Air bags for lifting and recovery

762X39

Explorer
I am about to get a couple of air bags for lifting and recovery and was wondering why they are not more popular in north america? For 20 years I have been recovering my vehicles (from an 84 Lada Niva up to my Unimog) with a Jack-All, patience, a few rocks, the odd piece of wood and time.I have had my Unimog recovered from a deep hole with the help of an old Series Rover but it wasn't what you think. I had the Rover pull with a snatch (kinetic) strap on the back end and when my springs squatted, traction was restored and I was able to reverse out of the hole. Why are airbags shunned but winches (which present a whole list of downsides to them) seem favoured?:coffee:

adrenaline503

Explorer
Airbags aren't as sexy. What I don't get is why people use hi-lifts instead of airbags. My next major recovery purchase will be an X-Jack.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
What I don't get is why people use hi-lifts instead of airbags.
Several reasons I'm sure, off the top of my head.
1. X-jack is three times as expensive as a hi-lift.
2. Hi-lifts have been around a lot longer.
3. A lot more people sell hi-lifts than x-jacks.
4. A hi-lift is more versatile.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I am not saying that the hi-lift doesn't have it merits. Its iconic, and as you said, versatile. They just scare the crap out of me since I saw one slide out and get flung across a field. Now that I have a winch hopefully I won't need a hi-lift.

oz97tj

Observer
Slightly off topic, but peoples fears of Hi-Lifts is crazy. With pretty much any tool that can support a 6000 lb object, care must be used. I've used them for years on a regular basis and swear by them.

I've seen cables snap on winches, yet still have one and use it. I've even seen shovel handles break causing splinters but still chance it. lol

Airbags may be nice, but my only experiance has been in emergency type situations (fire department and ems stuff). Those units are real expensive, and are still fairly heavy because they are made thick and they don't really pack down to a small package. Not to mention all the extra stuff needed with them like air hoses and such. That may not be that big of a deal, but don't have much experiance.

My hi-lift is simple, always works, and even though it's somewhat heavy it doesn't take up much room.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Get on a heavy rescue team, they get used all the time. A guess MIGHT be that for a lot of vehicles they eat a lot of storage room.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
The use of airbags in North America really depends on the type or material one is stuck in. Where I live airbags are not a very good idea due to the terrain hiding sharp rocks, sticks, and no telling what else (i.e. Indian artifacts). Winches are a better choice mainly because of their versatility and ruggedness.

We do however use airbags on rollovers and special recovery calls, just not as much offroad. They are hands-down the best option I've found for an overturned semi truck.

oz97tj

Observer
I dunno.
I've used hi-lifts for years as well, but I have a very healthy repsect for their potential to cause grave harm to the human body.

ANYONE using any type of tool like this should have respect for the injury it could cause. I would argue a winch could actually cause more injury when things go bad. A jack may cause some pain if the handle begins ratcheting or spits out, but a cable could easily cause death. Point is, if used properly and safely, a hi-lift is a great tool.

It was also mentioned type of terrain. Here in Michigan, we have a bunch of mud and I'm not sure I'd want to stick a mud covered air bag back into my jeep after use.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
ANYONE using any type of tool like this should have respect for the injury it could cause. I would argue a winch could actually cause more injury when things go bad.
Oh yeah, definitely. But I'd warrant a lot of people don't think of a jack as being dangerous. As a noob to hi-lifts many years ago I was lucky to not have my skull cracked by the handle. Maybe my experience with bumper jacks (which most these days probably never knew) saved me.

Token

Explorer
I've got one of these and have used it a few times..

http://www.airjackusa.com/

Front of truck was up on a ledge.. With the tire flat, I couldn't get backed off the ledge without landing on the bumper, so the tire had to be changed with the truck on the ledge.
Pickwick%204.jpg

Pickwick%206.jpg

Pickwick%208.jpg

Pickwick%202.jpg

Pickwick%207.jpg

stclair

Adventurer
Get on a heavy rescue team, they get used all the time. A guess MIGHT be that for a lot of vehicles they eat a lot of storage room.

We have an entire compartment dedicated to airbag storage. Another for the cribbing that we use along with the airbags. I doubt anyone would need all of that equipment, however the cribbing is a MUST to lift any vehicles safely.

oz97tj

Observer
I've got one of these and have used it a few times..

http://www.airjackusa.com/

Front of truck was up on a ledge.. With the tire flat, I couldn't get backed off the ledge without landing on the bumper, so the tire had to be changed with the truck on the ledge.
Pickwick%204.jpg

Pickwick%206.jpg

Pickwick%208.jpg

Pickwick%202.jpg

Pickwick%207.jpg

In your images, two things come to mind. One, I wonder if you could have kept driving up the ledge. The pictures don't look that back, but I wasn't there and pictures never really do justice so forgive me if it was worse.

Second, the airjack still looks like it could have spit out. Point is, it could happen with about anything and is why care needs to be taken.

Edit: I just want to say that trail looks cool! lol Where is it?

Token

Explorer
There was another ledge in front of the blown tire.. Sharp point on that ledge was what blew the tire.

I hadn't noticed the air bag bulging out until I got back home and was looking at the pics.. I cringe everytime I look at it.. I also know now to make SURE the bag is setting correctly..

The trail is on the east side of Pickwick Lake near the TN/AL border.. We've since found out through the TVA that several of the trails there and this particular trail isn't a legal trail. Although some of the trails that look just like this show up on my GPS as a county road.

This is one of the "county roads".. Had been raining most of the day, but I'm pretyt sure it looks like this most of the time.
IMG_1195.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online