Tire preferences, Northeast?

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, I know... another Tire thread... if I read anymore on this, I am gonna go blind.

Plain and simple... its time for new rubber on the truck... FINALLY.

I am going 315-75/16 or LT equivalent.

Would REALLY like Load Range E....

Truck is NOT driven to work or anything, I have a company vehicle, and the wife's car will be here shortly.

It is street driven, but, not EVERY day.... mostly for camping, towing the boat, hauling etc.

Anyway, I am in the North East(New England), and I am looking to see what the prefered tire is for a heavier(3/4 ton Diesel) 4wd. I have been back here for a year, and have not had a chance to really get out and test anything, see what people are running, etc. I know what I prefered in the south... but.... different mud, and dirt....

I am Leaning towards the Cooper S/Ts or ST/C. Dont know how they would fare up here.

So, any input... lets hear it...

What is prefered?

Mud Tires?
ATs?
Hybrids?
How aggressive?

Cost is a factor as well....

I am just melted trying to research which tires, prices, loads, etc...So, I definitely would appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Chase

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Unless funds are very limited, I suggest not deciding primarily on price. Spend a little more (or less) and buy the tires you want & decide on. Over the miles even hundreds more per set is worth it in my opinion.

In reality if you shop carefully tire prices are pretty competitive and will likely be pretty close.

What is the number one thing we see when we hit the dirt here in New England? MUD! More often then not we are in the sloppy stuff. A more aggressive lug pattern is really beneficial around these parts. I am running Cooper Discoverer S/T and while they are not a mud tire they handle it pretty well. That said, on next vehicle I will be switching to a full on mud tire. The Coopers are expensive and they don't last terribly long, but that's the way it is with most of the tires we run.

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks Phil... Thats sort of where I was leaning.....

NO, I am NOT deciding on price alone. BUT, with some tires, it IS a dis-qualifier.......

I did have a set of STs... but, not for long up here, and they served me well, and wore well.

Last set of muds were a set of BFG M/Ts... and I wasnt very impressed with them... especially for the price....

Best M/T I ever had, were surprisingly a set of Swamper TSLs....but... they were also Swampers.....not my favorite all around tire....

Chase

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I would go with a solid M/T and have the center tread blocks siped. I have always had great luck going that route in all conditions, mud, rocks, snow, sand, heavy rain etc. Check out Toyo Open Country M/Ts, Cooper STTs and the new Goodyear MT/R.
The new MT/Rs tend to have higher weight ratings than a lot of other manufacturers in the same sizes.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I used to live in the NE and ran many trails in your area (back when they were open) as well as Paragon and Rausch Creek and had really good luck with my ProComp Xterrains. You're mostly going to run into rocky and muddy trails and these combined with front and rear lockers hooked up perfectly. They were also very civil on the street and did fine in the ice and snow.

xterrain-radial-trans.png

chasespeed

Explorer
Alright, thanks guys. Looks like M/Ts of some sort are on the list......

Now, if I just find a place to go with this behemoth...

Thanks.

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, shopped around locally today. Put my hands on some tires, and, got some numbers.

I THINK I might be going with a set of the Dunlop MT Maxx Traction... that, and I can get a good price on them.

The reviews seem pretty favorable, and it will still keep the truck road friendly.....

We'll see if I'm still on that path in a couple weeks when I decide. Still need to get some time to slap those springs in.....and a tall enough jack...

Chase

Check out the Interco (super swamper) Trxus MT. They are a radial mud terrain that is siped from the factory. Work great on the steet, mud and snow. The sets that I have had lasted between 70-80'000kms on a Jeep and 3/4t truck.

trxus-mt.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Already scoped Interco as an option.

Thanks.

Price isnt the main factor, though, it is a factor. The Intercos, and Duratracs etc are priced about 100 more a tire, than I can get the Dunlops INSTALLED for. And the Intercos are special order... so... freight charges apply.

I will be doing more digging for sure before I make a purchase in a couple weeks... but, so far, I am looking at the Maxx... If I find something different, and for a better price... I will look into it.....

Thanks,
Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94