Thread: Roof rack for 1st Gen 4runner

Default Roof rack for 1st Gen 4runner

Just been browsing the forum for the first time...lots of great info.

The lakes have melted and I need a boat rack FAST!

I had thought mounting one onto the fiberglass top, but didn't really want to drill through it. Then a toyota mechanic told me to get a wrap-around style that mounts between the box rim and fiberglass top...but I'm hearing some things about that compromising the seal. My truck is nice, dont' wanna screw it up.

There is a wrap around style for sale cheap near me...Is there any way to install this so that I don't compromise the seal and so the bolts line up when reinstalling the fiberglass top??

I'm open to ANY other ideas that will allow me to carry a solid load.

Help! I need a boat rack FAST!

Thanks in advance!

Here's the truck:

Here is a thread that discusses racks for first gen 4runners.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=35097

Quote Originally Posted by grease line View Post
    Just been browsing the forum for the first time...lots of great info.

The lakes have melted and I need a boat rack FAST!

I had thought mounting one onto the fiberglass top, but didn't really want to drill through it. Then a toyota mechanic told me to get a wrap-around style that mounts between the box rim and fiberglass top...but I'm hearing some things about that compromising the seal. My truck is nice, dont' wanna screw it up.

There is a wrap around style for sale cheap near me...Is there any way to install this so that I don't compromise the seal and so the bolts line up when reinstalling the fiberglass top??

I'm open to ANY other ideas that will allow me to carry a solid load.

Help! I need a boat rack FAST!

Thanks in advance!

Here's the truck:

I love those stripes. Your truck is nice!

Cheers man, it is a pleasure to drive.

This one is a nice rack for 1st Gen.:

'05 4Runner V6
    5" Custom L-T Lift, 35" MT+AT, ARB / CBI bumpers, 4.56, Snorkel, Custom RoofRack

'01 4Runner V6
    3.5", 33" AT, ARB / CBI bumpers, Snorkel

'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
    ... New Project...

'09 Off-Road Trailer
    Custom build, 35" MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJet View Post
    This one is a nice rack for 1st Gen.:

LaOutbackTrail is planning a roof rack similar to that one, but with a integrated basket mounted in front.

Whatever you do, you should keep it contained enough to be able to remove the top.
    Get out and make nowhere your special somewhere!

Roof rack was swiped off an Isuzu Rodeo, the cross bars were shortened so it would fit between the rear windows. It's mounted with 8 6mm stainless bolts through the shell with brake line cut to length to prevent the walls of the shell from distorting when everything was tightened down (sleeve for teh bolts to go through). In addition to the factory rubber gasket under the side rails I used just a touch of RTV to prevent and water leaks, so far I've had none.

I haven't had a chance to throw a basket up there yet (one of the projects waiting for warm weather), but the side rails should help distribute weight. Still wouldn't throw any serious weight up there though, too much weight bouncing around on the fiberglass could be bad - so probably not a good option for a boat rack
    -Keith- general license ham
    '88 4runner SR5 - 3L 7MGE swap - 4.88 front LSD / rear E-Locker - 33x10.5 BFG KM2's - NWMP 14 gal aux fuel tank

Corax's 1st gen RN61 4runner

"In short: we used everything we took and didn't miss anything we didn't take. Which does not mean we really 'needed' everything we took." - RadioBaobab

hard tops are cheap. Go find one to be medieval on and set you original asside. I plan all sorts of hacks on my $25 top.
    97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    86 Toyota 4Runner For sale
    Truck Build Thread
    Trailer Build Thread
    Grimmys Adventure Blog