Budget Skamper Fix/Build

GSNH

Skamper 086S?

I have found a Skamper 086S for sale locally. Seller is asking $1995 OBO, which is way too much based on my limited research.

I have not been inside but it looks like it's in usable shape. However, I can't find any reference to a model 086S anywhere?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this model?

Great thread!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
looks real good!

THANKS! Next up, new rear bumper with tire swing out and jerry can holder. :elkgrin:

I have found a Skamper 086S for sale locally. Seller is asking $1995 OBO, which is way too much based on my limited research.

I have not been inside but it looks like it's in usable shape. However, I can't find any reference to a model 086S anywhere?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this model?

Great thread!

Hey, Thanks for the compliment. Yea, there is not much out there on the Skamper Campers. I think the couple threads on here are the most info on the web. Unless I missed something. haha From what I can tell, the model number is simply the length. Mine is 060S so 6'0" "S" probably stands for Skamper.

xdbx 072S He has his on a longbed. Looks to be 7'2" Long

lefty's 100S His is the extra long one, with drop down rear, so 10'0" Long.

Im not sure how they designate the campers for mid-sized trucks or not. All the others ones I have seen are for the full size rigs. My guess for yours is 8'-6" long. Fits the long bed and will stick out a bit, but doesn't have a drop down as Lefty's does.

Good Luck! Lets us know how it goes! :smiley_drive:

Paul

bftank

Explorer
bump for bumper progress!

seems like i go through this thread front to back, and always get new ideas from it to implement into my build. thanks for putting this up here!

Boxlunch

Slo....

I'd really like to see what you did for tiedown points on the right hand side of the camper. I have some ideas for mine but the slide out couch/bed base makes it hard to simply put an eye bolt in there. I will be securing mine to the inside of the bed much the same way as you did.

I like what you did for the left side of the camper, I was just planning on putting an eye bolt through the jack plates and putting some aluminum backing plates on the inside of the camper for strength.

Thanks dood.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Slo....

I'd really like to see what you did for tiedown points on the right hand side of the camper. I have some ideas for mine but the slide out couch/bed base makes it hard to simply put an eye bolt in there. I will be securing mine to the inside of the bed much the same way as you did.

I like what you did for the left side of the camper, I was just planning on putting an eye bolt through the jack plates and putting some aluminum backing plates on the inside of the camper for strength.

Thanks dood.

I fabbed up these plates at all (3) jack locations. They are just 1/4" plate with bent rod welded to them. They bold to the stock points. I then use ratcheting tie-downs to the stock bed hooks at the bottom of each corner of the bed. I know there are a lot of different opinions on here on what to use and why not to use stock locations. My superduty stock hooks are physically bolted to the deck with backing plates ant 3/8" bolts. It is pretty stout in my opinion and in 2-1/2" years of beating on it no sign of problems at all. :elkgrin:

I didnt do anything on the inside of the camper. Mine had oversized plate washers on the inside. HOPE THIS HELPS! Good luck!

P3070016.jpg

bump for bumper progress!

seems like i go through this thread front to back, and always get new ideas from it to implement into my build. thanks for putting this up here!

Haha Thanks for the bump! No progress lately. Poor camper has been sitting for a while as I am in the process of moving to Santa Barbara, CA from San Luis Obispo (SLO). Guess ole SLO_F-250 names outta date! haha This county boy is going to stand out like a sore thumb! haha :elkgrin: It should be fun though. I am opening a satellite office for my structural engineering firm.

2012-05-19_14-18-52_171.jpg

Camper/truck work should start back up in a few weeks. Tire swing out on the bumper is high priority as well as battery isolator system and airbags on the rig. Also, anyone know of budget jerrycan holders? How would these bad boys do bolted to the back of the camper? Seems to be the best one I found. Here's another, but seems cheap. :chef: What do you guys think??

THANKS!
Paul

Boxlunch

I fabbed up these plates at all (3) jack locations. They are just 1/4" plate with bent rod welded to them. They bold to the stock points. I then use ratcheting tie-downs to the stock bed hooks at the bottom of each corner of the bed......

......I didnt do anything on the inside of the camper. Mine had oversized plate washers on the inside. HOPE THIS HELPS! Good luck!

Paul

OK so you're using three tiedown points on the camper and 4 in the bed... I get it now. I will be adding new tiedown points to the bed floor, my F150's factory tie down points look like they are in some thin metal. :eek:

My jack supports are just carriage bolted to the wood on the camper sides with absolutely no plating or even a washer!! So I'll be beefing those up slightly!

Thanks for the response!

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Hello, Paul,

I've been following much of your build from the sidelines and really enjoy it. I've owned 3 Skampers in my day. Great campers.

I think the Smittybilt jerry can holder would look best and seems more robust. I vote for Smittybilt!

I invested in an AT for water on the back of my Apache popup. I tried to make sure that the weight wouldn't tear off the back wall by using heavy steel straps on the bottom for support, with additional steel as backing plates. Kept it down low for better weight distribution. So far no issues, even on washboard roads. Here's what it looks like.

CIMG0033.jpg

The Ford looks really great, BTW. Keep up the good work.

Keep on Truckin'

Cliff

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hello, Paul,

I've been following much of your build from the sidelines and really enjoy it. I've owned 3 Skampers in my day. Great campers.

I think the Smittybilt jerry can holder would look best and seems more robust. I vote for Smittybilt!

I invested in an AT for water on the back of my Apache popup. I tried to make sure that the weight wouldn't tear off the back wall by using heavy steel straps on the bottom for support, with additional steel as backing plates. Kept it down low for better weight distribution. So far no issues, even on washboard roads. Here's what it looks like.

The Ford looks really great, BTW. Keep up the good work.

Keep on Truckin'

Cliff

Thanks for the input and compliments Cliff!! I was thinking the Smittybuilt as well. Plus, you cant beat the price! I like those AT Jerry Can holders, but WOW they are rediculously expensive. :Wow1: Ill order one up soon! I will have to mount part of it to my "shim boxes" I built. I cant mount mine as low as you because I still have the tailgate on my rig. Well see how it goes. :snorkel:

OK so you're using three tiedown points on the camper and 4 in the bed... I get it now. I will be adding new tiedown points to the bed floor, my F150's factory tie down points look like they are in some thin metal.

My jack supports are just carriage bolted to the wood on the camper sides with absolutely no plating or even a washer!! So I'll be beefing those up slightly!

Thanks for the response!

No problem! Good Luck!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well everyone, a sad & exciting day has come. :elkgrin: Recently an early 90's FWC Hawk came up for sale 15 miles down the road. I was not even thinking about selling the skamper and getting another but mearly just cruising craigslist as I'm sure a lot of you do. The add was only a couple of hours old so I decided to check it out. Well, lets just say the rest is history. Before I know it I was driving down the road with my 2nd camper! :smiley_drive:

My main reason for snagging the FWC hawk was that is was made for a full size truck, had a queen bed (girlfriend was sold at that haha), and was more comfortable inside with more area. All the amenities are the same, but just a more comfortable floor plan because it is bigger. So, its time to start the 2nd camper rebuild.

HawkFord-Copy.jpg

With that being said, I am going to be VERY sad to see the Skamper go. :( Been a great 2.5 years and I have had way more fun with it than I ever imagined. I am hoping that another portal member will want it, and am hoping that they would like to put it on a full size truck as everything is built for it as of now. Please let me know if anyone or anyone's friends are interested. It would be nice to see it go to a good home. I figured I would put some feelers out here right now. I probably wont post if for sale for another month or so because I need to switch "set-ups" to the Hawk. But please let me know if you or anyone else is interested. Im still deciding on a price, but feel free to make me an offer.

Thank for everyone who was following and helping me out through this build/adventure! :clapsmile Ill be starting a new thread for the HAWK soon!

A parting shot.

FOR SALE - 1989 Skamper 060S
P5250745.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Boxlunch

Nice man!!! :clapsmile

I'm glad you built your Skamper so I could copy some of your work, but congrats on the new camper! Looks like it fits your truck like a glove! One of these days I'll get some pics up of my build but right now I'm just trying to get everything done for an upcoming trip.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Congrates which u were closer. I havebeen looking for one that small for my ford ranger but cant find one around here for almost 2 year.Good luck .

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nice man!!! :clapsmile

I'm glad you built your Skamper so I could copy some of your work, but congrats on the new camper! Looks like it fits your truck like a glove! One of these days I'll get some pics up of my build but right now I'm just trying to get everything done for an upcoming trip.

Thank you. Copy away! Ideas stem from ideas! Looking forward to seeing the progress and picts of what you come up

rangerdogg said:
Congrates which u were closer. I havebeen looking for one that small for my ford ranger but cant find one around here for almost 2 year.Good luck .

Dang! HAHA We could thrown it on your rig quick! Thanks and hope you find one for yourself!

duhandyman

If you still got that rig let me know. I've been watching your progress since the beginning since I'm a slo native. I did a similar build up with a phoenix pop up that I got rid of last summer and I've been looking off and on for a replacement.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well, It is time to say goodbye to an old friend. After a couple months of coordinating the Skamper has a new home. Congrats to the new owner. He stopped by my place months ago after noticing it in my driveway. He gave me his email and said if I ever wanted to sell it let him know. He was the first person I contacted after getting the Hawk. I have encouraged him to get on this forum and keep the adventures of the skamper going. Either this thread or a new one. Anyways, here are a few shots of it's new home.

P9080353.jpg

P9080351.jpg

P9080350.jpg

Again, thanks to all you for the encouragement, advice, and praise over the years. It was sure a fun project!! :victory:
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles