Air bags for lifting and recovery

762X39

Explorer
My concern with airbags lifting a heavy axle is the need for a sheet of steel on top. Perhaps the best way is proper cribbing under a hydraulic jack. A high lift isn't an option.
I have a couple of squares of plywood, 12 inches square by 1 inch thick that I use as a Jack All base and could also use under my Mogs diff (the diffs are flat underneath) if I felt I was going to puncture the bag.
The bags are mostly so that I can lift a tire out of a hole or whatnot and then slip a sandladder or rock or cribbing and a piece of plywood under the tire to restore forward motion.:coffee:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I may need to figure out some cribbing myself. Just tried the air jack on our rig. Sad to say that the 4 ton can't get my measly LC tire off the ground even with the swaybars connected..

exhaustjack.jpg

And the other problem is, if i choose another location under the rig i'd be worried about the bag puncturing.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Just ratchet strap the axel to the frame than air up the jack.

x2, a very practical operation regardless of the jack you are using, unloading the suspension just creates more stored energy.

You may need to bump up to a bigger exhaust jack or plan on using it under the axle.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That only works if you have lifted the front axle:)

Yes and no. Two locked rear wheels will keep the t-case from spinning, which shouldn't allow the front axle much movement. However there is enough 'give' and with an open front diff things will move. :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, im trying to figure out the airjackusa 4 ton bag i have is only rated for 4,500 lbs :confused:

That doesnt make any sense.

Kurt, I tried the rear axle on the 80 but i didn't like how it deformed the bag around the axle, e-brake etc. . so i stopped about 1/4 way through. I wish i could lift off the Long Ranger auto aux tank, but i don't want to dent it.

Ron B

Explorer
the 4 ton label had me wondering as well. In my instructions it mentioned lifting two wheels at a time on a 4 ton vehicle.

The 1st time I tried it under the axle it went up so fast, I thought it woulf hit the ceiling of my garage. It actually rolled a few feet to the right -- lucky there was nothing, or no one there. Dummeh! I really didn't expect it to work, let alone that fast (I was even wearing ear protection expecting a loud explosion). I then moved it under the rocker, and tried again. It raised both tires about 5 or 6 inches off the ground. I haven't been to a scale to check my truck's weight, but my best guess is that it's in the neighborhood of 8k lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_7489.jpg
    IMG_7489.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 46

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, so your rig has 39" tires on it and you can get your wheel off the ground with the 4ton bag. Interesting, must have to do with the limiting straps you have keeping the a-arm from drooping more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior