Dell - new Ruggedized Laptop

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Nice to always have more options in the market:

19544.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/16/dells-ruggedized-latitude-atg-d620-launched-reviewed/

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3449&review=Rugged+Dell+Latitude+D620

Thanks,

Pete

preacherman

Explorer
yea but...

Maybe they can get better customer support with them as well. I have my dell in Africa right now and their customer support has been really hard to work with outside of the states. Starting with the fact that international cs is only open 9-5 CST!!!! They sent me a new battery before I left and it turns out they sent a bad one. So now I am stuck in Africa with a bad battery and no way to get a new one from them. If they start making "rugged" laptops they need to realize people might take them out of N. America.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
preacherman said:
Maybe they can get better customer support with them as well. I have my dell in Africa right now and their customer support has been really hard to work with outside of the states. Starting with the fact that international cs is only open 9-5 CST!!!! They sent me a new battery before I left and it turns out they sent a bad one. So now I am stuck in Africa with a bad battery and no way to get a new one from them. If they start making "rugged" laptops they need to realize people might take them out of N. America.

What model is it? Latitude laptops (commercial/corporate line) are covered worldwide and customer service is 24-hours. The Inspiron line (home use line) should also have 24-hour customer service, though I'm not sure if we offer international support for them yet.

I played with one of those ATGs on Friday during a launch activity, I thought it was pretty cool. It has a really bright screen and red LEDs that illuminate the keyboard for low-light conditions. Very heavy-duty hinges. There's a docking station available that was designed specifically to mount on cars that worth a look, it's all metal and looked bomb-proof. With the right Ram-mount, it could be an interesting option.

preacherman

Explorer
I have an Isprion. At least according to there wed site there is no 24 hour customer service line. I tried to call several times but got an after hours voice mail. Not a big deal but very frustrating.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Preacherman, I have a nearly new battery for a 600M sitting here. I used it for about a month before my laptop died. If it will help you out, you can have it for shipping costs + a bottle of decent rum.

I will never buy another Dull laptop. Mine was terrible. Flimsy, ran slow, crashed often...I was afraid to move it from the table in my office for fear of, quite literally, breaking it! If you picked it up with one hand, it would flex and creak, groan and pop...seriously! It was about as rigid as a wet noodle.

Once the warranty expired, things went down hill very fast. Within a month of the warranty expiration it was unusable and was going to cost almost as much as a new one to fix. So I sent it on its way....right through the closet door. I have not replaced it, and to be 100% honest, I am happier without the damn thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles