Budget Skamper Fix/Build

Canufixit

Observer
I just wanted to thank again all the inputs and pictures in this thread and other threads. With a new to me Skamper 072S and no supplier support all this info is just great. The Pictures especially are helpful as they not only sow the issues - but answer construction questions that I had not yet even thought of.

One Question for all the Skamper Pop up Camper gurus... I cannot find any Serial/Model/Vin number anywhere on my Camper. I'm Told they usually put them on two or more locations since some get peeled off. I've checked under the Door entrance and in the cabinets. Anywhere Else to look ???

Thanks All!

Last edited:

andytruck

Observer
Holding it down

I may have missed this, but…

How do you hold the camper to the bed? Especially with 4x4 option.
I do not see any chains of hold downs on yours. They guy I bought mine from said he never held it, that gravity just held it, and that if anything happened he just assumes the camper roll off the truck anyway. That is not my thinking.
I want to have it securely attached.
I was contemplating some sort of fitting where a male piece on the bottom of camper fits a female fitting on the truck bed I would mount in. This way I back in and the front is locked, then I just chain the back of it to the tow hooks like I do already.
Any ideas short of bolting it in?
Or, like my tool box has hooks that grab under the truck bed rails, could I do something like that?
I would rather not have the chains on the outside of the truck bed going to out riggers from the truck frame.

Also, if I may hijack. How do I get a med size frigerator in? Do I have to remove the canvas and hoist it through there? My door opening is only 20 inches at the widest.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Can't speak for this exact model, but lots of truck campers have access panels (often on the inside) to use turnbuckles to tie each corner down to an eye-bolt or similar attachment in the truck bed. Very secure, but harder to get to for the people who take the camper on/off frequently, which is why you sometimes see external chains or other mechanisms.

I may have missed this, but…

How do you hold the camper to the bed? Especially with 4x4 option.
I do not see any chains of hold downs on yours. They guy I bought mine from said he never held it, that gravity just held it, and that if anything happened he just assumes the camper roll off the truck anyway. That is not my thinking.
I want to have it securely attached.
I was contemplating some sort of fitting where a male piece on the bottom of camper fits a female fitting on the truck bed I would mount in. This way I back in and the front is locked, then I just chain the back of it to the tow hooks like I do already.
Any ideas short of bolting it in?
Or, like my tool box has hooks that grab under the truck bed rails, could I do something like that?
I would rather not have the chains on the outside of the truck bed going to out riggers from the truck frame.

I have a Skamper 072S and I'm going to add 2 D-Rings to the front corners of my Tacoma's bed to turnbuckle or ratchet strap the front to, as @Herbie refers to. I had to add 2 tie down points to the front of the camper inboard of where the factory ones are. I used 3/8" stainless steel eye bolts through the plywood with an extra piece of 3/4" ply added on the inside where the bolt comes through, and a fender washer and nut. I also had to cut 2 new access panels because the original ones line up with the wheel wells of my truck. Kind of a lot of work, but that Torklift costs about half what I paid for the whole camper! I'll have pics up in my thread as soon as I finish trimming out the new access panels.

andytruck

Observer
Interesting. I had not bought of turnbuckles that I can access through the doors. I think one of my doors lines up with a fender too, that will need a fix. Turnbuckles solves the problem I was having of 'how do I line up bolt holes in the bed with bolt holes in the camper'…

Skamper9

2nd day with my 89 Skamper

Just bought an 89 to go on my 91 Toyota pickup. Looks good. Doing all the cleaning, repairs and set up to get it in shape. Lots to do, starting with the wiring. I found an older owners manual online, but the wiring diagram is incomplete. Anyone know where I could find a better one? Trying to get the fridge going on electric. Works on gas, but someone did a hatchet job on the wiring at the box. Wire unattached, some are almost almost too short... I guess I could take out the water tank to make it easier to access them, but I am not sure which wires go where. New to the Skamper and this forum. Thanks.
Chris

Just bought an 89 to go on my 91 Toyota pickup. Looks good. Doing all the cleaning, repairs and set up to get it in shape. Lots to do, starting with the wiring. I found an older owners manual online, but the wiring diagram is incomplete. Anyone know where I could find a better one? Trying to get the fridge going on electric. Works on gas, but someone did a hatchet job on the wiring at the box. Wire unattached, some are almost almost too short... I guess I could take out the water tank to make it easier to access them, but I am not sure which wires go where. New to the Skamper and this forum. Thanks.
Chris

https://plus.google.com/photos/112372094434073293146/albums/5766645393950966305?authkey=COzl5djC39TsowE

Try this link for the wiring diagram. I used it to wire the 12 volt in my 89 Skamper. Are you wiring 12 volt or shore power? You may also try to post some pics. It would help to see what the previous owner did.

You will love your Skamper. I love mine.

Zmanfj40

Hello, I just bought a 1992 skamper 100sc. Looked it over and it all looks really good for the age. Hoping to start using it soon! Just want to say thanks for all the positive post about skamper!
Post up some pics of your Skamper if you have any!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles