P38 Range Rover Discussion

Scott Brady

Founder
As many of you know, I am looking for a new vehicle. I am considering a few other options, but would like to focus this thread on the Range Rover. I really like the classic Rangies too, but they are pretty aged in 2007. So, I thought the experts could help me with a curiosity. The P38 Range Rover. This will principally be Stephanie's machine, with use as a light trail machine and customer transport. Of course, I will kit it out a bit too. :ylsmoke:

tech1.jpg

Actually, this RockRover is what got me thinking about the P38 at all when it was on display at the LRNR in Moab.

So this leads me to my questions:

What are the major issues with the P38?
I have not heard of significant reliability issues with the model, outside of the airbag system. Is this true?
Can the viscous transfer case be swapped out for a unit with CDL?

Any other thoughts? Particular years to avoid?

Brian894x4

Explorer
Scott,

Are you looking to replace the Tacoma, or a second vehicle? Just curious. Sorry I can't offer anything on this particular model.

Scott Brady

Founder
Good question Brian, and I should clarify.

Tacoma: The Tacoma will be my primary adventure machine for the next 2.5 years, taking me all the way through the end of the South America trip.

Jeep: For Sale, and will be replaced by a cool motorcycle (still not sure which one yet; trying to learn from the gurus). I am not real motivated to sell the Jeep quite yet as I haven't figured out the replacement, and its still a little chilly in Prescott :)

Trooper: There is nothing wrong with the Trooper, but it is time to look for a replacement. For several reasons, but mostly for an interim project with wider appeal. I need a road trip, training, customer transport and Stephanie transport. She really like the Land Rovers, and I think they are fun machines too. So the Trooper is being replaced by the P38 or similar.

I have not decided on the P38, just want to research if it is a viable solution. I actually prefer the Classic RR more, but they will be high mileage (last made in 1995). We have owned a 2001 Discovery II and would like to try something different.

Once we determine if the P38 is a good fit, then I will start an new thread on comparing all of the models.

Have you talked with "Pugsly" ... Jon ... memory fails me.

He's had their 110 all over the place and has begun modifying their P38 as well.

I'll go search for some links and report back.

ed ... Aha, look at http://pugsly.bechange.com/range rover projects.htm for some info..
Also, just thought of Jeff Corwin http://www.jcrover4x4.com/ he's modified the air springs with bits from Arnott and the height sensors as well.

In general it seems that if you carry the LR testbook with you, you're just fine ;)

KAA

Last edited:

david despain

Adventurer
thats allan bates p-38 isnt it? i nicer truck i have never seen.
are u going to stay with the eas air bag stuff or ditch alll that and go coils? that's a major source of headache and expense. i too have been trying to convince myself i need a rangie and i waffle on whether it should be a rrc or p-38. i love the iconic style of the classic but i desire a newer vehicle with less rust. but there are so many more places and system to pour money into with a p-38. and the aftermarket is almost non-existant. but the stuff that is out there is pretty cool. and since its unlikely you need to go X-TREEEEEEME with it i would suspect you can source or build what ever it is you want for it. the prices are coming down on them almost to the point where i could afford one in a few years. one other good thing is you can get a 4.6 motor in these before it was available in the disco. not a really dificult swap from what i hear but if its availabble factory then u know it will work.

have u seen these
http://www.rangie.com/
http://www.rangerovers.net/

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
My brother-in-law has one.

In fact I helped him pick it out. It was previously owned by a Rover mechanic, and was in very good shape for what it was. Since then normal wear and tear has brought the mighty Rover down a notch in my book.

Here is a list of issues he has encountered this past year that contribute my thoughts:
  • Seems way under powered (seems to have issues with hills)
  • All plastics cracked or will break due to AZ heat (front grill, A/C condensation hoses, interior knobs and switches, horn, ect..)
  • Door handles broke
  • aft lift gas struts broke
  • Fuel tank hose cracked and broke

It has some great styling and load capabilities that may be hindered by the underpowered engine. With his rover being a street queen, I can not imagine the increase in failures if were used off-road.

I am sad to say that I recommend this vehicle to my brother-in-law as "good vehicle." I am sure that with the right resources you would be able to find an expedition worthy P38 but inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Especially watch the plastics and the rubber.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Scott, as you know I approach Land Rovers as a highly interested third party except in the case of the Series III I own.

I have to say that I recall reading and hearing more complaints about the P38 series Rangie than any other. Perhaps that should not dissuade you from buying, especially if sales prices reflect the perception, but it's certainly something to consider.

Personally, I would rather spend the money on a really pristine southwestern Range Rover Classic.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
This will be an interesting thread to watch. I really dig the Classics myself and almost purchased one (close enough that my gf told me to put the cash back in my pocket and just think about it overnight after a test drive). I have read up a bit on some of the problem areas on those but have often wondered if the P38's are any better. There is one locally that I swear I see driving around half of the time with the rear airbags flat on it.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Hmmmm, great question :)

Something "bigger", but I am really not sure what that would be.

You certainly seem to have high praise for the new JK's, but not sure if that woudl count as 'bigger' though.

I am betting if they made the Gladiator with a diesel...in white....

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
P38s are really cheap now because they are money pits to keep running.

If you are a good mechanic, have access to parts cheap and buy a second one as a parts donor - - Maybe.

david despain

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
My brother-in-law has one.
In fact I helped him pick it out. It was previously owned by a Rover mechanic, and was in very good shape for what it was. Since then normal wear and tear has brought the mighty Rover down a notch in my book.
Here is a list of issues he has encountered this past year that contribute my thoughts:
  • Seems way under powered (seems to have issues with hills)
  • All plastics cracked or will break due to AZ heat (front grill, A/C condensation hoses, interior knobs and switches, horn, ect..)
  • Door handles broke
  • aft lift gas struts broke
  • Fuel tank hose cracked and broke
It has some great styling and load capabilities that may be hindered by the underpowered engine. With his rover being a street queen, I can not imagine the increase in failures if were used off-road.
I am sad to say that I recommend this vehicle to my brother-in-law as "good vehicle." I am sure that with the right resources you would be able to find an expedition worthy P38 but inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Especially watch the plastics and the rubber.

oh Will you just dont feel the LR love. nothing wrong with that, but if you dont then you will never like a leaky, broke, slow, christmas tree dash, experiance. If that SHORT list of stuff that broke is all that is wrong with that rangie then i'd consider that to be a truck is excellent shape. :Mechanic: They have their problem areas for sure; i would sort out the EAS air suspension and go to coils the first time it droped to the frame in "limp home" mode. i would go over the engine and such with a fine tooth comb before purchase and then replace all the replaceables when i got it home.
but with the exception of maybe some variant of the iconic land crusier this :26_13_1: only belongs on the spare tire cover or painted on the quater pannel of a rover. oh the civility and noble land rover, nothing is as proper as the queens car at a polo match. and the tailgate on a range rover makes an excellent place to prepare the afternoon tea.
and i will have you know that only the finest english parts are falling off this truck. so sayeth the owner of a broke(CEL & three amigos) double ought disco that has factory running boards and never been in the dirt, but my wife did take it to starbucks on saturday!

Scott Brady

Founder
The Tacoma replacement wont be an SUV, but a larger "truck".

In the mean-time, I am looking for an SUV to replace the Trooper and the YJ Wrangler. Two schools of thought right now. Buy an older vehicle and have fun with it for a year or two and then but a new vehicle (I am really wanting diesel), or buy a new vehicle now. The replacement will need to have at least as good trail performance as the Trooper, which is no small feat.

While in Denver I am driving a 6-speed, 4-Door JK Rubicon. I REALLY am falling for it bad... :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles