Jean-Seb's 1999 GMC Yukon Build Thread

wrigh003

Looks nice- I'll be watching, as I want one of these for a kid-hauler/tow-vehicle/camper/do-all truck. Miles are a little high for my taste, but unless something's worn out, why replace/fix it? That's a really clean truck to be that age with that many miles- maybe the prior owner took good care of the mechanicals as well as the outside.

A+ for your first welding project, too... :)

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Thank you for the kind words. :D

It is a really useful vehicle, plenty of power for towing, a lot of room to sleep in (I'm 5'10" and slept really well in the back with room to spare).

But mine is starting to show its age, I'll have to get new leaf springs as the ones I have now are sagging really bad. And the brakes need attention too. All things that can easily be fixed fortunately.

Thanks again for your reply !

xx.xii

Observer
A few more pictures with the Aries grille guard...
yukon008.jpg

yukon009.jpg

After removing the hitch receiver and spare tire... (I also deleted the running boards but no pics yet)
yukon003b.jpg

And then my newest project, a custom roof rack. Here's a few pictures of the progress, it's not done yet and unfortunately taking more time than expected...but oh well I don't have any deadline, and I'd rather do it right the first time.
smallPICT0003.jpg

smallPICT0022.jpg

smallPICT0025.jpg

smallPICT0037.jpg

smallPICT0040.jpg

smallPICT0042.jpg

smallPICT0045.jpg

Future plans include;
- Suspension leveling kit
- Manual transmission swap
- Axle upgrade
- 255-85/16 mud tires (BFG KM/KM2s, Toyo OC MTs or TrXus MTs)
- Custom front bumper incorporating the top half of the Aries grille guard
- Custom rear bumper
- Rear ladder
- Skid plates
- Snorkel
- Raised breathers
- Sleeping platform
- Drawers
- etc...

Stay tuned for more, but don't hold your breath though hehe.

nice roof rack! i have a yakima mega warrior basket on my yukon now but now that the fiance is looking to mod her 07 jeep laredo i might just give her my yakima if it fits right so i can make my roof rack extend from 4''-6'' from the rear and front.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
nice roof rack! i have a yakima mega warrior basket on my yukon now but now that the fiance is looking to mod her 07 jeep laredo i might just give her my yakima if it fits right so i can make my roof rack extend from 4''-6'' from the rear and front.

Thank you ! :D You won't regret it. That's why I decided to make mine, the pre-made racks aren't big enough for a full-size truck... oh well in my opinion. :D

Post pics when you do !:sombrero:

Silverado

Adventurer
I wouldn't think twice about using your existing motor.....usually the vortec motors only have issues with the intake gaskets leaking coolant and the spider injection assembly/regulators going bad. If the truck was sold new at the same dealer you bought it from.....it was most likely serviced there. You can have that GM dealer run a vin history of the truck to see what was done to it at the dealer, whether it be recalls or warrantee work.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I wouldn't think twice about using your existing motor.....usually the vortec motors only have issues with the intake gaskets leaking coolant and the spider injection assembly/regulators going bad. If the truck was sold new at the same dealer you bought it from.....it was most likely serviced there. You can have that GM dealer run a vin history of the truck to see what was done to it at the dealer, whether it be recalls or warrantee work.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. It's always good to know about those possible issues, I'm a newbie when it comes to Chevy V8s. :D

And I'll have them run the VIN, I don't like the mystery that surrounds the past of that truck, thanks for the idea. :)

uberhahn

Observer
Roof rack attachment

How did you attach the rack to the roof? It looks like you attached it directly to the factory side rails, right?

Of what I've read, the max stock capacity of that rack is 200lbs. I don't know if this is purely due to the stock flimsy cross-bars, or the way the rack is bolted to the roof reinforcements only in a few places.

Most often, heavy racks are attached via gutter mounts and aftermarket cross-bars (like Yakima, or Thule).

I think the rack you built looks great, and functional. Just be aware of its weight, and the potentially limited load carrying capacity.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Hi,

Yes I did attach it to the stock roof bars, it was not what I wanted to do at first, and it will be corrected soon. I tried to take the factory rack off last winter but ran into problems because of the threaded inserts that are crimped on the roof skin...and I really didn't feel like taking the headliner out in the middle of winter. hehe

But anyway, it will be modified this fall and should be able to carry many times its weight. Thanks for your input. :snorkel:

Silverado

Adventurer
I believe the factory uses a riv-nut insert in the oem roof rack which should be sturdy enough to support the rack if you get creative with the mounting

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I believe the factory uses a riv-nut insert in the oem roof rack which should be sturdy enough to support the rack if you get creative with the mounting

I believe they do too. :D But that's the problem, I tried to take it off but rust, being my best friend lol, made sure that bolts couldn't be removed. The inserts came loose and the rack is still on the truck. So I have to take the headliner out, which will be very fun... (said with sarcasm hehe).

But it's only a matter of time before I decide to start over and fix my mistakes. :wings:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
So I thought to myself, if I don't go camping and off-roading until my truck is ready, I'll never go...haha so I went. :sombrero:

smallScanImage001.jpg

smallScanImage003.jpg

smallScanImage004.jpg

smallScanImage006.jpg

I am still saying that this is some real nice pics and simple upgrades to your rig!:victory:
smallScanImage009.jpg

A little bit of off-roading in Hunter Valley.
smallScanImage010.jpg

smallScanImage011.jpg

It was fun for a first official camping trip and I learned a lot. :D I hope you enjoy the pics. :wavey:
What can I say? Nice pics and a real nice rig!:victory:

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
What can I say? Nice pics and a real nice rig!:victory:

Thanks !

Unfortunately the truck is on the back burner for now. I did get new tires for the rear; the exact same 245/75R16 General Grabbers.

I'll be taking the roof rack off soon as the truck will be reassigned with towing duties for the summer. But keep watching, I'm not giving up on it !

i can help with the manual transmission swap, i did it myself in my hoe, so ask any questions you might have, id love to chip in on another tahoe/yukon 5 speed swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94