Homemade Snorkel

Wanted to bump this thread thanks to all the ideas tomorrow I should have mine ready. Was going to go PVC with no visable fittings. But instead decided to get a muffler shop to make it. Should be on tomorrow. Can't wait

Steve UK

Adventurer
There are some great snorkels here, I like Ozx's on page 1 it reminded me of mine, once powder coated black they look much better.

Mine is a Southdown made in the UK with custom clamps attaching it to the roll cage.

picture.php

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Homemade snorkels can get cheesy looking fast so when I made mine I tried to stick to solving the problem I had. Not sure if it looks cheesy or not. Don't care. It solved the problem so that's good enough.
I was offroading working for the forest service every day. Anywhere from 50-200 offroad dusty miles and I could have replaced the air filter every day if I wanted to. I got tired of thinking about what that was doing to the engine so I started this little project.
So I did a snorkel with a donaldson air precleaner as some others have done. It worked perfectly. I replace my air filter yearly now and even then it looks near perfect, but I just do it to make myself feel better.

Also, it works for water crossings at the height I actually will do them at. Any deeper than this point and I have bigger issues as my engine and interior I don't dare push any deeper.

Here is the blog post showing the install. Pretty simple. Just need to make it as water tight as possible. http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2009/03/building-homemade-snorkel.html

A pic of the snorkel internals stolen from Amsoil's site:

topspin_diagram_lg.gif

It came in handy. I have video of my friend Jon's truck with the same setup crossing the verde a couple weeks ago. I think it's a little over half way through this video.

And a couple pics of it:

IMG_0117.jpg

P4090046.jpg

Last edited:

barbela

I think that $400 for a snorkel is a bit much. I'm thinking of building one myself. Does anybody have a home made snorkel on their 60?

Ramdough

Adventurer
I like the designs. Arb has a video of a land cruiser going pretty deep and floating down stream with the engine running.

I plan on eventually doing a homemade snorkel with a precleaner, but I hope to do diesel conversion first.

I will run mine to the roof.

One thing to keep in mind... If your electronics get wet, your engine may stop.... If you ingest water, you can destroy your engine. Even if your electonics are your limiting factor, for my custom snorkel, I am going to the roof. ( I still like the short ones though, just not my choice).

Another thing to think about is that on a turbo diesel you want as little intake resistance as possible, but on a gas engine, there is a limit at which point you lose torque if your intake is too short. I know it seams counter intuitive, but that is something I learned from a super car tuner.

red87

Adventurer
I like the designs. Arb has a video of a land cruiser going pretty deep and floating down stream with the engine running.

I plan on eventually doing a homemade snorkel with a precleaner, but I hope to do diesel conversion first.

I will run mine to the roof.

One thing to keep in mind... If your electronics get wet, your engine may stop.... If you ingest water, you can destroy your engine. Even if your electonics are your limiting factor, for my custom snorkel, I am going to the roof. ( I still like the short ones though, just not my choice).

Another thing to think about is that on a turbo diesel you want as little intake resistance as possible, but on a gas engine, there is a limit at which point you lose torque if your intake is too short. I know it seams counter intuitive, but that is something I learned from a super car tuner.

I think the intake length he was talking about is the intake manifold runner length. I don't think it matters one bit how long the intake is before the throttle body.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
^^Agreed. From the throttle body to the intake valve inlets is the critical distance. As long as the diameter of the snorkel tubing isn't too small (think straw vs pipe), it wouldn't matter what the length is.

oregonslammi

the builder
are all you snorkel toting individuals doing anything for diffs, trannys, or t-cases as far as keeping them sealed. when i got my sammi the kid i got it from had a ridiculous snorkel on the exhaust and intake, wish i had pics to show. but when i went to drain and replace all the fluids everything had water in it, it was a mess. the rearend was solid mud, no oil, the t-case was almost all water, i had to replace the tranny and the frontend had water in it. first thing i did was rebuilt the rearend and ran the vent into the cab about 6' worth of line, same on the front, ran it into the air box i made. just replaced the t-case as well..i like the thought of snorkels but i think that there are measures that need to be taken to run one. it seems that if you don't run one you stay out of trouble and if you do have one you can justify trouble. dunno, seems like that was the thoughts of previous owner on my rig.

Bogo

Adventurer
Breather tubes on the transmission, transfer case, and differentials like you put on the Sammi. Re-grease the u-joints at the end of the days I did water crossings. Check the transmission, transfer case and differential oils after trips. That's it. I have a Toyota 4x4 pickup and now a 4runner. Technically it may be good to pressurize them a bit when you put them more than a foot or so under water, but then that is what checking the oil after the trip is for.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Looks like this guy made his own...spotted in Flagstaff, AZ last weekend...
I honestly think he does his share of water crossings...I can't imaging doing that to an nice wagon and not putting it to use...
Now that I think of it I can't probably say I saw more water time in my 04 outback than my current land cruiser...sad...

Attachments

• CIMG0076.jpg
    CIMG0076.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG0078.jpg
    CIMG0078.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 128

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles