Tent trailer on 35 inch tires

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi Folks,

I am looking to build up a simple tent trailer for offroading trips. We have 3 kids so the little Adventure-trailer types are not so good, as we need a really big tent. We do have a big tent (Springbar) which we like, but for setting up and down every day it is a pain. So a basic tent trailer would be great. I have seen basic coleman etc tent trailers on CL for 350-500 bucks. At that price I am not worried about it falling apart over a couple of summers. What I want to do is put one of those on 35 inch tires so it matches the spare on our Defender 110, put a pintle hitch ring on it, and off we go.

I have seen a few threads here with tent trailers put on bigger tires, but nothing in the sizes I am looking at.

Also I am interested in a way of mounting the tires without a solid axle, so I don't need to worry about getting that axle hung up when we do trails like the whipsaw, etc.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Ray

www.hylandadventures.com

nobodyspecial

Observer
I was just thinking that a solid axle on the trailer will have the same or more clearance than the rear axle of your truck, so it should work out. Its also hard to beat the simplicity and strength of a solid axle, too.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
yep, that's true, but with the truck I have a bit more control over where I position the wheels I think. I don't think I would be good enough with the trailer to position the wheels precisely, especially when I need to back up in tight areas, or on technical terrain. So I will probably end up shoving/dragging the trailer axle over various obstacles...

If I need to go with the solid axle it is not a show-stopper. I was just curious what the other options are.

Ray

java

Expedition Leader
not sure quite what the frames are like but you can build your own trailing arms

XJBANKER

Explorer
Why would an adventure trailer not work? Just put a large tent like Camping Labs large tent with the added room and then if you need more space get an oz tent to add to the sides of the room for extra interior space.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
The kids are still really small and want to be in the same "room" as us. Also by the time I mess around with all that stuff at the campsite, it would be faster and easier to just set up my big springbar ground tent.

I like the simplicity of a traditional tent trailer, the fact that they are dirt cheap, and the fact that all the bedding can remain in place.

Actually I find that the time to pack/unpack thermarests, sleeping bags, pillows, clothes bags, etc for all 5 of us takes a lot longer than the time to set up the tent.

Toolman

Explorer
Look into Dexter Axles. Torsion bar with electric brakes, any bolt pattern and 3500lb load capacity should handle your 35's no prob. I have 37's on my trailer that exact same set up. 22" of clearance.

Usually when in rough terrain the trailer will slide around obstacles rather that go over them, there is no drive to get them up so they just kinda wiggle around back there.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I went out of my way to do independent arms last time and wouldn't again because of the axles on the tow vehicle concept, way too much time with limited benefit. I would do airbags on a solid axle with a 3 link or radius arms or something like this next time I figured...

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Thanks Guys, I like the torsion bar option. I will probably do that on top of a strengthened frame.

Has anyone got any pics of versions they have done themselves? I am wondering how others have addressed track-width, and the option of putting the wheels under or outside of the trailer. With the trailer sitting OVER 35's I am thinking a step ladder may be needed to enter...

:Wow1:

Toolman

Explorer
with 35's you'll have plenty of ground clearance without having the trailer above the tires. sitting on top of the axle should put your axle somewhere around 20" . plus you can use the tail gate as a kitchen or workbench. a wider stance gives the trailer more stability.

If you follow the link you can see under the trailer how I mounted the tow bar for my Jeep behind the axle. So I'll always have it with me.

IMG_0077.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MrlAwh884d0/S0dUVUUPjbI/AAAAAAAAAd4/7Rpw5K9-6Wk/s128/IMG_0035.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/snapontoolman/AdventuresWithMyJeep#5424398968157153570

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
that is a nice setup.

But nobody has a pic of a tent trailer on big tires? Wow, I thought there would be lots of them.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
with 35's you'll have plenty of ground clearance without having the trailer above the tires. sitting on top of the axle should put your axle somewhere around 20" . plus you can use the tail gate as a kitchen or workbench. a wider stance gives the trailer more stability.

If you follow the link you can see under the trailer how I mounted the tow bar for my Jeep behind the axle. So I'll always have it with me.

IMG_0077.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MrlAwh884d0/S0dUVUUPjbI/AAAAAAAAAd4/7Rpw5K9-6Wk/s128/IMG_0035.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/snapontoolman/AdventuresWithMyJeep#5424398968157153570

Not to thread steal, but what brand of tent is that you are using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles