Mtn. Bike Components Recommendations

EricBirk

Adventurer
For Expo Mountain Bike folks (I have this post on mtbr as well)

I need some recommendations from you all. I've had my current bike (Trek 4300, hardtail) since 06 and she's taken quite a beating during that time. I don't have the money right now to replace the bike but she has a few issues mostly when it comes to changine though the gears. Anytime I try to go past 12th (24 speed) it's a no for the most part, it won't shift properly or the chain slips.

So I'm assuming that the front and gears need to replaced, as well as the chain (I've broken the current one a few times and have master links in a few spots ). The front fork needs to be replaced maybe with an adjustable one.

What would you guys recemmend part wise and where to buy parts? I'll be doing some searching but any help getting pointed in the right direction would help. I have a limited budget for parts, I don't need anything fancy just better than what I have!!!

Front fork is a RST Gila
Gears and disc brakes are Shimano

SRAM and Rock Shox, you cant beat em.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I was hoping to get a new bike this year but that is a no go due to other things so I'm back to replacing part.

Last year after I posted this the rear derailer broke off it's mounting point at the frame and got sucked into the wheel, luckliy it didn't damage the wheel (no clue how that happend). So I picked up a new rear derailer and chain. I've also replaced the brake pads but I'm not sure if I got those adjusted right.

So I'm still leaning towards a new fork and a new front cassette (the rear one still looks ok). All the cables need to be replaced.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
You're talking about new front chainrings? You can go 1x9 to simplify like weezer said. Or I've got some chainrings lying around you can have. The fork may just need a rebuild. Feel free to come by my house. I can help with of those fixes, except the fork rebuild.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
You're talking about new front chainrings? You can go 1x9 to simplify like weezer said. Or I've got some chainrings lying around you can have. The fork may just need a rebuild. Feel free to come by my house. I can help with of those fixes, except the fork rebuild.

I may take you up on this offer. Thanks.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Ive had x9 and x7 and I like them better then the XTs I had back in 2003, x7 shifter and x9 rear derailleur is the best price for performance ratio around. XT crank is a good crank set, get it on close out at jensonusa.com or some web site. I traded my 2011 paragon to my ridding buddy, he did a 1x10 job on it, ditching the slx crank it came with...it suits him well:costumed-smiley-007
P.S. did any one mention breaks? anything by avid, Juicy Rs are my favorite out off all of them, but bb7s aren't bad if you don't mind squeezing 4lbs harder or so

Kickapoo Tad

First of all, I didn't see it mentioned here (but I did read quickly)... you said you were going to replace your chainrings and chain you will need to replace your cassette at the same time. This is not a ploy by bike shops to squeeze more money out of you. I have sent many people out the door that didn't want to pay for a new cassette when I had to replace the chain, only to have them come back a day or two later saying that their chain is "skipping."

The chain and cassette gear wear together and when you replace one with out replacing the other it usually doesn't work. So if you hadn't planned on replacing the cassette. . . plan on it.

Now about running a one by or a single speed. Yes, it is far more simple but not everyone has the legs or, in my case, the knees that can grind out big hills. Yeah, maybe when I was younger I would have, but I went through that phase of no suspension (it wasn't invented yet) and no *gasp* index shifting (that was around, but only on Schwinn's, and it was the derailleur that was indexed. Really! Look it up.) I like my gears and I like my suspension and I even like my 26 inch wheels!

Like was said above, consult with your local bike shop. You may pay a bit more than an on-line discounter but you can always go back to store if you have problems.

Ride!

Tad

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
SPent about 2 hrs today over on mtbr reading up on front forks and my head is spinning.

Seems the RockShox TORA is a decent front fork for a someone on a budget from what I have gathered thus far.

alexfm

Explorer
If you like having gears why not just go 1x9? Dump some weight and drama with the front stuff and just keep the back.

How easy is that? I've thought about doin that with my FR bike, I only use the middle gear up front anyway. Is it as easy as just pullin the other two gears off? Or is there more involved?

Sorry for the hijack. :sombrero:

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I use 1x7 on my commuter and what I did for the front was get a DH chainring. The teeth are longer and all identical, as opposed to the middle chainring on a triple chainring crankset which has some shorter teeth and angled cuts in them.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easier for the chain to fall off the chainring if you keep the stock chainring, because it is made to be easy when you use your shifter.

If you freeride your bike a lot, you might wanna consider a DH chainring, but also a chainguide to keep it from falling off if the going gets rough.

And finally to the OP, Tad really summed it up well. Get a new cassette at the same time you get a chain. :D

Flagster

Expedition Leader
SPent about 2 hrs today over on mtbr reading up on front forks and my head is spinning.

Seems the RockShox TORA is a decent front fork for a someone on a budget from what I have gathered thus far.

JMO but I would avoid buying a new fork (especially at the low pricepoint)...there are so many good used forks available...I am not sure what the Tora costs but I am sure you could buy a 750$ used fork for the same price... I have bought 4 out of 5 of my Fox forks used...tons of people part out bikes with little use...I would avoid ebay as you often see worn out seals/leaks...but CList is great...

As for parts...most parts unless ridden very hard in mud and not cared for...last a long time...I have used the XTR cassettes on my race and trail bikes for 4+years with no noticeable wear...I would go for used parts to keep a budget down...would much rather have the better shifting and longer use of the high end group...

If you need any parts shoot me a PM...I have enough used and new parts in my garage to build 20 bikes (LX->XTR/XO)...Have a used Rock Shox SID world cup and a used Fox Vanilla 140 (probably too much boing for your frame)...if you are interested...

alexfm

Explorer
JMO but I would avoid buying a new fork (especially at the low pricepoint)...there are so many good used forks available...I am not sure what the Tora costs but I am sure you could buy a 750$ used fork for the same price... I have bought 4 out of 5 of my Fox forks used...tons of people part out bikes with little use...I would avoid ebay as you often see worn out seals/leaks...but CList is great...

As for parts...most parts unless ridden very hard in mud and not cared for...last a long time...I have used the XTR cassettes on my race and trail bikes for 4+years with no noticeable wear...I would go for used parts to keep a budget down...would much rather have the better shifting and longer use of the high end group...

If you need any parts shoot me a PM...I have enough used and new parts in my garage to build 20 bikes (LX->XTR/XO)...Have a used Rock Shox SID world cup and a used Fox Vanilla 140 (probably too much boing for your frame)...if you are interested...

If the OP doesnt take the Fox fork, I might be interested. Sendin you a PM about it so not to clutter the thread. :sombrero:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Still looking at front forks (new and used) but don't you have to take into consideration the diameter and length of the stem?

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Got the bike pulled apart and got everything cleaned.

Part wise this is what I currently have the bike - all shimano parts

Front Derailer FD-C050
Front Crankset FC-M410
Rear Cassette HG-50 (8 speed)

The front ring gears show signs of rounding off and a few are, some the tops are slight bent. The rear cassette is in better condition than the front (could probable get away with still using it).

I found the replacement parts on jensenusa and amazon. Should I stick with the same components or should I upgrade.

If I upgrade what would you all recommend, keeping in mind I don't have alot of $$ to spend.

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
Whats the steer tube length? and is it 1 1/8 ? I have a couple forks I have taken off my bikes. One is off my wife Santa Cruz Juliana so it might be short on the steer but a nice fork and the the other is 115mm triple I won at a race. Might have another need to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier