Ideas to Upgrade the OverZone Mattress?

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

We got an AutoHome OverZone tent for our trailer last summer, and although we enjoyed it a lot, the mattress was a bit of a disappointment. The foam used in the mattress is too soft and compresses too easily.

Has anyone else had this problem with their RTT, and if so, what did you do?

I've been considering adding two 1/2" foam sleeping pads under the existing mattress, or swapping out the mattress with another. Are there any mattresses sold separately that people recommend?

Thanks,
js.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm curious as well. I have the same issue with my Overland. Love the tent; just don't like the mattress.

I use a 1" thermarest on top of the mattress and that has worked well for me. I can still leave it in the tent when I close it up.

jsmoriss

Explorer
I'm curious as well. I have the same issue with my Overland. Love the tent; just don't like the mattress.

I use a 1" thermarest on top of the mattress and that has worked well for me. I can still leave it in the tent when I close it up.

Here's what I've been considering...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...indexId=cat601642&hasJS=true&_requestid=39442
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Both are available in 25x77". I can't deploy the tent or remove the mattress at the moment, so I estimate the actual mattress size at about 50x78-82" thereabouts. I'd use them UNDER the existing mattress. The Therm-a-Rest might be more suitable since it looks to roll up better/easier.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Or another type of firmer mattress of the same size...

js.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have the opposite problem. The mattress in my Maggiolina is a little too firm. I put a cheap mattress topper from Walmart and it's perfect... pretty much as comfortable as any real bed.

In the kids area of my trailer, I made mattresses using cheap foam camping mattress rolls from Canadian Tire. Basically just a white low-medium density foam. I think they're actually a little too soft, but little kids probably won't mind. I think I'll put a firm closed cell foam pad underneath them and it'll be perfect.

In your case, it's a shame to do something that would take away from the function of the tent. Having to roll up a mattress before you can close the tent would suck. I would suggest you go to a furniture or upholstery store and try to buy some new foam for your tent to make a new mattress altogether. Foams are available which would be firm enough.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Been there done that with two RTT's and now my KK. Find your local mattress maker and have him/her make one to fit for your needs. Foam is available in different firmness and thickness; they can even laminate different firmness too.

I've have one made for each of my camping bed TT/KK and never a regret. Mike at Reno Mattress makes them and then wraps them in a nice Damask cover just like home. Uber comfie and not that much more than a good air mattress...without the downsides of an air mattress.

I got a little crazy with the one he made for my Maggiolina. We used drilled/perffed latex foam. Talk about comfie! But spendy and heavier.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
The mattress on the Columbus is a little thicker than the ones on the OverGroup by about a half inch. In cold weather, you really want another inch of foam. We tried a couple solutions with mixed results. My wife brought home this fluffy mattress cover from Ralph Lauren, worked OK. I got a waffle foam topper, that also was OK. The solution was the "Anti-Condensation Mat", acts like a box spring.

The mat is really quite thin, about 1/2 inch, and is really light and flexible. It is surprisingly comfortable just by itself. The original concept was I guess to give you air circulation under the mattress to keep condensation down but I think the other benefits almost outweigh this. Even though the tent's base acts as an insulator, it is still cold. The mat raises the mattress off this so your mattress doesn't have to insulate and stays warmer. You also get a nice degree of cushion that works well with the soft foam so you don't bottom out. I was impressed, and so was my wife. She is a girlie girl and still want her fluffy Ralph Lauren cover though.

I highly recommend it for the Columbus but may have a drawback for the OverTents because they fold. The mat is pretty slick so it will slide really easily, may be a good thing though. Maybe Mike can send one out to you so you can try it out and see how well it works for you?

jsmoriss

Explorer
I highly recommend it for the Columbus but may have a drawback for the OverTents because they fold. The mat is pretty slick so it will slide really easily, may be a good thing though. Maybe Mike can send one out to you so you can try it out and see how well it works for you?

I ordered the Anti-Condensation Mat along with my tent last summer (Campa trailer and OverZone combo), but I'm still waiting for it. I've sent Chris at Campa several e-mails, but he keeps saying that it's back-ordered... Maybe I should contact AutoHome USA directly and see what's going on. By your description, it sounds like it'll give me that extra layer of firmness I'm looking for...

Thanks,
js.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Doesn't surprise me. The supply chain is really difficult. These are made by a little German company, then shipped to Italy to wait for a container. If there is room, then these can come with the tents. It is like shipping air, well, it is shipping air. If Mike has the choice of shipping tents or shipping air, the tents win.

I liked the mat so much I talked to the guys in Germany and while they do have a sales guy here in the states, there isn't a stock of the product here. I have another idea though. All this stuff actually is used on boats mainly. There is a product that I saw in the Netherlands and you can get it here. I haven't used it but it is a pretty cool concept. Let me know what you think?

http://www.nickleatlantic.com/index.htm

r_w

Adventurer
1/2 inch blue foam camping mats are $6-10 at walmart or discount outdoor stores.

Memory foam mattress toppers are cheap when you can find a clearance. A king size can be cut into three 25x77 pads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94