Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Also curious on the requirements/advice on the diff drop as well. Kurt did you drop yours? thanks, a

I looked at Kurt's when I picked up my stuff and I'm pretty sure it's the same one I ordered from Cornfed Suspensions, ~$15 + shipping. It's basically a small DOM spacer and longer bolts. From what Kurt told me you pull the two bolts and it drops open and then put the new spacers and longer bolts in. Supposed to take longer to pull the stock skidplate, that it does to put the diff drop in.

I'll let you know when I do mine.

RusM

Adventurer
I looked at Kurt's when I picked up my stuff and I'm pretty sure it's the same one I ordered from Cornfed Suspensions, ~$15 + shipping. It's basically a small DOM spacer and longer bolts. From what Kurt told me you pull the two bolts and it drops open and then put the new spacers and longer bolts in. Supposed to take longer to pull the stock skidplate, that it does to put the diff drop in.

I'll let you know when I do mine.

I really wish I would have known about this before I got turked by toytec on shipping.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Adam, I am running a longer brakeline (the old Ihumud part NAPA part number would do) or EVCO can make one while you wait. However I'm sitting a bit taller in the rear with the AAL. Prior to the AAL as well as in my older Tacoma, the stock line was fine.

Andre, I am running the diff drop kit. Long story short I never had a single CV issue with my setup until I had some warranty work done by the dealer, after that I had leaking axle seals. Its been back a handful of times since and we now just got it all cleared up. I am running a pretty tweaked OME front suspension that has more down-travel then the average install. Knock on wood my seal issues are over. I ran Cliffhanger this last weekend with the Rising Sun crew and I was moving the suspension around pretty good, if it was going to leak I think it would have done it by now.

Box Rocket

Next mod will be getting the wheels painted black. Here's my photoshopped version of what I'm after. Just need the weather to warm up just a bit more and then I can get them painted.

The PO said that a car wash attendant sprayed them with wheel cleaner at some point and it took the finish off of them. So as they sit, they look pretty rough. I plan a thorough cleaning, 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of high glass black and 3 coats of clear. Should get them looking much better.

Newwheeltest.jpg

I'm also starting on a bed rack right away so that will be ready to go soon too. I'll post updates of that as it progresses.

Box Rocket

Got the alignment done this morning. Now just waiting for the diff-drop to show up and suspension is done.

Box Rocket

Cornfed Suspensions Diff Drop showed up today. Totally simple installation and nice peice of mind with improved CV angles. 30 min later, it was done and the skidplate finally back on the truck. Suspension is now complete. Next up is bed rack and then a rear bumper.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Cornfed Suspensions Diff Drop showed up today. Totally simple installation and nice peice of mind with improved CV angles. 30 min later, it was done and the skidplate finally back on the truck. Suspension is now complete. Next up is bed rack and then a rear bumper.

What style bed rack you going for? I am trying to come up with something for an RTT to mount to that will keep it under the roof line or a bit over to be level with a Bajarack on the top.

Box Rocket

What style bed rack you going for? I am trying to come up with something for an RTT to mount to that will keep it under the roof line or a bit over to be level with a Bajarack on the top.

I don't own a RTT so a rack to accomodate mounting one isn't a priority. The design I have in mind should be strong enough for that if I wanted to but it's not a priority. I have a pair of Thule bars that mount to the bed rails already that will work perfectly for a RTT if I need it.

The rack I'm working on is just to give me a couple levels of storage and also give me a place to carry stuff like my hilift, shovel, and other things I don't want taking up bed space. It will be slightly elevated above the bed rails but still fairly low. Probably end up with the base of the rack just below the height of the rear window.

cruiseroutfit

Glad to hear the spacers went on nice and easy :cool:

Not to hijack Adam but here is the rack we discussed:
Front_Runner_Rack 007 (Medium).jpg

The mounting is 100% complete now, stainless steel brackets, powder-coated and then rubberized where it contacts the body. So far so good... working on adapting my awning to fit it without having to drill (easy take on & off).

digitalferg

Adventurer

View attachment 39491

The mounting is 100% complete now, stainless steel brackets, powder-coated and then rubberized where it contacts the body. So far so good... working on adapting my awning to fit it without having to drill (easy take on & off).

Speaking of this roof rack... I wonder how similar the Taco roof lines might be compared to a 3rd Gen 4Runner...?--maybe the same mounts could work for both the Taco and the 3rd Gen...or even tweaked to use on the 3rd Gen... I'm thinking about adding something to go over the cab area in front of my tent. I really liked this setup when I saw it on your truck. Might have to run up and do a test fit on my 4Runner.

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Speaking of this roof rack... I wonder how similar the Taco roof lines might be compared to a 3rd Gen 4Runner...?--maybe the same mounts could work for both the Taco and the 3rd Gen...or even tweaked to use on the 3rd Gen... I'm thinking about adding something to go over the cab area in front of my tent. I really liked this setup when I saw it on your truck. Might have to run up and do a test fit on my 4Runner.

-Ferg-

Works for me Ferg. We had to modify this one a fair amount to fit the DC Tacoma but we can see how close the contour matches yours. Thing there is enough room forward of your tent? Rack is 49" wide (side profile).

Box Rocket

View attachment 39491

That looks great Kurt! I need to come check it out in person. I love the low profile design of the FrontRunner racks and your mounting design looks like it works perfectly with it. Nice one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior