Mtn. Bike Components Recommendations

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
For Expo Mountain Bike folks (I have this post on mtbr as well)

I need some recommendations from you all. I've had my current bike (Trek 4300, hardtail) since 06 and she's taken quite a beating during that time. I don't have the money right now to replace the bike but she has a few issues mostly when it comes to changine though the gears. Anytime I try to go past 12th (24 speed) it's a no for the most part, it won't shift properly or the chain slips.

So I'm assuming that the front and gears need to replaced, as well as the chain (I've broken the current one a few times and have master links in a few spots ). The front fork needs to be replaced maybe with an adjustable one.

What would you guys recemmend part wise and where to buy parts? I'll be doing some searching but any help getting pointed in the right direction would help. I have a limited budget for parts, I don't need anything fancy just better than what I have!!!

Front fork is a RST Gila
Gears and disc brakes are Shimano

1speed

Explorer
First take it to a reputable LBS and see if it can be fixed with some new cables and a tune up.

If not and you are going to keep running gears I'm a SRAM fan. If you have an 8speed cassette now you should be able to move up to a 9 speed as long as your brake levers and shifters are not integrated. If you have separate shifter pods you can keep your brakes and swap out everything else. I have a used SRAM XO rear derailleur, X9 thumb shifters, SRAM 9 speed cassette and used Shimano XTR front derailleur I can make you a deal on if you're interested. I'm going to keep the bike I was selling here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34714 and turn it into a single speed. PM me if you're interested and I'll work up a price for you. This is all top of the line stuff from a few years ago and is in good shape.

Personally, I would just turn it into a single speed, much more fun to ride!

I may have a good Manitou Minute 2 100mm fork too, have to dig through the garage.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
When I worked in a shop (seems like just yesterday) I sold tons of Trek 4300s. The bummer with those bikes, and any entry level bike, is the fork is seldom worth replacing with anything other than a similar fork. It's tempting to upgrade, but getting a mid-range fork is going to be a $300-400 proposition. Toss in some new parts to bring the old girl back up to par and you'll be pushing $450-550 pretty quickly when you add in labor.

Sounds like you could benefit from a good one-on-one with a solid bike mechanic at your favorite shop. If you've let your TLC of this bike slip over the years, the cost to get it running well may be a bit harsh, but it may be cheaper than a new rig. What parts you replace the old parts with will be a secondary issue to what level of repair you need to do and how much it will cost. Just keep in mind, even in the best of circumstances, a Trek 4300 was never built to handle frequent or even mildly aggressive offroad use, so you might have squeezed the best years out of this fine machine.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
* Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective (Salt Lake City)
* UoU Bicycle Collective (Salt Lake City)
* Aggie Blue Bikes (Logan)
* Ogden Bicycle Collective (Ogden)

Not sure where in Utah you are but these shops might be a good place to start, I volunteer at a bike co-op in Chicago and its a great place to start for information and parts.

nobodyspecial

Observer
If this is the bike you are talking about, I would just get it tuned up and go. I have put many miles on mine, and with proper care, it still runs like a champ. I love this bike.

TK_2009_4300db_black11.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
When I worked in a shop (seems like just yesterday) I sold tons of Trek 4300s. The bummer with those bikes, and any entry level bike, is the fork is seldom worth replacing with anything other than a similar fork. It's tempting to upgrade, but getting a mid-range fork is going to be a $300-400 proposition. Toss in some new parts to bring the old girl back up to par and you'll be pushing $450-550 pretty quickly when you add in labor.

Sounds like you could benefit from a good one-on-one with a solid bike mechanic at your favorite shop. If you've let your TLC of this bike slip over the years, the cost to get it running well may be a bit harsh, but it may be cheaper than a new rig. What parts you replace the old parts with will be a secondary issue to what level of repair you need to do and how much it will cost. Just keep in mind, even in the best of circumstances, a Trek 4300 was never built to handle frequent or even mildly aggressive offroad use, so you might have squeezed the best years out of this fine machine.

Ya, I probable have squeezed out it's best years and should've bought a new bike while I had the money but I didn't.

I can replace the parts myself, it's the all the little final adjustments that I have difficulties with. I've had the bike probable into 5 different bike shops working out little problems with it but after a few rides they are back again. The front fork I can live with for now, I just need to fiqure out some new gears that won't break the bank.

That's pretty close but mine is blue and silver

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If that's the case, it sounds just like you need to replace a few key bits. For starters, almost all bikes love new cables and housings. Just based on what you mentioned about your chain, it sounds like you need a new chain and with that, a new cassette. You'll know if your rear derailleur is cooked if the pivots are worn simply by grabbing it by the lower part of the cage and giving it a little side to side wiggle. If there's a lot of play, and there probably is, it's time to go. Shifter pods are pretty durable all things considered, but they'll respond well to a very good cleaning and I've found nothing works better than a quick bath in an ultra-sonic cleaner followed by a nice lube.

If you've really been using this bike a lot, the chainrings might be cooked as well. If so, that means a new crank for a Trek 4300.

Again, I'd replace these parts with equivalents to what you have or just a slight bit above. Don't go nuts. Putting an XT derailleur on there won't change how the bike rides or shifts at all. Keep in mind, even XT kit is found on $4000 bikes these days. Same for SLX. No sense putting that level of kit on a 4300. It'll do just fine (as it has for a few years) with lesser expensive bits.

Regarding doing this work yourself, have at it, but maybe leave the cable cutting to the shop. In my opinion, the most common error in bike mechanics is poorly cut cable housings. It's so easy to do, it's easy to not do properly.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Throw on a SRAM rear cassette, XT rear der., SRAM chain, LX front der and go. Ive been running that set up on my Liquid for years and its pretty awesome. Unless you are doing serious racing skip X.0 or XTR as it really doesnt give you any more advantage than XT would. Forget something fancy on the front as youre not really going to be shifting through the front nearly as much as you will the rear. SRAM chains and cassettes are great and I like them much better than Shimanos.

As for forks, Ive run Manitou, Marzocchi and Fox and have to say stick with a Marz fork. I currently have a Manitou Minute 3 w/ IT on the liquid and HATE it. I ride my Cervelo more than my Liquid now but if I ever start MTB riding more again, the first thing to go is that crappy fork. It has had to be rebuilt 2 times. First time after only a few months of ownership and thats just under regular riding, nothing hard or extreme.

tacollie

Glamper
Look out for an older Marzocchi that is coil sprung. They are heavy but last a long time and go fairly cheap these days. Not as fancy as some newer stuff but a big upgrade for RST.:drool: Anything newer than 06 or 07 I say fox. They are the only thing that seems to last more than a season anymore but you pay for them heavily. We joke about RST only being in business because someone has to build fork for Manitou.

My buddy was broke and bought some SLX shifters and derailleurs. They have worked surprisingly well. Good for the price and could hold you over until you are ready for the new bike. Otherwise I would say get xt of x9.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Hey, turn that sucker into a singlespeed! I'm building one up right now. I know our area is uber hilly, but it's surprising what you can climb with just one speed. If I were you, I'd just ditch the shifters and deraileurs, ditch that fork and just get a rigid on craigslist or KSL for dirt cheap, then just ride the crap out of it.

Also, FYI, there is a bike swap this Saturday at the State Fairgrounds. Good place to pick up parts. Let me know if you need help. I'm not good with deraileur adjustments, but I can do just about everything else.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The collectives is an excellent piece of advice. I would bet they have a lot of those parts lying around for some 8 speed setups (rare these days) or reasonable cost on the conversion components to 9 speed rear if you're on a budget...

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Can you guys give some recommendations (I've looked at SRAM but want some other options) for a front derailer and crankset? There's a ton of parts and reviews out there. I need something to work on.

Dieselcruiserhead you work on bikes right? :sombrero:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles