Saginaw p/s on 2F - vacuum issues

shovelbum

Observer
Hi. I have an '85 FJ60 with stock 2F engine. I just had the stock p/s pump replaced with a Saginaw pump. I had the smog pump removed, as I haven't had a catalytic converter for years. I immediately noticed a drop in power, the choke stopped working for the most part, and it seems like it doesn't even want to idle, though it will. Because these issues started as soon as I did the p/s swap and smog pump removal, I'm assuming they have something to do with smog vacuum lines. Does anyone know what I need to do? I did some research on Ih8mud and I am not interested in the entire desmogging process. I just want to fix these problems and get back on the road. Thanks in advance.

Willman

Do you have the 2F emission manual?..(If not...search mud)..If i was you and didn't have the smog police.....get her desmogged....your almost there.

Get a manual...... start back tracking all your lines to make sure all is connected right....

;)

AndrewP

Explorer
Not sure exactly what you did, but with de-smogs, it's best to go 100% all the way or not do it at all. Your symptoms sound like a vacuum leak.

Maybe it's as easy as a dislodged vacuum line so look very carefully in the area you were working.

Also with a full desmog, there is some carb work to do and optimally get your distributor advance recurved.

shovelbum

Observer
Thanks guys. The problem (with me) is that I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I thought I was making things easier by eliminating the leaky p/s problem. Nobody warned me about the smog issues. I've been looking at the mud threads on desmogging and frankly, that's WAY out of my league. I wouldn't even know where to start and would definitely mess things up big time if I tried. I was hoping there would be some quick fix but it's looking unlikely. Thanks though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm betting there's a Mud'er near your neck of the woods qualified to supervise the de-smog procedure. Post over there asking for help and you're likely to get more than you can deal with. There may even be someone here able to help.

fowldarr

Explorer
The desmog, looks complicated and it is, but if you just take your time, follow the threads on IH8MUD (check out "My Desmog Thread" by some guy named fowldarr) :). It's very doable. You will get it done, and it still won't be right, and then you'll figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles