Jean-Seb's 1999 GMC Yukon Build Thread

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Thanks for your interest, but no. :(

If everything goes according to plan, it should be sold in the next two weeks, and I won't be replacing it with another 4x4.

John Willis

Observer
How did you attach the rack to the roof? It looks like you attached it directly to the factory side rails, right?

Of what I've read, the max stock capacity of that rack is 200lbs. I don't know if this is purely due to the stock flimsy cross-bars, or the way the rack is bolted to the roof reinforcements only in a few places.

Most often, heavy racks are attached via gutter mounts and aftermarket cross-bars (like Yakima, or Thule).

I think the rack you built looks great, and functional. Just be aware of its weight, and the potentially limited load carrying capacity.

I run the longest yakima cross bars on the stock long rails. I got the longer poles so I can carry log items on the outside if needed. Then attached my gypsy rack with u-bolts around the cross bars. The u-bolts come from the bottom up. I carry 25 gallons of fuel and a full size 33x12.50 spare up there always. Plus more gear. I have had it on for 6 years and ran it at speed in the dessert thru rough section many times with out any issues.

SDC15189.jpg

SDC15173.jpg

SDC15175.jpg

SDC15089.jpg

SDC15172.jpg

noJeepshere

Adventurer
That little hook for the tarp is brilliant! I've got to keep that in mind for mine. You have a pretty clean truck for that many miles (klicks, whichever you prefer) on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior