Homemade Snorkel

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I would like to see the argument for this...I live and drive daily on a dirt road...usually am following someone and I can't see b/c of the dust...how is my snorkel keeping dust out...maybe a prefilter?...or if you aren't following another vehicle...

C-Fish

Adventurer
^^^The general consensus is that you 'reduce' the concentration of dust entering the engine by moving the pickup point further from the ground.

Box Rocket

Also, the heavier dust particulates generally do not get as high in the air leaving the finer particulates up high. Furthering the idea that by moving the intake up higher less dust is making it to the air cleaner, and the dust that does is make it to the air cleaner is finer and potentially less damaging to the air cleaner. Dust will still make it in, just less of it. My first run out in the desert after I got my Tacoma was with the factory air cleaner (it was new). I was out in the desert for about 3 hours following another truck. The air cleaner was completely clogged with dust and needed to be replaced by the time I got home. Later after adding a snorkel I went on a 4 day 1000+ mile trip across the entire state of Utah on dirt roads with 5 other trucks. Lots of dust the entire trip. When I got home and checked the air cleaner it was a little dusty but not bad at all. I shook it out and reinstalled it. Snorkel definitely made a difference on the amount of dust that made it into the intake system.

Oh, and a prefilter will make it even better.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Ditto!

Breather tubes on the transmission, transfer case, and differentials like you put on the Sammi. Re-grease the u-joints at the end of the days I did water crossings. Check the transmission, transfer case and differential oils after trips. That's it. I have a Toyota 4x4 pickup and now a 4runner. Technically it may be good to pressurize them a bit when you put them more than a foot or so under water, but then that is what checking the oil after the trip is for.

Diesels w/crankcase depression valves do a good of putting a little pressure on all the drive train vents and accessory vents.

Most forget p/s pump, hydro boost, master cylinder need to be vented higher up where the snorkel entry is for fording.

For gas powered vehicles a low chassis mounted ball device much like a swimming snorkel can be incorporated to shut off all vents when water pushes up on ball device closing it with entering water.. Some like to just put balloons on vents.

Sure PM is a must even with proper venting!

Last edited:

norcal4x4

not homemade... but made to work!

73440_1451868051236_1069290106_1042317_7589878_n.jpg

200432_1638576158822_1069290106_1353001_3669976_n.jpg

motrhed

Observer
Also, the heavier dust particulates generally do not get as high in the air leaving the finer particulates up high. Furthering the idea that by moving the intake up higher less dust is making it to the air cleaner, and the dust that does is make it to the air cleaner is finer and potentially less damaging to the air cleaner.

The fine stuff is what I am afraid of... the finer dust particles actually have a better chance of making it through the air filter.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
The fine stuff is what I am afraid of... the finer dust particles actually have a better chance of making it through the air filter.

If I'm reading you correctly you might be thinking that having a greater percentage of fine dust particles coming to the filter (due to the higher snorkel intake placement) is somehow a worse scenario. It's not. That same fine particulate matter is going to be pulled in to the filter regardless. A snorkel with your standard Wix/Fram/Etc paper element filter would be a very effective system so long as that paper element doesn't get soaked in water.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm thinking maybe I could just cut a whole in the hood of the F-150 and pipe in a tuba bell, it could rotate facing backwards for dusty roads and forward for water......what do you think? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz