Wildlife Photography

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow some really strong images here recently. Nevadajh, either you are shooting inside a nice zoo, or your are a hunter-Ninja and move silently through the forests....

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Any advice on what one to print and hang?
Assuming it is sharp I would frame #2 fawn, It's the cleanest composition I think, but I would crop (or Photoshop) the small out-of-focus triangle in the bottom right corner.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Assuming it is sharp I would frame #2 fawn, It's the cleanest composition I think, but I would crop (or Photoshop) the small out-of-focus triangle in the bottom right corner.

That is the one that I am leaning towards or one of the whales. The little triangle is part of the boardwalk I was next to and I agree I would like to crop it out.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Neighborhood Hawk Visit

This guy visits us all the time. Last night he just happened to land and pose for us in the golden light before sunset. :sombrero:

_MG_6040-XL.jpg

_MG_6041-XL.jpg

_MG_6044-XL.jpg

_MG_6045-XL.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Ooo nice. I like your smugmug shots as well.

So you can get Kimberley Kampers in the 'States then?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Ooo nice. I like your smugmug shots as well.

So you can get Kimberley Kampers in the 'States then?

Hi Rob,

Thanks. Yep we can import Kimberley products. I had a Kimberley Kamper for several years and then brought in the first Kimberley Karavan to the US. There are now two Karavans in the US an new Cruiser being delivered this month.

I appreciate your compliment. Your photography is outstanding. :victory:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Big Horn Sheep sighting in the Eastern Sierras at about 13,000' while I was descending from the summit of White Mountain 14,252' (3rd highest peak in California, 14th highest in lower 48). I wish I had a telephoto lens with me, but with 43% less oxygen when at the summit compared to sea level, I was keeping my pack weight to a minimum.
7Ab2I2z.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Some intense closeups there Mr Gray. Aussie land looks like a great place to photograph some seriously dangerous animals lol.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Taken today after a nice little hike with the family. Funny, the only decent shots I had the whole time happened on our way out.
JDA_0178.jpgJDA_0408-Edit.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
with 43% less oxygen when at the summit compared to sea level, I was keeping my pack weight to a minimum.
Time to man up and take that 600 f4 :)

Yeah carrying photo gear on walks is the bane of my life, I love my SLR gear but a I'm getting close to walking with a small kit, I just haven't found anything good enough yet but last I looked some micro four thirds systems were getting close.

Aussie land looks like a great place to photograph some seriously dangerous animals
We're a bit lucky here, only one or two animals that will eat you, plenty that will kill you though if that distinction helps :)

Nice birds, did one of them catch that huge fish? This is where a 600 f4 can be very useful (not that I own one, but a guy can dream).

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
We're a bit lucky here, only one or two animals that will eat you, plenty that will kill you though if that distinction helps :)

Nice birds, did one of them catch that huge fish? This is where a 600 f4 can be very useful (not that I own one, but a guy can dream).

Yeah I am not sure if they caught the fish or not, seemed like an awfully big for their size but I have seen such catches by similar built birds before, Caracara are renown scavengers so. As for the 600mm I would have loved one here but I had the 70-200 w/2x telecon. I was able to scoot pretty dang close and could have gotten closer but the crowd I was drawing was getting pretty brazen, ultimately scaring the duo off. Considering I was only about 18ft away and they did not budge until this woman decided to walk toward them to make them fly... Kind of ticked me off actually.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
70-200 w/2x telecon
My standard wildlife setup for years, a great combination and very versatile.

I guess we'd all love a 600/4 but to be honest they are just too large and heavy for most work. I now have a Canon 400/4 DO

400.png

usually with a 1.4x, that lens it small and light and a joy to use. I miss having zoom but you can't have everything.

Kind of ticked me off actually.
That happens when there are people around, I saw a pic the other day of something like 100 cars around some wildlife animal in Kenya. What a nightmare. And you get people revving engines to try and get the animal to do something, driving right up close etc.

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
My standard wildlife setup for years, a great combination and very versatile.

I guess we'd all love a 600/4 but to be honest they are just too large and heavy for most work. I now have a Canon 400/4 DO

400.png

usually with a 1.4x, that lens it small and light and a joy to use. I miss having zoom but you can't have everything.

That happens when there are people around, I saw a pic the other day of something like 100 cars around some wildlife animal in Kenya. What a nightmare. And you get people revving engines to try and get the animal to do something, driving right up close etc.

Yeah I have debated a 500/4 for quite some time but the $$$$ just scares the heck out of me lol. I would also like to get the newest 2x telecon as from what I have heard it quite a bit sharper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz