ICON vehicles

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a video that shows the ICON vehicles, inspired by classic Land Cruiser and Jeep models, in action.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/100000-ICON-FJ-4x4-Thrash_738449.htm

About 2/3 of the way through the video, we learn that the next ICON product will be inspired by a second Jeep model. We'll have to attend SEMA next Fall to find out what it will be. Also, I didn't realize that you can order the FJ models with an International 2.8L 4 cylinder diesel in place of the GM crate motor V8.

Here's the link to the Icon web site http://www.icon4x4.com/

During the video, there is considerable talk about the prices of the ICON vehicles. In the end, however, the previously skeptical commentators agree that if they had the cash, they would be down at the ICON offices putting down a deposit. They're that well made.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I cant' believe Toyota doesn't still make these vehicles for the US market. You would think if private companies could get 100k for one that they would consider bringing them back.

Many of us have fantasized for years about the long wheelbase diesel 70 series Troopcarrier.
Maybe with Toyota's current woes they might get a clue, they could probably sell 5-10000 UZJ79 V8 turbodiesel Troopies in the States. But I'm not holding my breath, I gave up on Toyota USA a long time ago.

Charlie

6Pins

Adventurer
Listen to him again, it's not another Jeep. My money is on a Bronco

-iconic 4x4
-large 4-letter automotive manufacturer
-vehicle in the heart and soul of everyman

Sounds like they are bringing back the original bronco

Bugspray

Adventurer
I can just see the Senate inquiry panel asking Mr. Toyoda why he wants to import filthy diesel SUVs.

davidv

Observer
Not to take over the thread but I am in the market for new rims, and want the ones on the FJ. Can anyone confirm those are American racing Mojaves.

I'm going with the Bronco theory. If so I'm not going to buy one but I'm going to want one real bad.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Many of us have fantasized for years about the long wheelbase diesel 70 series Troopcarrier.
Maybe with Toyota's current woes they might get a clue, they could probably sell 5-10000 UZJ79 V8 turbodiesel Troopies in the States. But I'm not holding my breath, I gave up on Toyota USA a long time ago.

Charlie

This vehicle is $42,000 in Nicaragua as its bare bones model (non turbo 1HZ), leaf sprung rear, regular cab truck. This is why they don't sell it here..

taco2go

Explorer
Looks like the Science Channel's "How It's made" just featured the Icon TLC in their segement on Off Road Vehicles on tonight's episode. :)
Provides a glimpse into how "custom" these vehicles really are.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've been lucky enough to drive several ICON rigs when I worked there, and I can say that I'd love to have one. Sure, most of us could build one ourselves cheaper, but it's the little details & design that make them stand out. They're just COOL. Most ICON owners are millionaires that treat them as just another toy.

The Bronco will be nice. Hopefully better looking than the Jeep model.

RR1

Explorer
The Bronco will be nice. Hopefully better looking than the Jeep model.

I really like the Jeep model, especially the grill, much better than the BBQ grate on the stocker...yeah I know the purest are up in arms about that, but I dig it. Looks meaner and not so doofy.

taco2go said:
Looks like the Science Channel's "How It's made" just featured the Icon TLC in their segement on Off Road Vehicles on tonight's episode.
Provides a glimpse into how "custom" these vehicles really are.

Anywhere online that can viewed? As I do not have cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne