Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

nevets

This is absolutely amazing. I am now shopping for t100's and thinking of selling my way to big f250 and building something like this. I was sad to get to the end of reading this. Please keep it going. I love the action pics and pics of camp!

Edit: the picture of the back of your truck with the sunset just above your video on page 17 is now my computer background!

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Hey I was just thinking if you bought the DC Tundra you wouldn't have to fabricate a rear window that rolls down, it would be done for you.:):):)

upcountry

Explorer
Hey I was just thinking if you bought the DC Tundra you wouldn't have to fabricate a rear window that rolls down, it would be done for you.:):):)

Yeah but that rear window Fab job was....well.......FABULOUS. Seriously great example of a clean DIY job.

I have read through that section of this thread about 20 times and still enjoy it, especially the part about the neighbors complaint from all the grinding noise and "having some words" being exchanged. Funny $hit!

MrSandman818

INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
Im sure this is too late but **** it. About the license plate light. Why dont you run the light on the bumper thats not the fold out part and face the light inward towards the license plate. It doesnt actually need to be illuminated. As long as theres a white light facing the direction of your license plate. Trailer lights would work just fine. I have trailer license plate lights on my ranch hand bumper and they do just fine.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out what I am going to do about that. I want something really low profile, I really want to do something like these LED Bolts, you can get them in black also:
lightnboltplate.jpg
domed_head.jpg

the problem with these is the wires come out the back and it would be tough to get that to work with the step. I would probably have to cut down the threads which would be tough not to cut the wires, then come up with some way to concel the wires running to back.
So my current plan is to use something like this:
31XKLl2HHEL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the lowest profile thing that I have found, and I can run the wires behind the plate and so it will work with the fold down step. Even though it is pretty small I dont like it very much, but I feel I might have to go this route.

????If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them????

G100

Adventurer
Guys thanks for the kind words and encouragment to keep posting, I will try to keep things updated as much as I can. I am not planning on getting a new rig just cause I have a kid now, I think the T100 will work just fine for quite some time. In fact we are already planning on a Baja trip with the little one in June hopefully. I did manage to squeeze in two more Baja trips recently, which was awesome cause this is my favorite time of year down there.
Expo_2.jpg

Expo_3.jpg

Expo_5.jpg

Showing a little flex.

Oh yea and this happened . . .
Expo_1.jpg

Time for some routine maintenance. First up, timing belt.

J

JWP58

Very cool rig you've got there, I totally dig it. Keep on keepin on.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
This truck and Box Rocket's are my favorite on ExPo. Good work I love its simple utilitarian look, and how functional all of your modifications are.

G100

Adventurer
Gettin' Ready for BAJA 13'

Well I have been getting ready to get back to Baja, this will be the first trip south of the border with my baby girl (2 months old) so we'll see how that goes, already did a test run and went out camping for a weekend and it was no problem at all. Here is a little video my buddy made of Baja 12', been watching it to pump me up. Enjoy! Trip report to come soon.

[video=vimeo;67472649]http://vimeo.com/67472649[/video]​

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Wow... just wow. I've been pretty sporatic with my visits to Expo since moving to Abu Dhabi. I totally missed this build. I'm obviously a huge T100 fan... and this build is A+. Great job with your own modifications to a rig that doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support. This truck will NEVER disappoint you.

Great truck, amazing build, excellent photos. Subscribed!

G100

Adventurer
Baja 13'

Well, we did it. The entire Baja peninsula in two weeks with a 3 month old baby and it was no problem, would do it again in a heart beat. Did a little rountine mantainace before the trip and got my timing belt changed and a new water pump and also had to get some new O-rings on my A/C compressor to get that up and running again cause I knew we were going to be running in to some hot weather. Before every trip it seems like I am always just finishing up a bunch of new modifications to try out on the trip, well this trip I really only have one. I figured that the baby was probably going to spend a good amount of time playing and sleeping in the bed of the truck so I decided it would probably be smart to protect her from the mosiquitos and no-see-ums. So I sewed up a bug screen for the back of the truck and front windows, so that we could keep all the windows down and the doors in the back to keep it as cool as possible.
expo2.jpg

As you can see I just used some bug net and sewed a border of nylon straping to it. It snaps onto the inside of my truck on both sides and the top. It has one snap to hold it together at the bottom with a few velcro patchs running down the opening. I thing I might make version 2 with a zipper. Not pictured is the front window screens which are the same mesh with little velcro patchs around the border and I just used some stick on velcro patchs on the inside of the car door jams around the window. Worked amazing!! Can't believe that I am just doing this now. To think of all the times I have tried to take a nap and couldn't cause flys are constantly buging me or mosiquitos are buzzing in my ears. I highly recommend this modification, it is one that you don't realize how nice it can be until you have it. Maybe I'll post some more photos of my bug screen setup when I refine it with version 2.

expo3.jpg

Camping out in the catcus in Catavina
expo7.jpg

Love camping right on the beach.
expo1.jpg

Watching out for those full moon high tides.
expo6.jpg

Baby's first Baja Bath
DriveBack-3.jpg

Got some waves while we were there.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
The kid will love that bath photo when it's an adult and looks back at it's adventurous parents

Looks like a killer trip and love to see you still using the truck with the new addition to the family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94