Four Wheel Popup Campers in Ford Broncos

dsc20P4183256.jpg

camper3.jpg

Camper_Bronco.jpg

Hey Guys,
I have done a series of blog posts on Four Wheel campers in 66-77 and 78-79 Broncos. Do you have any more photos or information on them?

http://offroadaction.ca/bronco-camper-undergoing-restoration

http://offroadaction.ca/more-early-ford-bronco-campers

http://offroadaction.ca/more-camper-broncos

A reader on Classic Broncos.com started a post and there was some good information there.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155093

Early Broncos have been my vehicle of choice for years and the thought of having a camper on the back makes me woozy with excitement!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Dang, where was this when I was doing my research like 6 months ago. I had had the thought that a Bronco or K5 blazer with a pop-top truck camper would rock, but couldn't find much info at the time.

I went and bought a van, so now I'm sort of committed to another path, but those look awesome.

I love the ideas of these or the Chalet Blazer. Maybe it is because they are so different? I have to admit, I there is probably not much room in the early bronco unit, but the 78/79 or 80-86 would work well. Imagine at 79 with a 4BT diesel?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
K5 FWC in SD.

There's a K5 Blazer w/FWC here in San Diego. It's a daily driver with swingout bumper. The guy's a rockhound. Somedays I feel like leaving him a note..."when your ready to sell".

kjp1969

Explorer
Call 4wheelcampers in Sacramento- they know all about them. They were built in Colorado and most of the used ones are still there. 4WC will refurb one for you if you find one.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Those are cool for sure.
I have always thought that a late model (96) Bronco with a solid front axle and a four wheel camper would be a blast.

jackflash

Observer
I sent an email to FWC about putting a unit into a 96 Bronco, but have not received an answer. I think that would be a great set up. I was thinking about a Sportsmobile, but would totally go the Bronco route if FWC would work with me on fitting a unit into one. If any one knows who to contact about this at FWC or if you know a third party that would do a quality job please let me know.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Talk to Stan, user name Stan@FourWheel
When I inquired about custom work (even something as simple as a 54" cabover instead of a 48") he told me that they can not do custom work as all of their plans have to go through some approval process through California or something.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
We can do some custom stuff here at the factory, but we try and stay away from it. A few simple things here and there is OK. But when we get into big changes we basically end up building the camper from the ground up as a "one off". We are so busy right now we just can't afford to redesign each camper one by one. If you have customs ideas, we always wecome you ask to see if we might be able to do it. Sometimes we can do them, sometimes we can't. If we do something like go from a 48" cabover out to a 54" cabover we are going to need to retest the strenght of the cabover, build a longer soft-sided liner, re-do the jigs for the roof framing, re-work the arctic pack measurements, etc.

The last Bronco Model we built here in the shop was here for almost 2 years. We won't be doing that anytime soon. We lost money and the customer got a smokin good deal for a ground up, custom built camper. Good for him, bad for us.

:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk to Stan, user name Stan@FourWheel
When I inquired about custom work (even something as simple as a 54" cabover instead of a 48") he told me that they can not do custom work as all of their plans have to go through some approval process through California or something.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
That's a shame, although I can't say I blame you. I would love to be able to put one on my '96 too. How awesome would that be for long trips.

-

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
You can find them used on ebay & craigslist.

Craigslist in Colorado is by far the BEST place to find a used one.

They are awesome when fixed up !

-------------------------------------------------------------

That's a shame, although I can't say I blame you. I would love to be able to put one on my '96 too. How awesome would that be for long trips.

-

Attachments

• Blazer 12.jpg
    Blazer 12.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Bronco Off Road 2.JPG
    Bronco Off Road 2.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Bronco Off Road.jpg
    Bronco Off Road.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 194
  • ScoutandCat.jpg
    ScoutandCat.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 226

joelweb

Stan,

What year did Four Wheel Campers move to California? I have a Scout camper - do you know when the last one of those was made? Any idea of how many?

Thanks in advance!

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles