Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack lighting options ???

Default Roof Rack lighting options ???

I have a pretty general question regarding the choice of lighting for the forward facing light on a roof rack.

I have hear various conversations about what type of lights to install. Some say fog/flood lights others say pencil beam/driving lights other say a mixture. I would like to get some input from everyone here.

I'm currently looking at the Hella 500 series lights 6" round. They come in the driving and the fog beam patterns. I have space for a total of 4 lights on the Gobi rack.

My initial thoughts are to have the two center lights as the driving light pattern for forward distance lighting. The two outer lights would be the fog light pattern for side visibility and slightly angled outwards.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kenallwine View Post
    I have a pretty general question regarding the choice of lighting for the forward facing light on a roof rack.

I have hear various conversations about what type of lights to install. Some say fog/flood lights others say pencil beam/driving lights other say a mixture. I would like to get some input from everyone here.

I'm currently looking at the Hella 500 series lights 6" round. They come in the driving and the fog beam patterns. I have space for a total of 4 lights on the Gobi rack.

My initial thoughts are to have the two center lights as the driving light pattern for forward distance lighting. The two outer lights would be the fog light pattern for side visibility and slightly angled outwards.

Any thoughts?
    A problem with lights up top is light scatter. There can be a lot of reflective light from the windscreen and a well painted hood. For that reason I like spot beams up top because they don't scatter the light as much as driving lights do. I run ipf 868's with 100wt bulbs on my gobi stealth rack. I'm happy with the setup.

Fogs are better low on the ground not on the roof

Yeah, I thought fogs would be the ticket for close in lighting, but have heard from several places they are not suitable.

I'm using 4 Hella FF500 driving lights on my truck. Even though they are not a pencil beam, I still find that they "spot" a little too much for my liking. I'm only trying to light up the ground within about 200 feet of the truck. I don't need long range where I live. My long range lights are Hella FF1000's on my brush bar. Those are legal to use on the roads, and that's why I have them. The roof lights are not legal to use on the roads, and trails here are tight, so there's no point trying to project light too far. I think what many of us who travel on tight trails need is actually Worklights, but those aren't "cool" so...

Yeah, 200 feet is about all I would need. I am anticipating that most of my travels will be in the woods anyway. So already the concensus is - NO FOG ligts.
    Ken Allwine
    "Life is a journey, enjoy it!"

I have sadly sold my JK to get an F-150.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Fog lights are fine mounted down low and used as fog lights. They don't work well as flood lights. Lots of options for flood lights but they aren't sexy so you don't see them advertised much.
    2004 Dodge 2500 CTD 4WD FWC
    1960 Jeep CJ5
    KK6AUI
    Member CA4WDC, BRC, UFWDA, Tread Lightly
    "The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience"
    - Albert Camus

spots over your head, everything else front of the hood line, and down. at that distance driving will work fine.
    04 TJ Unlimited / Mobile Doo-Dad display
    KE5PPH

4 6" hella's and love it.

Fogs down low below the bumper if possible
    Driving lights at or near bumper level
    Spots up high pilar mount or roof rack
    Floods make good side or back up lights mounted high

Most of us really have no need for spots. If I need more distance than I get out of my lightforces, I'm driving way too fast
    2004 Dodge 2500 CTD 4WD FWC
    1960 Jeep CJ5
    KK6AUI
    Member CA4WDC, BRC, UFWDA, Tread Lightly
    "The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience"
    - Albert Camus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast