Homemade Snorkel

leman

Adventurer
who has one? i love seeing the enginuity that some people come up with. so lets see those homemade snorkel setups. or heck lets go ahead and see all cool snorkel setups.. i have a thing for water. so i naturally like snorkels.

and lets face it they look bad a** :snorkel::smiley_drive:

1speed

Explorer
Not exactly "home" made. I had a local fab shop do it since I don't weld (yet).

P1010124.jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
All painted up , the snorkel came out looking real nice , Jim...your fabricator has some skillz.
Unfortunately for owners of some of the less popular offroad capable vehicles out there, custom fabrication is the only way to get some products.

PhulesAU

Explorer
That ain't a snorkle, it's a hood ornament. Your fab dude :rockon:
Aren't snorkels supposed to be cheap black plastic?:shakin:

OzX

Adventurer
Aluminized steel 3" OD tubing from a muffler shop with a 90o "Cobra" elbow. Welded bracket and nutserts on the A Pillar.
At the time there was no RAIs for 2nd Gen Xterras. Now there are but quite pricey.

rai01.jpg

rai02.jpg

rai03.jpg

rai04.jpg

rai05.jpg

rai07.jpg

rai08.jpg

rai09.jpg

Powdercoated and in use:
12741.jpg

DSC_2673.jpg

leman

Adventurer
OZx where did you get the air ram on the top? i think i may end up using a dryer vent

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Man that one on the Dodge look great! And, the one on the Nissan made out of exhaust tubing looked .....well crappy, until I saw the last pic. Powder coated and finished it looks really good.

OzX

Adventurer
Man that one on the Dodge look great! And, the one on the Nissan made out of exhaust tubing looked .....well crappy, until I saw the last pic. Powder coated and finished it looks really good.

I built it as a prototype - I really hate the crushing on the bends. My next one I will either find someone who can bend 3" OD aluminum tubing (unlikely, I've heard that it can be done and it cant be done) or I find a source that sells 90o 3" OD elbows and slice it up for the 2 bends and weld it up that way.

Box Rocket

One I made for my old '85. Hi temp flex hose, Black ABS on the A pillar and ARB inlet on top. Think I spent about $50 on the whole thing.

flatbed_f.jpg

flatbed_b.jpg

Youngunner

Adventurer
OZx where did you get the air ram on the top? i think i may end up using a dryer vent

Or...you can buy my ARB scoop for half that price! I run a donaldson pre-cleaner now. If you are wondering, the adapter is a 3 1/2 - 3 " exhaust tubing adapter from summit racing since NOBODY made one for those dimensions. Painted with wrinkle finish.

l_35bb22f6ad3f411783bbd0fea4a7002d.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Anybody thinking about making a snorkel out of tube should be aware of tube donuts. These are typically used for making turbo downpipes or intakes, but could be used in this application. Basically for achieving a much tighter radius than you can with a real bent pipe. Would be nice for the first bend coming out of the fender. You cut them up into pieces to achieve the bend you need.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=1227&action=product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles