Nikson's '01 XJ Build

winkosmosis

Explorer
meh, treat it like you would the K&N filter...it's personal opinion. I had a K&N in my other jeep and never noticed a difference so my adventure Jeep has the regular one since they say it filters dust better anyways.
K&N isn't opinion. They filter worse than paper filters.

Nikson

Explorer
Rear Bumper...

as everything else in life... builds never stop... :)

So the build continues on to the rear bumper...

I've configured it to be similar to the front, so this way XJ looks very neat in its appearance. Bumper is configured to use winch on its receiver, as well as consideration for the rear tire carrier setup (that is yet to be done).

LETS CUT 'ER...

P1130804.JPG

SIDE VIEW

P1130808.JPG

PRE-WELDS / PRE-CUTS

P1130813.JPG

MOUNTS (from left overs of the beam)

P1130814.JPG

HITCH SETUP

P1130837.JPG

P1130839.JPG

Something like this...

P1130802.JPG

Nikson

Explorer
Rear Quarter TRIMS

Had to get rid of some extra's on the bottom of the quarter.

After putting on the bumper, bottom pieces just didnt fit right as they were.

Cutting them on sides and folding inside (as some have done)... wasn't my ideal plan. Had a buddy custom fab / laZer cut out of some 12ga. metal. Came out just as good as I've hoped.

With spring rolling around, will finish them up with welding some plates on the front/rear sides to finish the look of it...

Pictures worth 1000 words... as they say... so I think you'll get a basic idea on this mod.

LOVE TO TRIM... :)

P1130876.JPG

P1130875.JPG

WARNING: METAL CUTTER / BENDER in use... :)

P1140102.JPG

FINISHED PRODUCT

P1140103.JPG

Removing Extras...

P1140106.JPG

IDEA WE WERE GOING AFTER...

P1140107.JPG

SET IN PLACE

P1140118.JPG

Nikson

Explorer
2nd (REAR) battery

With WARN been considered as a hitch receiver type, power needed to be ran into the rear part of vehicle.

Ran positive from the switch under the hood and connected it to the one in the rear. Not sure how / why / what / when... as far as all the "breakers" & monitors that others install.

I understand that my setup might be done in a very simple and not-very-thought-through way, but it works. I dont consider myself an expert electrician by any means, but believe to have common sense on most of things that I install. Feel free to ask questions...

As of now (almost 12mo. later), everything works and both batteries seem to operate just fine, keeping the winch running as well as other electrical things in the XJ. I have a LED flashlight that is connected into a cigarette plug which is connected directly to the rear battery.

Winch runs great both front / back, without any issues with electrical or charging system.

As always, pictures... :)

P1140119.JPG

Rear Winch plug...

P1140120.JPG

Just a quick "trim" and all done. Will have a panel made at a later time to cover it all up.

P1140121.JPG

BATTERY SWITCH...

Find it very simple and easy to use... in case anything goes wrong, the breaker will turn off connection between batteries...

On previous trips, disconnected the batteries, and RAN everything off the rear battery - all 3 plugs on the connections were taken up by charging batteries on cellphones, laptop, DSLR, video, flashlights... Battery never went dead. In the morning, I would just start up the engine, turn on the breaker, and keep driving... next night would be same "charging" process of all accessories...

P1130890.JPG

Nikson

Explorer
Hid install

with time going by, IPF lights didnt seem to do the job I was hoping to get out of the headlights. Now days everyone seem to be taking the HID route, at times a bit extreme with (8500k + bulbs)... and not properly configured headlight units.

from what i've been told, the VISION-X aluminum housing headlamp units are perfect candidates for such job. Cool a lot faster then others (aluminum), and glass is clean with reflector having the design of light dispersion rather then the glass itself.

Here are the install pictures...

KIT COMPONENTS (DDM TUNNING)

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20147.JPG

HEADLAMP UNITS

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20150.JPG

OLD IPF UNITS

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20153.JPG

Drilled about 1 1/2 hole to run wires from headlamp to the ballasts (under hood)

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20159.JPG

THE SETUP

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20169.JPG

FINAL STAGE :) :) :) :ylsmoke:

02-06-2010%20Warm%20Spring%20Warming%20House%20PANA%20165.JPG

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Those receiver type winch carrier thingamabobbers are pretty neat, its nice to have that warm fuzzy feeling that you can winch yourself out backwards if needed.

Nikson

Explorer
Those receiver type winch carrier thingamabobbers are pretty neat, its nice to have that warm fuzzy feeling that you can winch yourself out backwards if needed.

It tends to be a bit heavy, but I think its actually well worth it.

Honestly, I always hated that "carrier" look, but after winching myself out few times from the rear, I just "love" it now... :)

Nikson

Explorer
I like the rear lower quarter panel pieces! Nice to have that shop and tools!

I'll consider mass production on that stuff... :)

They are pretty hard core, being that is isnt a thin metal... I would think they'll stand up to some "rock" beating... :)

Travelmore

Adventurer
Can we see a shot of the bumper with the hoops and lights on it? Also what make and model breaker/relay did you use for the dual battery?

Nikson

Explorer
I'll get the pictures made of the stuff as soon as I can...

As far as what brand it is, I am not sure, but I've seen others use it here on other rigs... :)

Nikson

Explorer
Bumper update

Here is a little update on some gusset work & extra support on bumpers...

I guess I might be overkilling it, but I dont think extra "security" hurts...

P1000638.JPG

FRONT HITCH support on clip

P1000635.JPG

P1000637.JPG

UPPER VIEW of the REAR bumper...

P1000639.JPG

P1000640.JPG

P1000641.JPG

Second battery hook-up & flashlight charge station...

P1000642.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles