Roof Tent Ladder to Bullbar? How to OPEN it??

Riflman

Observer
OK. I've had a roof tent since 2003. I've struggled with mounting options that would allow me to deploy the tent without dropping my boat or motorcycle/ATV trailer (meaning no rear mounting) and make the best use of my Technitop awning and shower stall/ice fishing shack. Mounting from the side means that to mount the awning, I only have a four foot length of track to slide it into but is ideal for the shower stall/ice shack. So...I've been thinking I might try the bull bar front mount idea, since I rarely use the shower stall.

Now the problem with that is.....how in the heck do you deploy it?? When I do it from the side or the back, I'm climbing up and haul it up and down and jumping off the truck at the same time. I really don't see how someone could deploy the tent over the hood without either destroying the hood or having two people and a couple of stools. I've always thought this type of rigging was just for making cool pictures. If anyone actually runs their tent this way and regularly uses it, can you please share how exactly you do it? THANK YOU! :coffeedrink::coffeedrink:

Just had an idea for you that might work great. Take a piece of paracord or rope. from the side you are standing on use one hand to deploy it and with the other you will hold the rope that runs to the back of the roof rack either looped around the tubing or use a small pulley and this will allow you to deploy the tent alone.

gjackson

FRGS
Done it that way for a long time. I get on the roof-rack behind the tent and remove the cover. Then remove the front cover on the tent. Then unclasp the tent and open the rear door. Flip the tent open while lifting the matress to make sure it doesn't get stuck in the hinge. Extend the rear poles. Off the roof rack in front of the truck I attach the ladder to the tent and bullbar. Go up that ladder to extend the front poles.

And that's it. Don't see how you could hit the hood unless you have a long ladder attachment on the tent. I have a spare on the hood, and have never hit that.

D-031.jpg

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles