Four Wheel Popup Campers in Ford Broncos

Thunderbear

We can do some custom stuff here at the factory, but we try and stay away from it. A few simple things here and there is OK. But when we get into big changes we basically end up building the camper from the ground up as a "one off". We are so busy right now we just can't afford to redesign each camper one by one. If you have customs ideas, we always wecome you ask to see if we might be able to do it. Sometimes we can do them, sometimes we can't. If we do something like go from a 48" cabover out to a 54" cabover we are going to need to retest the strenght of the cabover, build a longer soft-sided liner, re-do the jigs for the roof framing, re-work the arctic pack measurements, etc.

The last Bronco Model we built here in the shop was here for almost 2 years. We won't be doing that anytime soon. We lost money and the customer got a smokin good deal for a ground up, custom built camper. Good for him, bad for us.

:(

Would some of the standard models work if the customer wasn't interested in a pass-through? I understand there would be fab work on the angle between the vehicle roof to front camper bulkhead on both K5's and FSBs, but is the wheelbase that different between the regular cab/shortbed and the Bronco/K5?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Phoenix Rv will build a camper for a box style bronco or anything else you want a camper on.
http://www.phoenixcampers.com/8CUSTOMCAMPERS.html
The guy that owns it is the family that started 4 wheel campers so they have been doing it a long time and are really reasonable in their prices. However you do get what you pay for if you want a prevost then pay for one. I see people dog their campers on the forum here and there but the bottom line is they are half the price of a Hallmark or outfitter, and they will build it anyway you want where no one else will do that. My personal opinion is the structural quality is there (welded aluminum frames) but the fit and finish is not that of a Tour Bus. But for me I like to camp and enjoy the out doors so less money spent having top of the line counter tops means more money spent going somewhere I have never been before which is the point of a camper for me anyway. Good luck with your search.
Derek

74-Camper-Dr-Fender.jpg

There is an early Bronco for sale in Texas $5500 Just needs finishing work...no rust! :Wow1: What a great project for someone!

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1642689701.html

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159200 Lots of photos but you may not be able to see them if you are not a member.

http://offroadaction.ca/early-bronco-camper-for-sale some photos here.

This is a great deal for someone!

zimm

Expedition Leader
We can do some custom stuff here at the factory, but we try and stay away from it. A few simple things here and there is OK. But when we get into big changes we basically end up building the camper from the ground up as a "one off". We are so busy right now we just can't afford to redesign each camper one by one. If you have customs ideas, we always wecome you ask to see if we might be able to do it. Sometimes we can do them, sometimes we can't. If we do something like go from a 48" cabover out to a 54" cabover we are going to need to retest the strenght of the cabover, build a longer soft-sided liner, re-do the jigs for the roof framing, re-work the arctic pack measurements, etc.

The last Bronco Model we built here in the shop was here for almost 2 years. We won't be doing that anytime soon. We lost money and the customer got a smokin good deal for a ground up, custom built camper. Good for him, bad for us.

:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

as a former plant manager, im not sure im clear. if you already had to produce drawings, tests, jigs, and other r&d to certify the product for a one off, arnt you now losing money by not utilizing this information? the hard work is done, now all youre talking about is a line stoppage for a non typical build... that should be a 30% markup.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
as a former plant manager, im not sure im clear. if you already had to produce drawings, tests, jigs, and other r&d to certify the product for a one off, arnt you now losing money by not utilizing this information? the hard work is done, now all youre talking about is a line stoppage for a non typical build... that should be a 30% markup.

Four Wheel made bronco campers prior to being sold (at least once if not twice). They are a production camper company and make excellent products as such. Phoenix Campers is the family that started Four Wheel. They are a custom camper company. There is a huge difference between an "assembly line" method and a custom shop. Plus, I would suspect that any drawings from the past era are either non-existent or so crude (by modern CAD standards) that they would merely provide a starting point.

masterplumber

Observer
Just came across this thread. If any one is interested, there is a 4 wheel bronco/blazer model camper between Sargents and Gunnison Colorado on Hwy 50 that can be had for free. Now before everyone rushes out there, here are the details; I'm not sure which vehicle it was on as the cowling piece between the cab and camper appear to be missing. The entire roof is missing and it has set out in the weather for years. It's currently mounted on a homemade trailer that I would probably not tow on the road - best to take a flatbed trailer and winch it up on it. I spoke to the owner a couple years ago and he said at the time I could have it for free if I hauled it away - sorry, I don't have his contact information - you'll just have to drive up and knock on the door. Basically you would be getting a frame to start with and it would be a complete rebuild. I'm sure 4 Wheel, Phoenix, or? could easily make a new roof and the rest is just basic camper work like everyone here is already doing. So have at it - I was looking for my brother in law who has a "79 Bronco but he decided against the project. As of October this year it was still there, easy to see off the north side of the highway.

Prizefighter

I spoke with Phoenix Pop Up this week about building me a new camper for my Bronco since the used ones are difficult to find and pricey if you do. They can build a brand new one at base for $17k. The interior, design, and quality is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s and they said they have improved on them since last year. I am taking a hard look at going this route since Broncos with campers are about $15k and need a lot of work.

Now I've got to determine which would be better, a camper on my 70 Bronco or my 78 Bronco. Any thoughts? Both have their pros and cons.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I spoke with Phoenix Pop Up this week about building me a new camper for my Bronco since the used ones are difficult to find and pricey if you do. They can build a brand new one at base for $17k. The interior, design, and quality is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s and they said they have improved on them since last year. I am taking a hard look at going this route since Broncos with campers are about $15k and need a lot of work.

Now I've got to determine which would be better, a camper on my 70 Bronco or my 78 Bronco. Any thoughts? Both have their pros and cons.
If you haven't already, I would read through MYTACO's account thoroughly before buying from Phoenix. I not saying not to but just to be knowledgeable so you know can ask as many questions as possible up front http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119653-My-Taco-Phoenix-Pop-Up-Camper?highlight=mytaco

Prizefighter

Wow, that's disappointing. I don't want to get off topic however since this is a thread about pop up campers and Broncos I have some questions. In that thread he posted a link to this guy's experience with multiple companies http://lifewetravel.com/our-two-year-journey-choosing-a-pop-up-camper They aren't pop ups but same companies are mentioned.

Is there a good option for a company who would make a camper for a Bronco? With increasing prices on the old pop up campers, would it be cost effective for a company to manufacture one now vs. a few years ago?

Prizefighter

I called Hallmark today, they don't build campers for Broncos or Blazers anymore.

I've never heard of ATC, I will research them. How's their quality?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior