Toyota now

Applejack

Explorer
I still love Toyota and support them!

I'm just going to put it out there that I do Not believe this is a floor mat problem, or a gas pedal size problem. I never did.

Vehicles have become way too complex with Electronics.

I say it's an Electronic problem. And whoever is making that part is being protected by the no speak.

I hope they get it right soon.

X's 2. My personal theory is that it has to do with the "drive by wire" system. I have a close friend who flies Embraer Phenom's and Cessna Mustang light business jets. Some of the technology used in their "fly by wire" controls are similar, and while it is not common or even probable, interference can happen and cause erratic behavior. This is why cell phones are a no no on planes. I think the FCC needs to look into this as well. My bluetooth headset does some funky things to my stereo at work. It's X-files man!!
This is just my theory though.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have a close friend who flies Embraer Phenom's and Cessna Mustang light business jets.
Lucky guy! Very unusual to find someone rated for both those jets since they're so new and so few are flying.

Some of the technology used in their "fly by wire" controls are similar, and while it is not common or even probable, interference can happen and cause erratic behavior. This is why cell phones are a no no on planes.
Not true. Other than occasional static in the comm radios, cell phones cause zero interference with aircraft systems.

uzj100

Adventurer
No way! They will be even better when this is over.

It is funny how people are now picking on me and my Toyota's. They never said a word before. They are also drinking all the media kool aid.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I'm afraid the US government scrutiny and criticism of Toyota will not end until GM has surpassed Toyota in total sales and market share. Unfortuantely for GM I see that as extremely unlikely to EVER happen, and before it does, it will become grotesquely obvious that it's been a witchhunt from the beginning in an effort to save the government controlled GM, and any further criticism of Toyota will lose credibility.

Not to say the any issues with Toyota are 100% false. Every manufacturer has issues in quality now and then, including Toyota and given Toyota's track record of quality and reliability, this is an unfortunate setback and one they should address, but it has been so overblown by the media that it's commical. At least Toyota is making efforts to make it right.

I heard recently from what I would consider an extremely reliable source, that the organization responsible for investigating these types of safety issues was investigating over 80 unique issues. Only 4 of which were on Toyotas. So who's responsible for the other 76?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Consumers are so reactionary. Japan's culture puts "face", honour, dignity above all else. In fact, it is still common to hear about harikari (suicide) to save face.

This round of quality control issues is not new news, all manufacturers have suffered this, Ford has the record at some 14 MILLION recalls due to cruise control issues. Also, recently GM, Honda, Ford and others have recalls due to some life threatening malfunction.

Toyota's founder's grandson and Japan's largest and most respected company will come out of this mishap even better than before. This disgrace in the eyes of his and their customers is loosing face for Mr.Toyoda and he will make major changes with regards to quality control like never before. They will come out of this on top and to the chagrin of all other competitors. They will have wished they never made it so public and embarrassing.

You think now that Toyota's flagship, Lexus is always at or near the top (JD Powers), in the not so distant future, Toyota (IMHO) will be number one in numerous if not all categories. It is a solid company, making solid products.

Recently, I have seen Toyota's Kanukistani sales figures and some of these are the best (records) they have ever had! The customers are speaking out, that they believe in the company and its products.

As some of you have mentioned, this could be a witch hunt by the domestic 3, the media, the government all in concert to aid their failing past tense BIG domestic 3! Perhaps it is the owners, that are not familiar with their vehicles and hence the problem is exacerbated. Granted there are flaws, no doubt, when humans are concerned, always!

Remember, >80% of all Toyotas sold in the last 20 years are still on the road! Who else can say that?

Joe's Toy

Observer
It is about our goverment trying to make toyota look bad to help the UAW

I've kind of been thinking this also. I don't feel like Toyota has received any "Here's the problem now lets fix it" type of engagement from the government only "You should be shut down for murdering all the inosent people".

No one purposly built the vehicles to kill people. Mistakes were made now move along media..

All that said, I will continue to look at Toyota for my future vehicles as well.

uzj100

Adventurer
And if Toyota (and Lexus) gets really upset, they could actually lower their prices. I know this would never happen however if it did other automakers would be hating it even more.

87FoRunner

Adventurer
I just hope the 08+ Tundras get cheaper because of this.

One would look pretty sweet towing my 4runner around :bike_rider:

Box Rocket

Saw a new Toyota ad tonight for 5 years/0% interest on new cars. Wish I was in the market for a brand new Toyota. I'd be all over it. Maybe I need to look at the new 4Runner again.:ylsmoke:

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Just leased a new Matrix last night for the wife.. Will probably be purchasing a Tacoma here soon, as well.. Will drive toyotas forever.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
We currently have 7 Toyota's in our families fleet. No plans to change anything anytime soon.

2010 Tundra CrewMax (0% was being offered as far back as December 2009 locally)
2009 Camry
2009 4Runner
2008 FJ Cruiser
2005 Tundra
2004 Sequoia
2000 Land Cruiser

I'll add that the 2000 Cruiser feels just as tight and solid as the newer models.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Toyota has my full support as well. Im not in the market for a new vehicle right now, but if I were it sure wouldnt be anything else.

Ive had 2 Dodges, 3 Fords, a Chevy and a Nissan....my Tacoma blows them ALL out of the water!!!!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I love Toyota but my opinion is starting to change a hair. Over 50 reported deaths from the stuck accelerators. They clearly knew it was a problem.. When it hits 50 deaths I think that is reasonably noticeable besides all of the crashes. Has anyone noticed all of the recalls that have been posted lately? I think Toyota was made "the example" but there were a lot of lingering problems from all sorts of manufacturers..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne