Navigation stereo receivers - practical?

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi Everyone,

So I need a new stereo in my XJ as my CD player busted and my speakers went out. I'll be pulling my speakers and amp/woofer combo out of my other XJ, but I was curious about adding a headunit with built-in navigation...

Is it practical? Is it useful? It would neat to combine DVD, Nav, CD and radio all in one unit and talk about an easy install...

I'm looking at an idea like this:

p110VM9414-f_mt.jpeg

Any thoughts? Obviously it would have to be programmable somehow so that I have the same route creating abilities as other nav units...right?

What am I missing here?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
personally something like that is just an invitation to have your window broken, but I live in the ghetto. Also, if you spend $500-$1k on that you are really stuck with it and its interface and its datasets. Or you can buy a TomTom for $60 and take it with you from car to car, upgrade the maps, and throw it away when it becomes obsolete. Then buy a $200 Alpine or *insert brand here* and you're done.

SWbySWesty

yea - I guess I should stick to what works...I have a working head unit donor in the other XJ too...just thought about an upgrade.

but this isn't really an invitation to get stolen - it goes back inside the deck when powered off so looks no different than any other aftermarket headunit...just playing devil's advocate.

You're right though, I'm more concerned about the navigational features than anything of these types of units and their customizability (is that even a word?)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Haven't really found one that will display or operate Topo type maps worth a damn. They are great street navigators, but aren't really designed for offroad type navigation. Even the Kenwood highend units that use Garmins system, don't display the Topos with all of the information that you would see on a typical Topo GPS. You get a stripped down version of the map on display.

I may be missing one, so if you find one, please let me know.

Jack

SWbySWesty

My search is over - I'm going with a standard head unit and probably a portable GPS unit since I want to be able to take it hiking as well...I just like to give closure to threads I start :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz