Jean-Seb's 1999 GMC Yukon Build Thread

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Hello, after a few months of being a member of the Expedition Portal, I decided to start a build thread for my GMC Yukon. I didn't want to at first, being that it is nearly stock, but I figured you will understand and bear with me. ;)

It is a long-term project but I will update this thread whenever I can. Also I am very proud to say that I do all my own work. :coffeedrink:

So here are the basic details;

1999 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 4-door
- 5.7 Vortec V8
- 4-speed auto 4L60E
- NVG246 transfer case w/ electric shift
- 8.5" front open diff w/ IFS 3.73
- 8.5" 10-bolt rear axle with limited slip (G80) 3.73
- 245/75-16 General Grabber AT2 tires

It currently has 449,000kms on the odometer. I don't know much of its history, besides that it was originally sold at the same dealer I bought it from. I replaced a few parts since I bought it, including the radiator and the shocks. Also most interior lights are now LEDs.

The day I bought it...
PICT0002.jpg

PICT0004b.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Some pictures I took the next day... (pardon the crappy camera...)
PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

Next; current pictures with modifications.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
A few more pictures with the Aries grille guard...
yukon008.jpg

yukon009.jpg

After removing the hitch receiver and spare tire... (I also deleted the running boards but no pics yet)
yukon003b.jpg

And then my newest project, a custom roof rack. Here's a few pictures of the progress, it's not done yet and unfortunately taking more time than expected...but oh well I don't have any deadline, and I'd rather do it right the first time.
smallPICT0003.jpg

smallPICT0022.jpg

smallPICT0025.jpg

smallPICT0037.jpg

smallPICT0040.jpg

smallPICT0042.jpg

smallPICT0045.jpg

Future plans include;
- Suspension leveling kit
- Manual transmission swap
- Axle upgrade
- 255-85/16 mud tires (BFG KM/KM2s, Toyo OC MTs or TrXus MTs)
- Custom front bumper incorporating the top half of the Aries grille guard
- Custom rear bumper
- Rear ladder
- Skid plates
- Snorkel
- Raised breathers
- Sleeping platform
- Drawers
- etc...

Stay tuned for more, but don't hold your breath though hehe.

Rot Box

Explorer
Looks like a great start! I really like your roof rack--cant wait to see it installed.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for axle upgrades, but you could find a rear Semi Float Corp. 14bolt out of a similar year light duty 3/4ton. You would gain a lot of strength, it virtually bolts right in and you keep your existing lug pattern.

keep us posted :coffeedrink:

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I'm not sure what you have in mind for axle upgrades, but you could find a rear Semi Float Corp. 14bolt out of a similar year light duty 3/4ton. You would gain a lot of strength, it virtually bolts right in and you keep your existing lug pattern.

Thanks for the comments guys ! :sombrero:

As for the axle upgrade, I was thinking about the EXACT same one you mentioned. :victory: It seems to be a logical choice.

I'm really proud of my roof rack so far, it is essentially my first major welding project, so I really appreciate the kind words. :D

93BLAZER

Explorer
It is a long-term project but I will update this thread whenever I can. Also I am very proud to say that I do all my own work. :coffeedrink:

So here are the basic details;

1999 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 4-door
- 5.7 Vortec V8
- 4-speed auto 4L60E
- NVG246 transfer case w/ electric shift
- 8.5" front open diff w/ IFS 3.73
- 8.5" 10-bolt rear axle with limited slip (G80) 3.73
- 245/75-16 General Grabber AT2 tires

It currently has 449,000kms on the odometer. I don't know much of its history, besides that it was originally sold at the same dealer I bought it from. I replaced a few parts since I bought it, including the radiator and the shocks. Also most interior lights are now LEDs.

Looks great. I like your plans. But let me say a few things.

What kind of "exploring" are you gonna be doing up there?

Id be concerned with the high mileage engine with the unknown history. I'd put some money into that first. Ive seen crate engines around 2000-2500. I originally had a 93 Blazer/Tahoe with 292,000 before my blazer burnt to the ground. I hated the worry and having to "baby" the rig because of the high mileage.

Again, what kind of "exploring" are you gonna be doing up there? Are you gonna be rock crawling? If so, I'd consider a solid axle swap and upgrade to one ton axles.

If you are doing anything less, Id leave the axles alone. I doubt you are gonna be breaking anything just tooting around on dirt roads or in the snow.

What kind of suspension leveling kit are you thinking of? and why?
Again, what kind of use will this rig see?

I'd have a plan for the engine, maybe rebuild the rear end.

Is it the original t-case? I think its the NP241 What about tranny?

If they are original, Id consider replacing them.

I like the bumper idea. Im a big fan of big 'o winch bumpers.

I'm also a big fan of BFG mt's. But why 255's? Wouldn't you rather go up to at least a 275/75/16? I think you might even be able to fit 285's in there without rubbing or having to cut anything.

Just my 2 cents. I've been up 30 hours, im tired. im going to bed.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Looks like a great start. I love my Tahoe for a camping/family rig.
Glad to hear. I went on a road trip a few weeks ago and it almost felt like a bedroom, with all that interior room. ;)

Looks great. I like your plans. But let me say a few things.
Thank you !

Id be concerned with the high mileage engine with the unknown history. I'd put some money into that first. Ive seen crate engines around 2000-2500. I originally had a 93 Blazer/Tahoe with 292,000 before my blazer burnt to the ground. I hated the worry and having to "baby" the rig because of the high mileage.
I'm not really concerned and I baby all my vehicles anyway hehe. And my wallet is against dropping that much money into this truck, although I might someday grab a used 350 and rebuild it myself, saving a lot of money in the process. And the Vortec produces enough power for my taste, no need for performance upgrades.

Again, what kind of "exploring" are you gonna be doing up there? Are you gonna be rock crawling? If so, I'd consider a solid axle swap and upgrade to one ton axles. If you are doing anything less, Id leave the axles alone.
Well I'll be doing anything but rockcrawling. ;) So gravel roads, trails, mud, water crossing, general off-roading I guess.

Do you know what the weakest link in the 10-bolt axles/diffs is ? Can it be upgraded ?

What kind of suspension leveling kit are you thinking of? and why?
First I'll be replacing the leaf springs because they are sagging bad. Once this is done I'll see if I need to install add-a-leaves or not (no blocks). Then I'll probably change the torsion bar keys. And it's mostly because I wanna clear the 255/85-16s. If I need to, I'll trim the fenders.

Is it the original t-case? I think its the NP241 What about tranny?
I don't know what is original or not, unfortunately. :( I do have the NP8 option on the truck, which is the NP246, available from 98 onward. ;) Also I might just rebuild the NP246, again a cheaper alternative for me(and I like doing that kind of work myself ;)).

I'm also a big fan of BFG mt's. But why 255's? Wouldn't you rather go up to at least a 275/75/16? I think you might even be able to fit 285's in there without rubbing or having to cut anything.
Well I thought about using 265s or 285s, but the 265s are not tall enough and the 285s are too wide to be mounted on my 16x7" stock wheels. The 255/85s are slightly taller than the 285/75s and not as wide, so they might be better in the snow and will fit on my wheels easily, a good compromise in my opinion.

Anyway, they're my thoughts. :) By the way, I appreciate your comments and suggestions, it really helps.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
It's a big update this time. So the roof rack project is completed !

First, a few pictures of the last leg of the build.

Found this technique just in time for the last piece. (Thanks go to Backwoods Rambler in the Homemade Roofracks threads)
smallPICT0072.jpg

How the arch fits around the lights (cheapo 55w lights, might be upgraded later).
smallPICT0079.jpg

smallPICT0081.jpg

Finished and primed.
smallPICT0083.jpg

A few little additions... the little hook is for attaching a tarp to the side of the truck like an awning. I really can't justify the price of a real awning.
smallPICT0088.jpg

Finished and actually painted...
smallPICT0101.jpg

And on the truck ! (notice the threaded rod for the spare tire and yes it's raining...)
smallPICT0102.jpg

smallPICT0105.jpg

smallPICT0107.jpg

smallPICT0108.jpg

I'm so relieved that it's completed, now I can move on to other things.

Thanks again for watching.

nice rack! i like the idea of the hooks for attaching a tarp. in the future i will definelty steal your idea for a cheap awning! i'll be watching.

1leg

Explorer
Well I just did all the research on 350 Chevy’s. By the time I bought a core block. And figured worst case I would need everything machined, all new internal parts. Complete cylinder head builds(wow, you can buy new ones cheaper). I couldn't beat the price of a new replacement motor from Summit racing 2100.00(US) plus 160.00 shipping. Not sure what they charge for shipping to Canada.
And yes that’s me doing all the assembly, just farming the machine work out.

Good luck on the build, and sweet rack.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Well I just did all the research on 350 Chevy’s. By the time I bought a core block. And figured worst case I would need everything machined, all new internal parts. Complete cylinder head builds(wow, you can buy new ones cheaper). I couldn't beat the price of a new replacement motor from Summit racing 2100.00(US) plus 160.00 shipping. Not sure what they charge for shipping to Canada.
And yes that’s me doing all the assembly, just farming the machine work out.

Good luck on the build, and sweet rack.

Thanks for your post and compliments Jerry !

I had a look at Summit's engine offerings right after I read your thread, and they have some really decent choices. Although, I can't justify buying a new engine right now, as the current one is doing great. It does not burn or leak any oil and has plenty of power. But I'll definitely keep that in mind. ;)

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
So I thought to myself, if I don't go camping and off-roading until my truck is ready, I'll never go...haha so I went. :sombrero:

smallScanImage001.jpg

smallScanImage003.jpg

smallScanImage004.jpg

smallScanImage006.jpg

smallScanImage009.jpg

A little bit of off-roading in Hunter Valley.
smallScanImage010.jpg

smallScanImage011.jpg

It was fun for a first official camping trip and I learned a lot. :D I hope you enjoy the pics. :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles