Edgestar Fridge Owners

Navman

Adventurer
I just received my 43 qt bought from Compact Appliance. When I close the latch on the lid there is zero clamping force on the lid. If fact, with the latch closed I can lift up the lid a couple of millimeters. I can almost slide the latch over the hook without even opening it.

Is this normal? The lid does seem to close nicely on its own but I'm worried about the lid bouncing up and down over rough roads and losing efficiency. Edgestar CS wasn't very helpful so I thought I'd ask this group. Thanks

jrose609

Explorer
I got one, and there is great clamping force. Their customer service was awesome. I bought a fridge when not on sale. It went on sale three weeks later. I called them, and they refunded the difference.

I'd tell them you want to return for another

Ditto. Mine clamps very tightly.

Sounds like the QAQC guy from EdgeStar was on break when that one came off the line. However, based on my own remarkable experience, I'd be willing to betcha that their customer service dept will make it right in no time.

Sorry you got the short end. Good luck.

oz97tj

Observer
I just recieved mine and it doesn't really have any clamping force either. Although, unlike yours, it doesn't really allow the lid to lift either.

kai38

Explorer
I just recieved mine and it doesn't really have any clamping force either. Although, unlike yours, it doesn't really allow the lid to lift either.

Same here Ive had mine since last summer, works great but the latch doesn't really clamp down just holds the lid shut. I think I'll call them too.

Navman

Adventurer
By the way, this is the response I got from EdgeStar:

"Sorry to hear that the latch does not seem to be providing enough clamping force. Other than re drilling the mounting holes (which we do not recommend, due to the possibility of drilling into the evaporator coils), there is no fix. Most of these units have some slack in the latch, as to exactly how much, I do not know. I suspect the latch is that way due to the coil position in the wall of the unit."

kai38, let me know if you get a different response. I haven't contacted Compact Appliance yet. I'm wondering if I can just bend the latch at all and be done with it. I'll have to look at it again tonight.

I did run it over the weekend in my kitchen and it cooled down pretty quickly and I kept a six pack in it just to make sure it was working good. It was - beer was nice and cold.

Just so everyone knows, I am not disappointed in this unit and I really don't think the latch issue is a big deal. Like I said the lid closes nice and tight on it's own even without the latch.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
... Other than re drilling the mounting holes (which we do not recommend, due to the possibility of drilling into the evaporator coils) ...

The latch on mine seems a little loose, too, but it doesn't seem to affect the lid at all. I was actually thinking about swapping the hinges and latch so it hinges from the other side but now I think I'll put my drill away and just bend the latch a little to tighten it up.

Cheers,
Graham

Mine's the same way, but it stays cold and latched, so I'm not worried about it. I just chocked it up to buying a "cheaper" fridge. I'm still pretty happy with it.

Silver dude

Xplorer
For what it's worth I vaguely remember reading in the other thread that some one had a loose latch which they fixed with a tiny self adhesive felt pad from a hardware store.

Navman

Adventurer
Okay, I feel better that it just wasn't me. Again, no real concerns and after looking at it again last night I am confident it will be fine. I may bend it a little so that there is at least contact, or may try the felt trick.

ldivinag

Adventurer
on a side note, as a fridge, i cant seem to lock down a temp to keep the drinks cold without freezing it.

what did you set yours at?

on a side note, as a fridge, i cant seem to lock down a temp to keep the drinks cold without freezing it.

what did you set yours at?

I had this prob early on, too. Mine seems to stay at about 4-5 degrees colder than what the gauge says. I confirmed this with my Engel wireless.

I keep it set at "38" now and haven't had any probs.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I keep mine set at 36 and have never had drinks freeze. Sometimes the indicator shows 34 and then an hour later it will say 38...I think it's trial and error to figure the right setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior