Oregon 550 vs 60csx

Spikepretorius

Explorer
So I was collecting my 60csx at the supplier a couple of days ago when I had a sudden burst of indecision and then handed it back and took an Oregon 550 instead.
Comments? Good move or bad move?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
At our store, the Map60csx is still our number one seller. The interface of the Oregon series isn't to some people's liking as they prefer more dedicated buttons, but the Oregon series is the more versitile and up to date line. I think you made a good choice.

oz97tj

Observer
I have an Oregon 400t. I'm not so sure I need a camera in my gps, but it's kind of a cool gadget I suppose. I love my Oregon. You won't be disappointed in it's performance.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
On subject: Using a Geko 201. Can you, with the Oregon series, scroll around the map view? Situation: Out hunting in the mountains and fog rolls in when I'm more than 1/2 way back to the truck. Don't want to retrace my steps but rather head back in the most direct route. Whereas on the Geko all I can do is : Guess or follow the crumb trail/retrace back.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Don't want to retrace my steps but rather head back in the most direct route
I've only used my Oregon once but it seems that when heading back it shows a direct bearing to your destination/start point on the screen all the time so you should be able to take a short cut

60CSx is faster and more accurate
I read up on the subject and apparently the 60csx no longer has the chipset that made it famous for accuracy and now has a similar chipset to the Oregon, hence my decision to lean towards the Oregon now instead because the gap has apparently narrowed

Last edited:

vdeal

Observer
I read up on the subject and apparently the 60csx no longer has the chipset that made it famous for accuracy and now has a similar chipset to the Oregon, hence my decision to lean towards the Oregon now instead because the gap has apparently narrowed

The chip that gave the GPSMap 60csx it's edge in accuracy is the SirfStarIII chip. Garmin still shows the Sirf symbol at the bottom of their 60csx webpage. See here. The Oregon 550 does not have the Sirf symbol on it's webpage.

vdeal

Observer
Well, a little more follow-up and this gets kinda mysterious. A lot of gps user forums are indicating that the newer 60csx units use the MediaTek chip now instead of the SirfStar. The problem I'm having is that they are all relying on the software and/or firmware versions to determine this. I haven't found one site where someone has taken apart a unit to actually see what's inside. I'll keep looking and if I find a site I'll post it. I did find an article about the different chipsets Garmin has used. Here's the link to that site. For the record, I have a GPSMap 60C - pre sirf and have been pretty happy with it. I was going to get a 60csx but I'll take a look at the newer offerings since chip performance has seemed to reach something of a parity.

Travelmore

Adventurer
vdeal that is an interesting link. I have a nuvi 660 that should have the SiRFstarIII and the 60CSx and it is night and day difference in startup and locate times. The 60 CSx gets a signal and locates much faster than the nuvi. The 60 CSx is new straight from the factory not a retailer so maybe I have the new chip MTK v2/3329.
http://www.mediatek.com/en/news/info.php?sn=15

Last edited:

oz97tj

Observer
Yes, you can scroll around the map, or you can just pick the waypoint (you marked it when you left the truck, right?) and it'll point you in a straight line to it.

As for the accuracy, this really is a wasted arguement. The 60 may be more accurate, but when you figure both will get you within 10 ft (often under 5 on my Oregon) of a location it's a bit of a moot point. To the people who want to argue that, I've spent time in the woods with people that have the CSX and we both end up at the same place.

Last edited:

oz97tj

Observer
It should also be mentioned that both the Oregon and the CSX have the same antenna. They both have a quad helix antenna. The Oregons is just laid down inside the unit.

What this means is they will get reception anywhere except for directly above the antenna. In the CSX, if the antenna is pointing straight up in the air, and the sat is directly above it then it won't see it. The Oregons antenna is pointed to the right, so if you are holding it straight up and down, the top of the antenna would be pointing to your right. Odds of the antenna being in the dead spot are slim anyway. The difference is the chipset that was mentioned earlier, but both are still very accurate.

The other common antenna in Garmins is a patch antenna, where it only wants to receive in one direction. It's used commonly in some of the lower end units.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I was disappointed in the Oregon's short battery life and poor illumination, so I returned it to the store and returned to my faithful 60csx.

The Oregon is uber pretty, if that is impotant.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
For those of you who have tried both the 60csx and the Oregon series Garmins, is the Oregon series significantly quicker in transferring files between the gps and a PC? According to the Garmin site, the Oregon series has the faster USB connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles