The SAR Dog flunkie needs a replacement/buddie

alosix

Expedition Leader
DSC_0609.jpg

So, after a good 4 months of SAR dog training we've basically figured out that Kira (the pup in the pic) just doesn't care about 'people' enough to go find someone. She'd much rather just run about in a field than do any of the exercises.

On the plus side, she's like 200x better in obedience than she used to be and is overall a better dog because of it.

But, she needs a buddy and I need to find a replacement to continue with the dog training.

So, looking for some breed suggestions. Due to apt living I need to stay away from purebred GSDs (which would be my first choice).

What are you guys using? (and FWIW, the local CARDA group is keeping an eye out as well).

Thanks
Jason

92se-r

Belgian Malinois. The work drive on them is unmatched by any other breed IMO. Border Collies have nothing on them.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I need to stay away from 'gaurd dog' dogs because of the silly apt rules. So, unfortunately the Malinois is out as well.

I've been looking @ Golden and Flat Coated Retrievers.

So far, this group of flat coats look very promising:

http://www.flywayfarm.com/jetxlayla.html

Should have a litter coming up in the summer.

Does anyone know any Flat Coat SAR dogs? I know there has been one or 2 in the area.

Thanks
Jason

ol' scott

Adventurer
Giant Schnauzers might be a good fit for you. Our six month old girl Maddie is doing really well. Every one I've known has been friendly and rugged with a lot of drive. We live in an apartment too, people see the word Schnauzer and think small dog.

DSCN3939.jpg

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
A friend of mine in California has/had Bernese Mountain Dogs for SAR...

But, it's not the breed so much as the temperament of the dog.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Ah, I'd love a Berner. First one I ever saw was sitting majestically at the top of a hill all by himself on a farm..

I do worry that they wouldn't like the heat of gilroy or the high sierra's in the summer time. I know Kira (the pup in the pic) is useless in the heat. All she wants to do is find a tree and lay in the shade. Not that I blame her.

Jason

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
If you'd consider a smaller dog, the English Springer Spaniels (ESS) are very smart, obedient, long-lived, and have excellent drive and demeanor. They top out at around 45lbs and are made for field duty and small spaces. I used to use mine for flushing/hunting and she still minds better than almost any other dog I know.

Gratuitous puppy pic... She's much bigger now... :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• DSCN0193.JPG
    DSCN0193.JPG
    928.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Dunno if it is an option, but I would consider moving if it means getting a GSD or a Malinois to do the SAR work for you. The breeds have lots to offer. Stupid, stupid people who ban dogs "just because". I hate nannyism no matter where it shows up.

In due seriousness though, have you thought about a Bouvier des Flandres? They look like a poodle but have the drive and dedication of a GSD. I saw one work at a K9 seminar years ago. We teased the handler about his "poodle" but the laughing stopped on our behalf when the dog went to work. He was quite impressive.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
A good friend of mine is a SAR / Working dog trainer...she prefers malinois'.

As far as banning certain breeds, get a certificate from the vet saying it's a mix.... I had to do this for my last dog (which looked like a pure-bred GSD). Since he was a rescue, there was no way of telling for sure.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I am going to through something out you can all either laugh at or what ever. Toy Australian Shepherd. extremely smart and obedient as well as very fast learning capabilities. My male is 14 in tall and a real go getter. the only problem is the breed suffered alot from a breeder in oregon. fairly easy to tell her dog line from others though. If is looks identical to a full aussie (non fluff) your good to go. wide eyes or front rear height difference is a no go. My dog is amazing on trails (scent or blood). voice commands as well as my grandfathers grand champion cattle dog (border collie)

alosix

Expedition Leader
Dunno if it is an option, but I would consider moving if it means getting a GSD or a Malinois to do the SAR work for you. The breeds have lots to offer. Stupid, stupid people who ban dogs "just because". I hate nannyism no matter where it shows up.

In due seriousness though, have you thought about a Bouvier des Flandres? They look like a poodle but have the drive and dedication of a GSD. I saw one work at a K9 seminar years ago. We teased the handler about his "poodle" but the laughing stopped on our behalf when the dog went to work. He was quite impressive.

It absolutely drives me nuts that there are breed specific rules around most of the apartments around here. I nearly didn't take this job because I was having a hard time finding a place I could live for a while with a GSD mix. I finally found one, they said on the phone (3200 miles away) that GSDs are fine. One guy asked if I could leave my dog with friends. ... Yeah.. I'm moving across the country leaving all of my friends and family behind and I'm going to leave my dog too? Yeah.. no thanks...

I fill out the paperwork, GSD on there for the dog. A few months later they update their 'dog rules' and GSDs are on the 'can't have list'.

My gut says its more their insurance carrier than them, but who knows. I do know that an untrained GSD in the wrong person's hands is an accident waiting to happen. There are 2 guys in our obedience classes that can barely control theirs. They are such a smart strong dog that I don't see much middle ground with them. They are either really good, or a real problem.

Stupid lazy people need stupid lazy dogs I think :)

We will be moving when the lease is up (Oct i think) and trying to find a house to rent, but its still tough trying to find someone that will take a dog.

And the more I talk to the breeder about this batch of flat coats... the more I want to see how one might work..

Our team is quite the mix of dogs.
1 older GSD
1 czech shepherd (really good calm dog)
1 aussie shepherd
2 boxers (watching a boxer do area search is interesting)
2 Golden Rets
1 Yellow lab
2-3 blood hounds.
2 younger male GSDs

alosix

Expedition Leader
Aussie is on my 'short list' BTW.. I just need to convince the GF to have an aussie around. She's got some unknown hatred of them :)

The dog needs to be a good pet to and pretty close to the 80lb size the current girl is.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles