OK Guys - Newb here in need of help

Mike1974

Guys,

I've been looking all over for a forum like this one, and I think I'm in the right place.

I'm in the process of equipping my tractor with a number of 12V accessories, but especially winches. I will be using the tractor for logging, and I also need it to provide me with a AC power for certain tools, etc.

I don't want to run everything directly off the battery - would get quite messy.

I've attached a design, but I don't know what the wiring should look like, or if I need all the components in the design. here is an explanation:

- Main positive running off the battery through a master fuse or breaker
- Power distribution block breaking that down into 8 positive lines
- Fuse box, with each line coming in and going to a specific fuse for the application
- switch panel, which will be located in the tractor cab, for powering the accessories on or off
- 3 accessories "permanently" wired
- 5 outlets that can be plugged into (3in back of tractor, 2 in the front)

The reason the five are plugs is that the winches are mounted to implements that can (and will) often be moved off of and onto the tractor. I also figured this would give me maximum versatility.

The attached design includes the specs on each accessory. Note that I am not sure on amps of the auxiliary winches - I calculated this using the conversion of 1 HP = 746 watts, then dividing by 12 volts. I'm figuring their HP listed is probably the "peak" HP at start-up. The large winches had a CCA and max amperage for largest load included on the spec.

I have looked at a bunch of components at a number of online providers.

I need everything to be outdoor kosher, so I'm looking at heavy duty marine outlets. I'm figuring that for the plugs, I'll use the heaviest duty tractor plugs I can find.

I'm not sure which components I need to ground, though I assumed I would need to run ground lines from each accessory.

Honestly, not sure of what the best wire routing would be, if I need the fuse box if I have the "main" breaker.

I'm figuring something like 4 or 6 gauge run to each accessory (except worklights & 12v accessory outlet)

Also, don't know if it makes sense to have a second battery. The tractor will be running when I use these things, so I'm not too concerned about running the battery out.

How would you guys design this?

How would you run the wiring?

Should I do separate distribution blocks for the winches?

Do I need a separate fuse box from dist block?

Should I have relays in the mix somewhere?

Thanks a ton, in advance, for your help!

Mike

Attachments

• tractor_wiring_12v.gif
    tractor_wiring_12v.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 32

iigs

Observer
I'm not sure which components I need to ground, though I assumed I would need to run ground lines from each accessory.

Yes. Each accessory will need a ground line. It does not (and generally should not) go all the way back to the battery. It can be terminated close to the terminating connector, or directly near the load on permanent items. The two things to keep in mind: it must use wire as large as the non-ground side, and it needs to be connected to a solid ground point (the frame of the vehicle).

Honestly, not sure of what the best wire routing would be, if I need the fuse box if I have the "main" breaker.

Generally yes, you will. Ignoring ground wires, no piece of the circuit should have a connection back to the battery without a fuse rated lower than the maximum rating of the wire. So if you use a 14ga piece of wire you probably need to have it fused at maybe 15 amps.

The big fuse/breaker is for preventing catastrophic failure (fire) if something gets shorted in the fuse panel.

I'm figuring something like 4 or 6 gauge run to each accessory (except worklights & 12v accessory outlet)

Proper conductor sizing is fairly complicated to get right, unless you just err on the high side.

I will say that there are not a lot of panel-type switches out there that can switch a load that requires a 4-6ga cable. You will probably need a relay for those. The circuit gets more involved when you start looking at active components like relays, so take your time and read up on them.

Also, don't know if it makes sense to have a second battery. The tractor will be running when I use these things, so I'm not too concerned about running the battery out.

Wouldn't bother with a second battery unless you'll be drawing more current than the alternator can put out, and a second battery only buys you more time. This can be computed -- batteries have an "amp hour" capacity and recommended minimum level of charge, accessories have an amp draw, you can estimate the amount of time the accessory will be in use.

How would you guys design this?

Start simple, work with the smallest loads first. Note the power requirements of each accessory, learn how to size each component (fuse, switch, wire, relay if required, connectors) for each load as you go.

How would you run the wiring?

Hard to say without seeing the specifics. Get wire/cable suitable for the elements it will be exposed to (oil especially), be thoughtful and thorough in your wire routing but do not try to be clever or lazy.

Should I do separate distribution blocks for the winches?

High current loads like winches are best served by short runs. It's probably easiest to split the distribution.

Do I need a separate fuse box from dist block?

The fuse block and distribution panel can be integrated, but you will generally need a separate fuse for every different circuit.

Should I have relays in the mix somewhere?

This will be dictated by your switch selection and the current draw of your accessories.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles