Tent trailer on 35 inch tires

Toolman

Explorer
It's a Mombasa... or Car Top Tent. It works just fine however it's not an extreme weather tent. It did just fine in the storms I've been in but I can assure you it's better in the spring,fall, and summer. The price is right and it has it's good points. For starters, I'm off the ground. Sets up in about 3 minutes, breaks down in about 7 minutes. My goal is to be able to break down camp and be on the road within 15-20 minutes.. It used to take me that long to break down my ground tent. Set up time for sleeping is perfect, just enough time to set up tent roll out a sleeping bag, stretch my legs have a beer and get some rest. I do like it and I don't really know if another company makes a foul weather tent , if they did I'm sure it would be very heavy...

next question I will answer... "Would I recommend one to you? " Yes I would.. for $900 including shipping you can't beat it. Queen bed of the ground.. oh also I added a 2" memory foam mattress to it which makes it very nice to sleep on in the summer. If I were to do it again I would look into a Magiliona.. faster setup and break down.. also no flapps to be blowin around in the wind.. you can also leave you're bedding inside set up ready to go.. you can do this with the RTT as well but it folds in half and makes for a slower pack up.

If you have the bread .. Eezi Awn is a much better RTT if you want that style.. but now you're getting close to the Maggiliona price tag. Either way you flip it

IT'S WAY BETTER THAN A GROUND TENT.

zjrog

Observer
Hoping to get started on my own tent trailer project based off that Coleman trailer build... Using a 1972 Starcraft Starlite trailer, adding frame reinforcement, a 3500# axle with brakes and new springs, and 31" tires and wheels to match my Jeep...

Hoping to get to it this spring finally.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I did a spring over to my Coleman TT, but no way to get 35's under there. I think you were going for more or an AT style tire setup with the tires outside? A flat deck over 35's would put the trailer super high.

Digger Dave

Here are some pictures of my Starcraft TT. It's 1987 that was donated by some very generous friends.

The first set of pictures is phase one. I put some 2x5 rectangle tube between the torsion axle and the frame. Obviously that lifted the trailer 5 inches. Because the axle was set up for a 4 bolt wheel, that was the next phase. The only 4 lug rims that would fit 265/75-R16's are bling-bling rims from a mini cooper.

http://www.kreationkrawlers.com/Web/Albums/2008-October-4_Daves-trailer-lift/album.html

I finally found a guy here in Phoenix that could custom make a spring axle set up with 6x5.5 hubs so my Toyota rims would fit. Phase two removed the torsion axle and installed the springs and solid axle.

http://www.kreationkrawlers.com/Web/Albums/2009-June-6_Daves-Trailer/album.html

Here are some more recent photo's . . .

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Hope there's enough information there to get your creative juices going.

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the links didn't work for me either, but if you go back to the root dir and follow it out it works ok.

The shots are great, the trailer looks really good. The trailer frame looks pretty solid, is that how it came?

Ray

Toolman

Explorer
I bought it that way and I continue to add the things I feel necessary. www.offroadtrailerz.com I went out to look at his trailers and I came up with a design that worked for me. I just recently added two tongue boxes, propane, rear swing away tire carrier that also can carry a lumber basket... most of all I just finished a lid. I plan on posting pictures of the entire build in progress when I find the time to upload. He has an 09' Demo trailer he's selling for a major discount. His name is Rick Soto and he can help you get started.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Nice trailer in AZ. I also see you are with Kreation Krawlers, say hi to Bill, I don't see im much any more. How does the inside of the trailer work with those huge tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles