust the vac sealer out tonight to try this. :elkgrin:
I can see me boiling up a bag of eggs with ham and cheese for breakfast.

My wife will think I'm crazy, again.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
ANother idea...

Bring water to a simmer, add 1/2 tsp of red wine vinegar, crack egg gently into the water. We call them 'poached' eggs ;-) and no bag to recycle.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
ANother idea...

Bring water to a simmer, add 1/2 tsp of red wine vinegar, crack egg gently into the water. We call them 'poached' eggs ;-) and no bag to recycle.

Bravo! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn't stomach the thought of eggs in a bag.

Add a toasted English muffin, smoked salmon, and real hollandaise and you have heaven on a plate. Is there anything better than properly prepared eggs benedict?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles