Budget Skamper Fix/Build

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Fridge Finally!!

Well the work on the ole skamper continues.... I got some time the other weekend and was able to get the fridge in. It was a bit of a project, but by evening it was looking very good.

P1220144.jpg

It amazes me how simple these old wooden campers are.

P1220145.jpg

I built a frame around where the back of the fridge will rest, and sealed it off with caulking from the inside. Note the new beefier strut in the middle of the access holes. haha I also wrapped the fridge in some R13 insulation I had laying around from working on a friends rental property. Im hoping it helps a bit.

P1220147.jpg

This is from the outside (top hatch). I cut and bent a piece so sheet metal hoping some of the heat will deflect off it and out of the vent. It seems to work great.

P1220154.jpg

This one is outside bottom hatch. I did the same thing with the sheet metal going down and out in case of a propane leak.

P1220153.jpg

And here she is with a fresh coat of white paint. I was really happy with how it all turned out.

P1230161.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Roof Repair

As you can see from one of the above posts, I was re-fiber glassing the roof corners because they were falling apart and I didnt want the roof to blow off driving down the road! haha I was getting ready to re-install them I found.... DRYROT! I was not a happy camper at that point, but decided I had to go for it since I plan on taking this thing on plenty of more trips.

So the repair begins....

P1230156.jpg

P1230157.jpg

After finally scraping, scratching, and sanding I was able to get the older stuff off and had a good platform to make my new piece. It was simply two pieces of 1/2" Plywood glued together and then glued to the sheet metal roof covering. So I grabbed my gorilla glue, and all my clamps!!

P1230160.jpg

It all went back together fairly easy. While I was at it I re-sealed the roof, so now I am feeling good about the weather. Here's a picture of the fridge vents and fixed roof. It took up my whole weekend! haha

2011-01-29_13-54-45_48.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
I have a very similar set up. GMC DMax with a Sunlite SkyHawk SB camper in the bed.

It took months of watching Craigslist to find the camper, but the wait was worth it. Fortunately mine came with the amenities you've added to yours. Nice job, BTW.

We're in SoCal, and desert racers. It gets freakin' hot in July in the Mojave Desert. I added a roof air, and got a Honda 2kw generator. The generator stores between the camper and the bedside. The Coleman roof air is a smaller unit and the generator powers it OK, even at full speed. Generator use is rare, but it is nice to have.

My set up is Baja tested, chased a race car all the way to La Paz at last years Baja 1000 (Jeepspeed Class Champs!). I expected to find the camper falling apart when I got home after the beating it took. Surprisingly it held up well. Some minor tightening/glueing made it as good as new.

Keep the updates coming, it's a good read.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I have a very similar set up. GMC DMax with a Sunlite SkyHawk SB camper in the bed.

It took months of watching Craigslist to find the camper, but the wait was worth it. Fortunately mine came with the amenities you've added to yours. Nice job, BTW.

We're in SoCal, and desert racers. It gets freakin' hot in July in the Mojave Desert. I added a roof air, and got a Honda 2kw generator. The generator stores between the camper and the bedside. The Coleman roof air is a smaller unit and the generator powers it OK, even at full speed. Generator use is rare, but it is nice to have.

My set up is Baja tested, chased a race car all the way to La Paz at last years Baja 1000 (Jeepspeed Class Champs!). I expected to find the camper falling apart when I got home after the beating it took. Surprisingly it held up well. Some minor tightening/glueing made it as good as new.

Keep the updates coming, it's a good read.

Bob, Saw your setup on the camper pictures thread! Looks awesome! I like the light bar in front. Is your camper a full size or mid size? I was surprised
to see the tailgate still on and closed. I actually like that ability.

Congrats on the Baja win. I was down there for a week for the 1000 as well. We didn't make it to La Paz, but about 1/2 way. We were chasing for 2 sportsman bike teams. I didn't have the guts to bring my camper, but glad yours made it through ole Baja. The AC is a must if you are down there playing in the dez. Being up on the central coast, we don't make it to the desert that often, so Ive survived the summer so far. Well see though!

Any mods you like the best on yours? I like the spar tire/ hitch rack! Slick!

Paul

bob91yj

Resident **************
Thanks.

The camper is a mid size, it was in a Tundra when I bought it, original owner had it in a Ford Ranger.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Another Skamper Mod/Weekend

Im thinking I should have Titled the thread "Adventures of the Budget Skamper" haha :smiley_drive: My Girl and I took another weekend trip, so I figured I would post a few pictures, and give an update on my latest mod.... A Overhead Cabinet! It was a great addition! Helps out with storage and organization a ton. No more bags of food to shuffle around!

I built it outta scrap I had in my garage. Basically ripped up some 3/4"x6" pieces of pine I had, and covered it in some 3/16" plywood I had from another project. Its very light, and came together in about 3 hours after work, and then another 2 hours the next night to sand and paint.

2011-02-08_20-03-06_310.jpg

Cabinet Installed....

2011-02-10_20-08-04_500.jpg

2011-02-10_20-08-34_702.jpg

I mounted it with a 12" piece or aluminum angle on each side screwed up to the roof, and then the middle "struts" you can see in the first pict are screwed to the roof as well.

We had won tickets to the Monetery Bay Aquarium, so we decided to cash in on them this weekend. Friday might we camped at Laguna Seca. Nothing special. Just RV city, although the weather was great, and it was fun jogging around the track in the morning. Saturday night we camped in Veterans Memorial Park Campground. It was empty, clean, green, and had showers. There are hiking trails next to it which give nice views of Monterey. I would camp there again if I was headed there for another weekend.

Camp.jpg

We then headed down the coast via hwy 1 on Sunday. We could not have asked for better weather. Stopped for some hikes, and a great sunset. :ylsmoke:

TheRig.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Question for you California guys.... What is your favorite camp spot and activity along that stretch of coast? I thoroughly enjoy the coast ridge road off Nacimiento Ferguson and Plaskett creek road. I ask because weekend trips are easily accessed and I love the area.
Cheers!
Paul

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
When you get a chance, could you post some more detailed pics. of the lifting struts and cabinet relation.

I have been sitting in my Skamper wondering how to get more storage. It is perfect with me and the wife, but when the little ones come with us I think things will get tight real quick. Overhead cabinets would be a huge help.

Thanks.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
When you get a chance, could you post some more detailed pics. of the lifting struts and cabinet relation.

I have been sitting in my Skamper wondering how to get more storage. It is perfect with me and the wife, but when the little ones come with us I think things will get tight real quick. Overhead cabinets would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Ill have to get you pictures in the next few days as they are on my home computer, but I do know the exact dimension, and can tell you where to place it....

Mine was 47" wide, 7-1/4" thick, and 14" (plus 3/4" for doors) deep. The width could go a bit wider. I think about 5'-6" between struts. I went with 47" for 2 reasons. 1) The sheet of 3/16" ply I had laying around to cover the cabinet was 47" wide. 2) I want to add a small 3" (+/-) shelf on the bed side for wallet, headlamps, glasses, etc and some hooks on the other side for the girls purse and my trusted flannels. The Depth and Height was controlled by the struts as they move up and down when lifting.

I lifted the top up and down and measured about 8 times. haha It came out perfect with not much room to spare probably around a 1/2". Seeing that yours is a different model, you might be wider and longer. My camper is pretty much the smallest made by skamper from what I can find on the internet, and there is not much!

For the cabinet construction I just ripped up some 3/4" pine I had laying around and covered it with that ply I had. It was super easy. I have it mounted with about 14 screws up into the ceiling... Yea I know, a lot, but there is not much structure up there, and I wanted it sturdy. The ceiling/roof is just an 1/8" or so plywood layer with 1" foam, then more ply. You will hit solid ply at the edge where the strut mounts. Also, keep the back of the cabinet about a 1/2" from the strut because when you crank the roof down it will get tight between the wall and cabinet where the canvas folds.

Let me know if you have any more questions. :sombrero:
Paul

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
I will definitely get back to you on this.

Do you mind if I post pics. of my lift struts here in your thread? For reference only?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I will definitely get back to you on this.

Do you mind if I post pics. of my lift struts here in your thread? For reference only?

Sorry about the delayed reply. Been really busy, and had to take advantage of the storm we got here in CA. It dumped snow this past weekend and I made a day trip to the sierras (China peak) for the powder!

Here's the only picture I have of the cabinet when the roof is collapsed.

P2130239.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions. No problem on posting picts here, or throw them on your thread and we'll all chime in. Either way is fine with me! :smiley_drive:

Paul

SLO_F-250

Explorer

Thanks.

Toolbox,
A few more picts of how I mounted mine and where its at.

Rear Mounting point in relation to supports.
2011-03-12_13-57-51_11.jpg

Middle mounts.
2011-03-12_13-58-01_79.jpg

Front Mounts
2011-03-12_13-58-16_639.jpg

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well, I threw the camper on the rig this weekend because Im headed up to Pinnalcles National Monument with some fiends next weekend. The ground was soft from the rain, and everything was green so while I was at it, I decided to throw the truck in 4x4 and cruise around my Grandparents 40 acres. Here are a few shots!! :smiley_drive:

2011-03-12_10-43-38_226.jpg

Its amazing how when you are in the truck with the camper on it, it feels like its about to tip over. Then you get out and inspect and you are no where close! :wings:

2011-03-12_10-43-26_967.jpg

2011-03-12_10-45-51_400.jpg

2011-03-12_10-53-09_703.jpg

Then I decided to build myself a little spice rack. What do you guys think??? Saves some drawer space. Just the basics for some good ole camp cook'n! :chef:

2011-03-12_13-25-10_921.jpg

2011-03-12_13-31-53_380.jpg

Next on the list is an awning. Please shoot me some links with suggestions. What would you all recommend???

Hope all is well everyone! :smiley_drive:

Paul

tom

Paul,

Nice job on the scamper. Looks like you camp like my wife and I, simple.
Great idea with the lockable storage boxes. When I build another TC I would like to use your storage box idea.

Nice job and happy camping!

Tom

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Paul,

Nice job on the scamper. Looks like you camp like my wife and I, simple.
Great idea with the lockable storage boxes. When I build another TC I would like to use your storage box idea.

Nice job and happy camping!

Tom

Thanks Tom! I did the Tent thing with Rubbermaid bins with gear for years. It was like Jenga every single time with lots of setup. I love the pop-up camper life. It was probably the best $1400 project I've every gotten myself into. Best yet it is pretty much done. Ive got about 13-14 trips on it in the past year, and plan for many more. Next Mod is a wind deflector up top. The skamper is thicker than a FWC and I think it would help the drag.

Good luck with your next build. I look forward to seeing the boxes! Make sure to take pictures! :sombrero:

Cheers,
Paul

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Guys,
While no major work has been done lately on the camper, Ive been using it plenty, and figured I would post another quick trip report. I am completely sold on the pop-up life and am very happy 15 months after taking on the Skamper project. I have averaged about one trip a month since I first got it on the truck and usable. I hope my posts, picts, and comments show that while a brand new FWC, Phoenix, Northstar, etc would be sweet, settling and getting something that works and is in the budget can be just as fun and satisfactory. As they say, its about the journey and not the destination right? :ylsmoke:

I recently planned and lead a hiking camping trip to Pinnacles National Monument, CA for 14 friends. I was pleasantly surprised with the park and had a great time. While the it is defiantly more touristy with packed campgrounds, I lucked out and got one of the secluded group sites, great weather, and we had a blast doing some great hiking. I would defiantly go back some day.

Camp Set up. Ole' Skamper there in the background.

P4090272.jpg

Start of Old Pinnacles Trail in the AM.

DSCN1623.jpg

Graham2.jpg

Lunch with a view. (That's me in the orange shirt and bandanna) :elkgrin:

YPNGPinnaclesB-2.jpg

DSCN1621.jpg

P4090144.jpg

And a parting shot.

Graham1.jpg

Im headed out to the Carizzo Plain this weekend to go camp and explore a bit of the Tumbler Mountain Range. Im looking forward to getting on some dirt roads.

Ive been working on the Superduty a lot (preventative Maintenance) and a version 2.0 of a custom 4 bike rack for future trips. This will be test run #2. Ill post some picts up after and look forward to hearing comments.

Hope all is well with everyone, and happy camping!! :smiley_drive:
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles