5" Foglight Suggestions/Reviews Needed

Goin

Observer
When I fabricated the light insets for my bumper I used 5" pipe since that was the largest I could fit on the flat front of the bumper. Unfortunately, I did not really research 5" light options and if I had it to do again I would have found a way to fit 6" insets since there are so many options for that size. I threw the hella lights in (on their side - not how they were designed to throw light) since I had them on hand, but the light output is not really what I want. I need more spread and something that will function better as a foglight since these are my lowest light placement. I would rather have the driving lights on top of the bumper. Some options I am considering (any further info would be appreciated):

KC Highlights 50 Series - 4 3/4" outside diameter- These seem like they are going to fit the best, however I can not find any reviews on them.
http://www.kchilites.com/store/5-Black-Clear-Fog-Lightbr-1489-P75C59.aspx

PIAA 510 Fogs - 3 15/16" outside diameter - These seem cooler, but are they worth the extra money. Also, they are smaller and will not fit as well.
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/510.html

Hella Micro DE - 2 5/8" diameter - Way too small, but good reviews/price.
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...ing/DE_Line/Micro_DE_Xenon/Micro_DE_Xenon.jsp

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps the 4" version of the kragen HID lights. Anyone know what the true outside dimensions are of these? Can't find a diagram online.

The Bumper
Truck00133.jpg

Straight on you can see the 6" hellas are partially obstructed by the bumper.
DSC01659.jpg

The space I have to work with. Hella 500 in there on side. I would redo the mount based on what foglight I decide to put in.
DSC01658.jpg

Thank you.

PhulesAU

Explorer
the only PIAA thing I find worth the prices is the Ion Bulbs. I've always had good luck with KC's just not in that size.

Goin

Observer
Thanks for all the info so far. I am looking at the daniel stern web page now.

Still looking for more info, particularly on the KC 50 series, 4" kragen hid, and any other 5" light options.

Goin

Observer
Man those visionX are perfect and also perfectly out of my price range. At 350+ each, I can't do it.

I am really digging the night shots in the link that hilldweller included about yellowing his HID lights. I am starting to trend towards this option. Do you think that the light spread is sufficient for these to be used as fog lights?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Man those visionX are perfect and also perfectly out of my price range. At 350+ each, I can't do it.

I am really digging the night shots in the link that hilldweller included about yellowing his HID lights. I am starting to trend towards this option. Do you think that the light spread is sufficient for these to be used as fog lights?

That's how I'm using mine. The yellow tint took about 15% of the total light away. But at 3000+ lumen to begin with, there's no lack. And the temperature is great now; no unwanted pupil responses, no glare, etc.
The fouler the weather, the better I like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne