Back country adventures with kids...how do you do it?

The funnest part has been teaching my little girl to potty in the woods... thats why I bring her momma along.:)

My youngin is almost 4 and our trips have been held together by snacks, toys, and letting her get away with a little fun. I give her my camera sometimes and I end up getting a couple fun pictures out of it. Thankfully, she has been a great travel partner, especially when its just the two of us!

10941_545368585441_62002887_31994792_7303058_n.jpg

20268_550959860481_62002887_32147725_5900010_n.jpg

P9270267.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Oh, and toys... I have a set of plastic construction vehicles which are dedicated just to camping. So, they are "new" to him any time we go out, which makes a big difference. I also like to buy little kiddy size versions of the camping equipment. He has a tiny sleeping bag, tiny folding chair, etc. Kids love kid sized things.

Oh, and toys... I have a set of plastic construction vehicles which are dedicated just to camping. So, they are "new" to him any time we go out, which makes a big difference. I also like to buy little kiddy size versions of the camping equipment. He has a tiny sleeping bag, tiny folding chair, etc. Kids love kid sized things.

Yeh, meant to mention the same thing above....

Besides what you mentioned there, being able to play with "daddy's toys" makes a big difference too. You can see she has my binoculars and in another pic she has a little walking stick, just like daddy. Its your kid, you should know what makes them smile!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...going to Canyonlands and hitting elephant hill or the maze district for 3 or 4 days

Personally recommend Needles & Elephant Hill area over Maze for children. The hikes are smaller, the travel is less and there are a few kid-cool things to do.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26709&p=388406

She brought up the thought that sitting in the rig for 4-5 hours to get there and then while you are there sitting in the rig throughout the day, and sitting and sitting and sitting, doesn't sound like a good time.
She's correct. It is grossly painful, but have to break it up.

says that the boys won't care about the scenery, that they are too young.
She is correct again. The destinations and stops and playing will be remembered.

Do they handle all the driving well? Is it like pulling teeth and more of a headache than it is worth.
Sometimes.

1. Try to go with another family with similarly aged kids.
4. Bring toys that you think are a waste of space, ask Pskhaat about the priceless dump trucks.

Oh, and toys... I have a set of plastic construction vehicles which are dedicated just to camping. So, they are "new" to him any time we go out, which makes a big difference.

We carry around 3 plastic dump trucks that are ONLY used when in the bush. YMMV:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26709&p=388950

DSC01214.JPG

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
I am dying to get out on some good back country adventures, I really want to have those memories and enjoy the great outdoors with my two young boys and my wife. My boys are 1.5yrs and 3.5 yrs.

I brought up the idea to the wife about going to Canyonlands and hitting elephant hill or the maze district for 3 or 4 days, (I've been and really loved it) and didn't get an enthusiastic reply. She brought up the thought that sitting in the rig for 4-5 hours to get there and then while you are there sitting in the rig throughout the day, and sitting and sitting and sitting, doesn't sound like a good time. She thinks that the boys wouldn't have any fun because they would be strapped in their car seats "the whole trip".
I told her that it's about the journey, the scenery, the memories. She doesn't want to go on a trip to be stuck in a car for 4 days, and says that the boys won't care about the scenery, that they are too young.

My question is HOW DO YOU DO IT?

I have seen tons of pics on here of you guys out and about with your little ones, and your wives. Do they handle all the driving well? Is it like pulling teeth and more of a headache than it is worth. Help me out here. I don't want to resort to leaving them behind and heading out with the guys for 3-4 days cause that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms at home.

Thanks in advance.

I had similar conversations with my wife a few years ago when my kids were about the same age. Cutting through the fog, these 'concerns' were largely my wife's aversion to the sort of 'adventures' I enjoy. Fast forward 3-4 years, and all is well. I decided to take the kids camping in the backcountry solo with a friend or two and their kids. A dad and kids adventure. As expected, the dads and kids all had a great time with no issues. We drove for hours over rough roads and camped primitive. We got very dirty, stayed up late, ate smores, fished, hiked, shot the target rifle and explored cool areas. My kids are hooked and can't wait for the next trip. My wife is happy too because she likes to see us have these experiences and does not want to stand in the way. She likes to see me and the kids escape once in awhile, but just isn't a camper herself.

The advice given on how to keep kids happy is excellent. But you may also have to consider giving it a try solo (ideally with another family) to see how things work out with the kids. If you can pull that off without annoying your wife, give it a go. It also creates a bit of an incentive to do things with your wife without the kids.....which is a good thing too.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
Start now. We never had a DVD player. Drew's been off roading since in the womb. We went to Camp Jeep in Colorado (1997) when Mandy was six months prego..

We didn't wheel for the first 13-14 months, but once Mandy felt secure with his neck strength (personal issue) we went with friends. He traveled well. Slept on many a trips once we left pavement. He usually fell asleep once the jeep started rocking. We didn't do the hour breaks but bringing the correct distraction was always required. As he got older he decided to bring his own gear. Now that he's 12, well he packs quite well. He brings his DVD for highway driving to keep himself entertained. But he usually looks up where we're going and has an agend on what he wants to do on the trip.

We've usually shot for a edu-trip, so Wheeling to a Museum, ghost town, lake, or say train trip (silverton) gives them something to be patient for..
Lunch was usually an hour or two so everyone could explore throw rocks, dig in the dirt, etc.. Just overall relax, a simple trip that you could do in 4 hours might take 6 or so depending on breaks.

We have only one poor memory of Drew in the jeep is was a rocky section of trail, he wasn't asleep that day and i think teething, so it was an eject the wife and screaming kid (our group was large that day) and they walked along side the jeep (we were in 4 low) till we could pick up speed.

The wifes gotta be on board and although she might go for the trip, she might not like things like Elepant hill so take it in stride. Comfort is a two way street if you want to stay married.. :sombrero:

Start with day trips and work your way up (and the entire family) to comfort into the overnight/longer trips. We now own a Horizon from AT due to our love of trips and getting away from it all. It's been 12 years of work though on everyones part..

Enjoy your travels..

swanyo

Observer
I think the kids are the easy part as long as you are willing to make extended stops to explore and do kid stuff. We started with the DVD, but have weaned them off. Now its mostly travel games, good conversation, music and plenty of snacks.

The wife was tougher, making a clean camp environment meant allot. If she can feel clean at the end of the day, she is in a good mood. Sleeping comfort is also very important. Sleeping with sheets, quilt, pillows and being able to snuggle have made a big difference. The days of opening a cold can of pork & beans and calling it a day are over!

Also since she is in charge of documenting our travels with pictures, she is kept occupied with capturing special moments of our trip. Taking pictures of the scenery, kids and dog has given her something to do while I drive.

I'm also a big fan of setting up camp early, the kids get to play the wife can read a book in the hammock while I'm setting up camp. With good food and a camp fire, and some relaxation the wife feels like it is a true vacation for her and not a chore. I still have to give her a resort vacation every year but she enjoys the outdoors more and more. I think the main thing is to be flexible.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I've found that a little bit of 'prep work' before the trip is essential as well. I will usually ask my kids if they want to go camping, sleep in a sleeping bag, play in the dirt, go hiking, exploring etc. to get them excited about it. I am heading to Moab next weekend, and I have my son telling me every day how many days until we go to Moab.

We also have a dedicated bin for each kid to put their toys and such in. They feel like they are a part of the packing and preparation. We call it their 'job' for the trip-to get their bin packed with toys they want to bring. Even Olivia, who is small still gets the idea quick from her brother as to the routine.

FWIW, my kids are 5 and 2. Both have been camping since ~3 months of age.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
An important point, I find, is that when you stop for any time, you gotta let the kids out. Even if it takes a few extra minutes to get them back in their seats. (And that's my wife, 5 months prego at the time).

IMG_3848.jpg

So while the big boys are playing in the mud (rescuing some ATVers)

IMG_3856.jpg

The little boys can play in the mud too.

IMG_3872.jpg

And case in point, my wife and I were discussion our vacation plans this year at dinner, I asked her if she wanted to go to the Land Rover weekend again this year. Phil immediately exclaimed he "wanted to go to the Land Rover Weekend!"

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Some great thoughts in this thread, of course...

I think now, for you, the big thing will be getting your wife to read this entire thread. Do not ambush her with it, and let her find out for herself if she feels like this is a possibility.

My wife and I have taken our child (and one on the way) on every 4x4 trip we have taken. He goes everywhere, and he enjoyed riding in the jeep. He actually really liked my CJ-7 because he can see out better than my wife's jeep Grand Cherokee.

Also, how many times have you gone down and done rattle snake trail? If you have not done it it is REALLY close to your home, just go down redwood road to Lehi, and take a right. (look on rockymountainextreme.com for dirrections)

Also American Fork Canyon is really close as well, and a good trip.

My wife and I stay at the LAZY LIZZARD when in Moab, it is a hostle, and only going to cost you about 30 bucks a night for your entire family. (just know that a hostle is not a hilton, but it is better, and warmer, than a tent.)

I can also tell you that my son has driven to Idaho countless times, as well as Colorado, Arizona, Las Vegas, and Wyoming, including yellow stone (LOTS of driving) for a week, and Grand Canyon (fair bit of driving too) for a week.

Good luck, and mostly HAVE FUN! If it is something you have to force then take it a bit easier next trip.

Brian (down in Provo)

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Women and gentlemen, I cannot put a value on the information posted. I have a 7.5 mo and am excited to get her out. While I realize she will not appreciate the things I show her right now it's seasoning for longer trips and treks. I truly feel excited about being a parent and look forward to the adventures ahead. My little one had a passport at 5wks of age and has already been to Canada (land of mommy).

A

Old#7

Observer
Guys, Thanks for all the great info. I have been sharing it with my wife in bits and pieces. I agree that a few local trips might be in order. I can't get ahead of myself and need to start off slowly. Please keep the ideas coming, This is great info and I am sure I am not the only one who will benefit from what is shared here.

Thanks.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just stumbled on this last night. Haven't read through much of it yet.

http://www.overlandwithkids.com/

I should say, that I haven't and am hesitant to take a child less than 12mo on any kind of real off-road. Their neck just isn't strong enough, and they're in a rear-facing seat so you can't see what's going on. We have a 4mo right now, so this summer will be a bit iffy. We'll likely leave Mommy and baby at camp while Phil and I go off on the trails.

Also important, the kids can learn valuable lessons early on:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rlefebvre42#p/a/u/1/4d7wTgtz2p0

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles