Enclosed Cargo Trailer for Offroad Use

18seeds

Explorer
anybody done it? I am thinking of taking a 5x8 enclosed trailer and converting it into a camper/toy hauler. I've got some great ideas from thumpertalk and mikenchell but want to hear the EP POV.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I think is a great Idea, My uncle built one years ago and he had cabinets mounted on the outside. It worked out great.

wesel123

Explorer
I've done it. This is a 4x6x4 carson trailer did and SOA and added shocks. Took it thru Mangle pass with no problems. I had this one for sale but now its the emergancy preparedness trailer. To many crasy earthquakes lately......

Picture012.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Expedition Key

Adventurer
I think it a great way to go, I'm surprised more people don't do it. 5x8 is a great size, I had one and took it off road a bit. You want to get a good quality trailer like Wells Cargo, make sure the sidewall framing is fairly close together, 16"oc is great, and that it has 3/8" ply screwed well. The weakest point imo of using a cargo trailer ofroad is the rear door(s) usually takes up the whole rear of the trailer thereby removing the lateral structural element needed to keep the trailer from racking. If I were to modify a 5x8 for offroad use, I would weld 1' wide shear walls from floor to roof on either side.

Add some long soft springs, and shocks, amulti axis tongue/hitch and you're good to go.

My .02
Kye

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I almost went that way... Never thought about reinforcing the rear door area. I guess that would be a good idea. Maybe just some diagonals in the corners?

-

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I knew it was only a matter of time before I saw a thread about this pop up. We emailed back and forth a few time regarding your drawer setup on Denver CL.

Youve preobably seen this thread but if not ill link to it. This guy has a pretty detailed build up. You mentioned this to me in an email and the more I think about it, it might be a better way to go than trying to build an offroad teardrop style trailer on my own.

Here is the link: http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32431

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I think i am going to build one to sleep in, the family is getting bigger and we are starting to carry more items.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I'm building a 5x8 as well My side door just came in today so I will be moving forward with the build. The build is in here. (cowboy4x4 off road CT build)

bwaser

Great pics. Did you have the roof rack custom made? If not, where did you get it? Brand, site, etc? I have a Wells Cargo 5X8 I want to put a roof rack on and can only find ladder racks. Thanks.

kbahus

Adventurer
Resurrecting an old thread as found this searching for cheap trailer options to put a RTT on. I can find 4x6 enclosed trailers all day long for a grand, seems like the perfect match for a roof top tent and a secure way to haul gear. Has anyone else done something similar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles