USA VenturCraft

xranger

I have a great little, no longer built, USA VenturCraft trailer and am looking for info on this trailer. My trailer has a tonneau cover and have seen some with a hard top cover with a rack on it. Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find a hard top? I've used this trailer for about 5 years, great camper!!

Scott Brady

Founder
I owned one for about five years too.

This is all the info I have.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/VenturCraft/index.html

ecddjeep_trailer_jpg.jpg

xranger

Cool, why did you get rid of it, any problems and If I may, how much did you sell it for, I am thinking of selling mine.

Scott Brady

Founder
The suspension was just not up to the pounding (or the contents as a result)

I sold it to a friend for cheap and bought a Chaser Trailer from AT.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've never seen one, but I understand the stock frame, particularly the tongue, to be not all that strong. The original purchaser of mine had a whole new frame built for it by a local fabrication 4X4 shop. That shop added short RS9000's to the suspension. I've posted pictures from underneath in several threads.

I like ours a lot. No RTT that I know of allows you to stand at ground level and dress while still inside the tent (i.e. Not in a separate enclosure).
Ours has the hard cover. It is heavy and a bit of a PITA to remove and install. Though it is very nice to have for storage. My plan is to have a local marine canvas shop make us a soft cover for traveling and keep the hard cover for storage. If you only want the hard cover for being able to use racks on the trailer I would suggest building racks that can be folded to the front and the rear for tent erection.

xranger

It never occurred to me to build a rack for loads, great idea. I had talked with a welder in my town and he was willing to make a hardcover out of aluminum, but the price of the material was bumping 200 not including labor.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have always wanted one. The trailer in the picture is owned by a friend of mine. The inside is waterproof to boot.

Attachments

• venturecraft.JPG
    venturecraft.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 121

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I spy a leaf spring and shackle there. Did he modify it, or?

Were I going to make a hard cover I would frame it, lightly, in clear Fir or similar using boat building type construction techniques (fitted and bonded - not nailed & stapled). Then panel it in high grade 1/8" ply, and encase the whole thing - inside and out in glass cloth and resin.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I spy a leaf spring and shackle there. Did he modify it, or?

Were I going to make a hard cover I would frame it, lightly, in clear Fir or similar using boat building type construction techniques (fitted and bonded - not nailed & stapled). Then panel it in high grade 1/8" ply, and encase the whole thing - inside and out in glass cloth and resin.

Good eye! Refitted with a light frame and leaf springs.

rarecj8

Observer
i really like my venturecraft, altho that pesky torsion suspension has caused some unintended roll overs... lookingto sell mine and add a serengeti RTT to a military trailer-- more rubicon friendly...

DSC02650-1.jpg

oops! used the jeep's winch to self right with use of some pullys

DSCN1983.jpg

oops again!

DSC09343.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
i really like my venturecraft, altho that pesky torsion suspension has caused some unintended roll overs... lookingto sell mine and add a serengeti RTT to a military trailer-- more rubicon friendly...

DSC02650-1.jpg

oops! used the jeep's winch to self right with use of some pullys

DSCN1983.jpg

oops again!

DSC09343.jpg

Also i just notice the frame on the bottom of your trailer is different then mine, I have a rectangular frame were the tongue is attached to.

I am in the process of beefing my frame too, so that I can carry extra weight upfront ( jerry can holders, water holders and fridge ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke