Benny's M416

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Guess it's my turn, Just picked this one up yesterday. It's in great shape for a '66, No major rust issues, just some surface rust. My first plan is to repaint it and re-herculine the bed.
Dogs.jpg

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Nice trailer! I'm in Lacey and building an M416 too. It's a complete custom frame and all. Should have it on it's wheels (37" MT/R's and JK Rubi rims) by Thursday.

loki646

Observer
Man, you Washington guys keep pulling these out of nowhere and they all look like they just came fresh from the stockyard...Yet another nice find! Congrats!

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Got a few thing done this weekend. Unseized the lunette ring and replaced the grease. Started breaking it down and sanding all the little rust spots down. I may wait on the frame off resto for now, I'm going to need the trailer for this spring.
M416001.jpg

Last edited:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Nice trailer! I'm in Lacey and building an M416 too. It's a complete custom frame and all. Should have it on it's wheels (37" MT/R's and JK Rubi rims) by Thursday.

Cool we'll trailer compare off when we are done:drool: Are you using a new axle or adapters on the military axle? Rubi rims are on my list....

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Using a new axle. I ordered a 3500lb axle with 10" electric brakes in JK bolt pattern and wheel adapters from AT to fit the rims over the ez lube hubs. Also running the AT Max Coupler. I have 3 more pretty much brand new JK Rubi rims I might be willing to part with if you're looking for some.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
well I finished spiffing up the trailer. Herculined the bed and rails. I think I'm done for now anyway..here's the before and after pics.

Attachments

• M416.jpg
    M416.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 128

Digs

Wow, i have a twin. I just finished spraying my bed grey. The frame and fenders are flat black. Hopefully this weekend i'll get the tub remounted and next weekend i'll be doing the bed liner.

duxndogs

Observer
Re:

Looks good!! :smiley_drive:

Sorry for the newb questions...but what can one expect to pay for a used (worth building up) M416 trailer? :drool:

Where should I be looking for one?

I live in the southeast and have been watching the local craigslist but haven't seen any. Saw a few on ebay but nothing close by.

Thanks!

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I searched craigslist for a couple of months, Found mine under "jeep trailer" Also try small trailer, M416, military trailer, M101, offroad trailer, williys trailer and bantam. I've noticed that the good ones will go from 800-1200 based on location. The more rust the cheaper they are. Also check www.g503.com they have a section for trailers.

Good luck.

Dezdan

Observer
CL seems to be the best place to find trailers from what I've seen. eBay has to much action and prices get pushed to high IMO. It took me over a year to find a trailer close enough for me to get and in my price range. I use searchtempest.com which allows you to search CL cities in a radius around where you live.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
So dusting this thread off a little. I decided to put a new axle under my trailer and ordered it with the 5 on 5 lug pattern. I wanted to use the JK rubicon rims(thanks TenatiousTJ) and run 255/75R17's. Found a good deal on some used 265/70/17's so they are close. This turned out to be kind of a hassle but it all worked out in the end. I ordered a Dexter 3500lb axle from the guys at VMI. Figured that the JK rims wouldn't fit over the trailer hubs so I ordered a set of spacers and had the axle shortened to make up the difference. Well the spacers showed up and wouldn't you know they wont even fit over the axle hub. So instead of paying to send them back and get ones that would, I found a local machine shop open them up to fit for 20 bucks. Get those back today and bolted on. So finally get to mount the rims and tires on and bam, even the ez lube dust cap is to big to fit through the JK rims center hole.....so for now, until I get the new dust caps, the little jeep caps will have to work. Just no water crossings for now. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Got to finish up a few odds and ends and it'll be back on the road. For now I left it spring under and the 265's look huge under a stock 416, kind of low and wide now...but since my new jeep is stock height for now, i'll live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior