Roof rack for 1st Gen 4runner

grease line

Just been browsing the forum for the first time...lots of great info.

The lakes have melted and I need a boat rack FAST!

I had thought mounting one onto the fiberglass top, but didn't really want to drill through it. Then a toyota mechanic told me to get a wrap-around style that mounts between the box rim and fiberglass top...but I'm hearing some things about that compromising the seal. My truck is nice, dont' wanna screw it up.

There is a wrap around style for sale cheap near me...Is there any way to install this so that I don't compromise the seal and so the bolts line up when reinstalling the fiberglass top??

I'm open to ANY other ideas that will allow me to carry a solid load.

Help! I need a boat rack FAST!

Thanks in advance!

Here's the truck:

25003_340881020758_513125758_4159501_5598662_n.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
Just been browsing the forum for the first time...lots of great info.

The lakes have melted and I need a boat rack FAST!

I had thought mounting one onto the fiberglass top, but didn't really want to drill through it. Then a toyota mechanic told me to get a wrap-around style that mounts between the box rim and fiberglass top...but I'm hearing some things about that compromising the seal. My truck is nice, dont' wanna screw it up.

There is a wrap around style for sale cheap near me...Is there any way to install this so that I don't compromise the seal and so the bolts line up when reinstalling the fiberglass top??

I'm open to ANY other ideas that will allow me to carry a solid load.

Help! I need a boat rack FAST!

Thanks in advance!

Here's the truck:

25003_340881020758_513125758_4159501_5598662_n.jpg

I love those stripes. Your truck is nice!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
This one is a nice rack for 1st Gen.:

121084610_SWveZ-L.jpg

LaOutbackTrail is planning a roof rack similar to that one, but with a integrated basket mounted in front.

Whatever you do, you should keep it contained enough to be able to remove the top.

corax

Explorer
Roof rack was swiped off an Isuzu Rodeo, the cross bars were shortened so it would fit between the rear windows. It's mounted with 8 6mm stainless bolts through the shell with brake line cut to length to prevent the walls of the shell from distorting when everything was tightened down (sleeve for teh bolts to go through). In addition to the factory rubber gasket under the side rails I used just a touch of RTV to prevent and water leaks, so far I've had none.

1000028gc8.jpg

I haven't had a chance to throw a basket up there yet (one of the projects waiting for warm weather), but the side rails should help distribute weight. Still wouldn't throw any serious weight up there though, too much weight bouncing around on the fiberglass could be bad - so probably not a good option for a boat rack

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
hard tops are cheap. Go find one to be medieval on and set you original asside. I plan all sorts of hacks on my $25 top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles