Any poor man's vans out there??

CJT

My question is this, why are there so few older 4x4 vans on this site, lets say mid 70's to early 80's models. I have searched on the web and found a few conversions that seem very capable (not rock crawler material but...) I have found a few platfoms for araound 1,000$ to 3000$ that appear to be a good start. I know there were several 4x4 conversions back in the day that are crap but if the price is right, a little elbow grease and ingenuity could make a cost effective 4x4 camper van...any thoughts??

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
vans have always had a fringe quality to them...
I know before I got behind the wheel of a Sportsmobile vans just weren't part of my mental "expo" world.

I am all for seeing a growth as they are a great platform for the disabled with plenty of room, ease of movement from the drivers area to the living space and cost effective.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
If you haven't already, expand your search to include 4x4 mini school buses and ambulances.

There was a van-body school bus on the Austin, TX craigslist a while back for ~$1500. However, it had come down from MI, so probably had rust issues.

Other members have posted up info regarding 4x4 buses for sale in CO, where there are few rust issues.

Most of the mini school buses and ambulances I've seen advertised had Quigley conversions, whose strengths and weaknesses are known, with info available.

getout

Adventurer
We paid $2100 for our '92 4x4 E350 but I think we got a steal. The body's in pretty poor shape and it was filthy but we figure we'll keep it as is for a few years, buy a nice 2wd, and throw the 4x4 on it.

Cheap vans are out there if you look (religiously) for them but you've got to be ready the throw down the money when you find it.

I think you're right about spending a little money and then doing what you want. My father-in-law keeps telling me there's a ton I can do with the $10,000 I saved over the older sportsmobile I was looking at.

To answer your question, I really don't know why they're aren't more of them. I'm a big fan of the late '80s body and tried to buy one a while ago but couldn't get a hold of the owner. If I could have found something for cheaper than what I got in the same condition, I would have bought it and built it in a heartbeat.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Poor man's van, eh? Here's what I have for you. Start with an AWD Astro/Safari, as they are pretty easy to find for cheap. Next add a lift kit and tires, the 4" Overland Vans kit with 31" tires seems to be the most popular combo. Wheel it for a while to determine if the AWD transfer case is enough for your needs. If not, two speed cases are almost straight bolt ins.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Poor man's van, eh? Here's what I have for you. Start with an AWD Astro/Safari, as they are pretty easy to find for cheap. Next add a lift kit and tires, the 4" Overland Vans kit with 31" tires seems to be the most popular combo. Wheel it for a while to determine if the AWD transfer case is enough for your needs. If not, two speed cases are almost straight bolt ins.

This is pretty much exactly the way I'm going. I opted for a new-ish van to get the rear discs and 6-lug setup, but otherwise there's little difference going back a Loooong way.

Finalizing my decision regarding how much lift in the next few weeks, and I'm saving up for the pop-top sleeper.

arz

Adventurer
and dont forget the www.jagsthatrun.com has a small block chevy conversion kit available too.

Zaskoda

Observer
My question is this, why are there so few older 4x4 vans on this site, lets say mid 70's to early 80's models.

According to what I've read, it wasn't until 76 that Ford van bodies were really designed so that they could be effectively modified as 4x4s. Mine is an 87. Anyway, I suspect this may be true for other fullsized American vans as well.

Start with an AWD Astro/Safari, as they are pretty easy to find for cheap. Next add a lift kit and tires, the 4" Overland Vans kit with 31" tires seems to be the most popular combo.

I learned about this *after* I made my purchase and believe it would have been a much better option. A small lift, some useful tires, and a pop top:
http://northwestoverlandsociety.org...rumid/31/postid/26911/view/topic/Default.aspx

listed here in Denver

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1621657397.html

its been listed for quite a while and seems complete but probably needs a bit of work and some updating.

I was ready to buy this van for parts, as he's selling it for parts. I wanted his xmission and xfer case since I have issues with mine.

The guy doesn't have the title because there's a loan against the van. He filed for bankruptcy but the van really belongs to the lender. Knowing this, I would be breaking the law buying the van. Furthermore, most salvage yards I've spoken with want a title with the vehicle so once I gut the van, I can't legally dispose of the shell. Bad news all around. That's probably why this things been for sale forever.

edit:
and this one runs and is under $1000
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1607610380.html

I also looked at the "ugly" van. I wanted it for the same reasons as above plus the 460 that's in it. I really like this guy, but his van needs a whole helluva lot of work. There's major rust damage to the body, the rear diff is completely apart, and the van is just in really rough shape. The engine fired right up and ran really nice. For someone who doesn't mind sourcing the parts and putting this van back together, it could be nice. It's fast...

I decided against it because it's 11 years older than my van. Trying to move the 460 over would kill me on CO emissions testing and the 460 is carb'd so the fuel economy would be terrible. If I pay the megabucks to install a 460, I need to go EFI.

Here's my van:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaskoda/4301557237/in/set-72157622595417905/

I've tried a few times to sell it... never got any serious interest... and now I've dumped so much cash into it I'd have to take a huge loss on it. I'm at about $11k now (including the cost of the van itself) and I haven't even started on the interior conversion. Some fixes to the steering and a rebuild of the xfer case and it'll be straight. I also wanna replace the xmission as someone put a shift kit in it - and shift kits don't go well with snow and ice.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Like the Vancouver crew; Sanj, Rocky and Kevin have swapped in V8's so many times it only takes them a quick afternoon.

I have a GMC AWD Safari Van. I have BFG AT k/o on it and it is unstoppable in the snow. The only drawback is the lack of ground clearance, but mine is stock height. With a small lift it could do some trails. You can even swap in a 2 speed transfer case.

As far as repairs, its only needed a thermostat, 3 sets of front brakes, 2 sets of tires, 2 transfer case flushes and a few misc small stuff in 109K. The Chevy/GMC AWD Astro/Safari really are a little bit of an unknown as far as how great they are.

Louie

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
my van is an 85...and to make it 4x4 wouldnt be to bad (but I know how to do it and have the tools)...

I just like the ride for a 2wd..

so I decided to leave it 2wd...makes it able to be in the garage...and fit into any parking garage/drive thru...

and 10yrs of hardcore 4x4 experiance gave me the confidence to leave it 2wd..but I knew it would need some special equipment added to it so Im not stranded with the family...

tires...good tires make all the diffrence..

the ability to reinflate tires for the road part of driving...even a little compressor will get it done...never underestimate the power of flotation!

highlift Jack (to change tires...lift vehicle up to stack rocks/logs and can be used as a winch (4ft at a time))

and a winch..cus I know the value a winch and a good anchor can make when your stuck without a backup truck...(or sometimes the fact the helper truck cant get around you to help)

Im not afraid to take my van on alot of the trails Ive been on...HOWEVER..I would do the easier parts...drive some of the tricky parts diffrent..and would avoid the major stuff by walking the trails to scout them...

but mines setup more to go camping a little further in..to hike the rest of the way...not drive all of it like in our 4x4...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne