Inverter + wire length = what size wire?

Jay2mann

I have a 1000 watt inverter I want to install either under the seat or In the center console of my suburban, what size wire should I use? Is there a length/gauge formula?

Last edited:

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
I have a 1000 watt inverter I want to install either under the seat or In the center console of my suburban, what size wire should I use? Is there a length/gauge formula?

The manufacturer of your inverter should be able to provide you with specifics for your unit - they probably have a website or customer service number to get that information.

My experience with higher power inverters (1000-4000 watt) is the power / ground wires should be no longer than 6 feet long, and preferably 3 feet or less. You should use the largest gauge that will fit the connectors on the inverter - likely 4 gauge cable, or 2 gauge if you run a longer cable. Additionally, most inverter manufacturers recommend multiple batteries to support the load required by the inverter - otherwise, you can expect reduced performance from the unit.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer

VOTLAGE DROP =
[cable length (in metres) X current (in amps) X 0.017] divided by cable cross-section in mm.sq.

Plan for a voltage drop of less than 0.5V at maximum load.
You must add the +ve cable length and the -ve length together.

Cheers,
Peter

762X39

Explorer
I installed a 1kw inverter in my work truck 3 years ago and regularly use it with loads approaching 800 watts for short periods of time. The manufacturer specified #4 welding cable whose length shouldn't exceed 5 feet and a 150 amp fuse for protection.I had to mount the unit a little farther away so I increased the wire size to 2/0 welding cable.This limited my voltage drop to within spec and the unit works fine.The wire, fuse and holder cost more than the inverter which is a Xantrex unit I purchased on sale.:)
Oh, and I only run the inverter when the engine is running because a 100 amp draw out of the battery would kill it in no time flat.:coffee:

Last edited:

Jay2mann

I should have signed up years ago, you people know your stuff. I need to go estimate wire length, I at least need to get it inside the cab...Thanks

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
The manufacturer of your inverter should be able to provide you with specifics for your unit - they probably have a website or customer service number to get that information.

My experience with higher power inverters (1000-4000 watt) is the power / ground wires should be no longer than 6 feet long, and preferably 3 feet or less. You should use the largest gauge that will fit the connectors on the inverter - likely 4 gauge cable, or 2 gauge if you run a longer cable. Additionally, most inverter manufacturers recommend multiple batteries to support the load required by the inverter - otherwise, you can expect reduced performance from the unit.

The shorter the better, and the bigger the better.

In particular, page 6 of this: http://www.marinco.com/files/media/guides/ANCOR Features_tech data.pdf

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Is it absolutely necessary to have the inverter inside the cab? DC power requires some heavy cable to carry the amperage, but if you mount the inverter in the engine compartment near the battery and use run an extension cord on the output, you can get away with much smaller wires. Going from 12V to 120V cuts your current by 10 fold. Just an idea.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Here is a simple calculator I use for doing VD on site lighting. The red is user entry fields, blue is calculated. VA is your load, the rest is self explanatory. Just put in single run length, the formula already calcs the return run. I forget what percentage I shot for on my truck but I think it was around 1%. There is an online VD calculator too somewhere. If the MFG is saying a certain footage of a certain gauge wire, just reverse engineer what their VD specs are using a 8.3A(1000W @ 120V) load and go from there.

Attachments

• Voltage Drop Calcs - New.xls
    18 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Jay2mann

I dont think the high underhood temps are going to do it any good, Its a Aims power pure sin wave inverter 1000watts output, The previous owner had it inside a commercial truck and now that I think about it it wasnt far from the outside battery box. Looking at the web site it says over 10 feet use 1/0 wire that is $10 per foot. its 12" x 16" x 6" tall.

Jay2mann

reading on... it says 131 max operating temperature, If the ambient temp here is 100, under the hood it not going to do much good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles