Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

G100

Adventurer
I have spent so many hours here on ExPo reading build-ups, reviews, and everything in between that I figured its about time I introduce myself and my project. A little less then a year ago I picked up a used 1997 Toyota T100, I was looking around for one for about 5 months before I found it, I was being pretty picky on what I wanted as far as miles, year, manual trans., seats, color.

Heres what I got:
-97 T100 SR5 V6 3.4
-4x4
-Manual trans.
-121,000 miles
-Bucket seats
-Tow package
-Camper shell with carpet kit.

Here is a picture of how it rolled up on drive way the day I picked it up.

Build-up01-1.jpg

The first thing I did was take off the mud flaps, nerf bars, and logos. I am not a big fan of chrome.

Build-up02.jpg

Next I ended up selling the camper-shell, nerf bars, and the nasty old carpet kit. This increased my build up budget by almost $600. And made my truck look a lot better.

Build-up03.jpg

Now I am ready to do some work. Here is some of what I have planned for the new truck:

-Power roll down rear window (like the quad cab tundras)
-Camper shell with double cargo doors
-Roof rack with side awning, lights, surf racks, and possible tent incorporated.
-Rear bumper
-Front bumper with hitch and some lights
-285/75 R 16's on some black steel rims
-On-board Air system
-Dual battery setup

rdgt4r

Love the T's they are a solid platform in which you will build an awesome truck out of! Looking forward to your ideas and progress. :)

G100

Adventurer
Baja Explorer Ver. 1

So you can get a little more of an idea of what I am trying to produce, I should tell you about my first project. I am basically rebuilding this, just better, with some new ideas:

"Ol' Blue" as I used to call her, was a 94' Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2 V8. I bought her with 80,000 miles and sold her 7 years later with 240,000. She was tough, but throughout the process of building her I knew if I had to ever do it over again it would be on a Toyota.

Mexico09-25-0520.jpg

She was nothing more than a pickup truck when I bought her from her yuppie previous owner who had only shifted it into 4wd once just to "see what it was like". I immediately started taking her down to baja on surf trips. 4wd was the key that unlocked many new areas of baja and started my mission to explore every part of the pacific baja coastline possible. Living in san diego at the time I was going down there a couple times a month, so I got a camper shell for her, I wanted a roof rack but couldn't find what I wanted so I bought a welder and built my own roof rack, from there I just started making modifcations to make my life easier while camping on trips, which ultimately ended up like this:

OldBlue-3.jpg

RackSetup.gif

The Inside:

Truck_15.jpg

InsideS.gif

Applejack

Explorer
T100's are a great truck, a nice choice to build off of. We don't see too many built up, I'd like to see more.
The set-up in your Dakota was pretty sweet looking too.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I love my '95 T100 DX. Absolutely great truck.

qy6e5x.jpg

Suggestion: A really good and cost-effective lift option is the kit from Toytec which enables a 2" all-around lift.... You get 2" ball joint spacers up front, 2" add-a-leaf in rear with extended length ProComp shocks all the way around. Works great and adds nicely to the already good stock ground clearance.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I remember the Dakota thread or postings. Nice looking T-100. That makes 4 of them now here that I know of.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice truck... looks very familiar!

Bucket seats = best ever from Toyota. Great choice.

Looks like you've got the Toyota rake/stinkbug effect... is there already an add-a-leaf in the rear?

Looks like 17" Sequoia rims...?

Your rear window project sounds like a big project. I'll be anxious to follow that.

285/75's will fit on stock suspension ( I ran them for years before adding a small lift) and they're a great match for the weight & width of the T100.

Bumpers... if you bought a welder I'm assuming the bumpers will be home-made? No real desirable mass produced options left for T100 bumpers...

A similar camping set-up to your Dodge will be perfect, should look great. Hands down my favorite truck that I've owned. Best of luck & have fun!

:smiley_drive:

MotoDave

Explorer
Awesome, we've got 1 more T100 on here, and what looks to be a nice build!

I think I saw your Dakota for sale on Craigslist, are you in Ventura County?
I wish I'd known you were selling the camper.

I picked up a 1996 DX Xcab 4x4 a few months back. Not doing a build thread because it would be really boring! So far its got a set of 33x10.5R15 BFG AT's on the stock rims and stock suspension. Planning to do the ball joint spacer lift (already have the parts) and longer shackles in the rear to match.

I guess this thread will get the attention of the most members with T100's, so I'll post it up here: Someone :sombrero: has created a pdf version of the T100 factory service nmanual, and the NCttora club was good enough to host it: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm

Last edited:

BajaRunner

Bandito
Just get a 4Wheel Camper, make a nice roof rack, and throw your 10 gal of gas on the back! ;) Oh and yeah I agree, OBA and a good tire repair kit.

G100

Adventurer
Nice truck... looks very familiar!

Bucket seats = best ever from Toyota. Great choice.

Looks like you've got the Toyota rake/stinkbug effect... is there already an add-a-leaf in the rear?

Looks like 17" Sequoia rims...?

KC,
I am glad you found my thread cause I know I am going to be asking you some questions. I have probably read just about every one of your posts that has to do with your T100, as it is basically the same truck. Wish I had the supercharger.

You definately got a good eye, 100% correct on the 17" rims, and I have been complaining about the stinkbug look since day one, I am pretty sure I don't have an AAL, I could be wrong, but have looked and I don't see anything special back there. I was thinking hopefully just some ball joint spacers would solve that problem and at the same time help me fit some 285s in the front. I saw in one of your posts you put on 1" ball joint spacers not 1.5" what was the reason for that?

I am a little worried about putting on some BJ spacers, I have heard some mixed reviews. I have heard that they can break and it can't be good to have to cut away some of your upper control arm to make them fit.
Anybody have any input on this?

G100

Adventurer
Awesome, we've got 1 more T100 on here, and what looks to be a nice build!

I think I saw your Dakota for sale on Craigslist, are you in Ventura County?
I wish I'd known you were selling the camper.

Someone :sombrero: has created a pdf version of the T100 factory service nmanual, and the NCttora club was good enough to host it: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm

MotoDave,
Yep that was my dakota on craigslist ventura, it took about 3 months but I got exactly what I wanted. Sorry about the camper man, it was on craigslist also, went pretty quick.

Thanks for the FSM link, I have been checking them out on ebay, they're not cheap. I guess this is almost as good, wrong year, but can't imagine too much is different.

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm still working on the PDF for the FSM, adding more detail to the bookmarks to make it more usable. Hopefully I can get him to update the one on the site when I get it done.

Most of the concern I've seen over the ball joint spacers seems to be targeted at some that were sold when the trucks were new that were much larger, around 5" or so. That would definitely be a bad idea. The only real feedback on the 1.5" spacers I've found is that if you use them as well as crank the torsion bars, you're likely to get some rubbing of the front CV boots, and they will split after a while. Solution would be just not to crank the T-bars as much, or install manual hubs to keep the axles from spinning all the time. On my truck the 33x10.5 tires fit with only a minor rub on the mud flaps with the wheels fully turned, so I won't need to get more than the 1.5" lift the spacers provide on their own.

I'm also looking into longer than stock stroke shocks, as all the extended shocks I can find are simply longer to accommodate the lift, but don't allow more travel than the stock shocks.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
...I have been complaining about the stinkbug look since day one, I am pretty sure I don't have an AAL, I could be wrong, but have looked and I don't see anything special back there. I was thinking hopefully just some ball joint spacers would solve that problem and at the same time help me fit some 285s in the front. I saw in one of your posts you put on 1" ball joint spacers not 1.5" what was the reason for that?

The stinkbug doesn't look much more than what I've normally seen. The T100's definitely had a rake, but as soon as that big bed starts getting filled up, it will level out. I can see small difference in the photos with the topper on - weight in the bed will help.

As I recall, the guy I bought the spacers from did some reading and found that Toyota engineers found minimal impact on front end components with a 1" lift vs a 1.5" lift. It's been several years, so my memory on the specifics is fuzzy... But he had the SDORI bj spacers machined down to 1" by Roger Brown of 4Crawler fame. He never got around to installing them so I picked them up for a song.

G100 said:
I am a little worried about putting on some BJ spacers, I have heard some mixed reviews. I have heard that they can break and it can't be good to have to cut away some of your upper control arm to make them fit.
Anybody have any input on this?

I've been running them for 3 or 4 years now with no issues... I had my Toyota Master Tech pal install them when he replaced my upper & lower ball joints. He did have to do a little grinding to make them fit. I just picked up the truck from him today after installing new tires and doing an alignment. I asked him if he was seeing any negative side effects from the spacers and he said not that he could tell. I need a new idler & pittman arm, but he attributes that to the 165K miles on the odo and typical wear & tear, especially since it goes down long dirt trails quite often.

A side FYI - there was a steering linkage recall a few years ago. Any Toyota dealership can run your VIN# and tell you if it was done or not...

Nice Choice of color!!!

And here is my contribution to this thread:

I have a 12 volt fridge that keeps plugged in on the back on long trips and I have had to get a jump start a couple of times in the past few years. This allows me to keep the cooler plugged in all night long without having to worry about it. I bought the isolator 3 years ago and finally had it installed this past January. I like the sure power unit as I don't need to think about if it is turned on or monitor any dummy lights to make sure it is working.

I like the ladder rack you have on yours and have thought about building one for my truck. I wonder if it is possible to make one so a tent can be put up there I will not have time for that this summer as I will be working on my new house that I just bought.

As for the ball joints, I got the Roger Brown 1.5" spacers and added locking hubs from an earlier model Toyota 4x4. I have gone through ball joints every year, but the lifetime warranty from the parts store keeps this from being as much of an issue.

I look forward to seeing more on your build!

Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles