Lets talk chili...

91runner

Observer
Anyone got any recipes? My wife has been craving it and I've never made chili from scratch but it does sound good to me. It can't be to spicy or the new baby might get upset, there a special seasoning pack you use or do you make it from scratch?

It's darn good, but you'll have to order it from the source. Unless you can find it in a Cabela's store. The product is in some Cabela's. If you go to this page http://yetyet.com/index.html that's my thumb holding the chip. I speak from personal experience about the product. The guy who developed these products is a Brooks Institute graduate, an excellent commercial photographer and a darn fine cook.

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
A good starting place for a novice is a Wick Fowler spice mix. The spices come in separate cello bags, so you can omit the hot pepper to keep it mild. It is widely available. The usual version is 2 Alarm, but they also sell a False Alarm version.

WF is close to a Texas style competition chili, where most of the flavor and color comes from a generous amount of mild ground chile pepper (ancho, New Mexico). Tomato sauce is optional, and beans are served separately.

However there are a wide variety of styles. For some chili is any ground meat stew with beans and tomato, with a minimum of chile pepper. Cincinnati style has distinct Middle East (Greek touch) with added cinnamon and other spices - and served over spaghetti. Yet others turn it into a vegetable stew with corn, beans, bell peppers, and who knows what else. :)

There are a number of good recipes at the web site for the International Chili Society, including past winners of competitions.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Quick easy chili;
1# lean ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes, including juice
1 Big can of red kidney beans, drained
1 medium onion diced
1 small can diced chili's (optional)
chili powder to taste(I mix my own from different powdered chilies i get from the ethnic isle.)
Salt and pepper.

Brown ground beef in a big pot (you can start with frozen meat in a pinch), remove meat and saute onions until clear, add beef back to pot, add remaining ingredients. Add beef broth or water if it needs it. I make mine pretty mild and spice it up with hot sauce when served to suit different taste.

It's not the best chili, I lost the 2009 Wentworth Springs chili cook off.

However it is fast and easy and you can whip up a batch at the last minute. It's also a starting place to build your own recipe.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
This is the basic recipe I use:

1/8 Lb. suet finely chopped
3 Lbs. round or chuck steak well trimmed and coarsely cubed
6 Tbls chili powder
1 Tbls ground oregano
1 Tbls crushed cumin seed
1 Tbls salt
1/2 to 1 Tbls cayenne
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large chopped onion if desired
1 Tbls Hot sauce, optional
1 1/2 quarts water or beef stock
1 bottle beer
1/2 cup white cornmeal or 3 Tbls masa harina
In Dutch Oven, fry suet until crisp; add steak cubes and brown. Add seasonings and liquid, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hrs. Take out some of the liquid and stir in cornmeal to make a paste. Add cornmeal paste, stir and simmer, uncovered for 30 mins. Stir occasionally.
Serve with pinto beans and cornbread.

I subscribe to the no beans, no tomatoes, school of chili making. If you want beans, cook them separately.

Seasoning and ingredients will be adjusted by how I feel at the time, what I have on hand, or who I am cooking it for.

I serve it by taking a big bowl, putting in some beans, crumbling up the cornbread and top with the chili.

Wash down with favourite beverage.

It is better the second or third day.

paulj

Expedition Leader
This is the basic recipe I use:

6 Tbls chili powder
1 Tbls ground oregano
1 Tbls crushed cumin seed
1 Tbls salt
Depending on the brand, 'chili powder' may already have cumin, oregano and salt added. You can, though, start with whole dried chiles or pure ground chiles. Purists might specify 'mexican oregano', which is different from the usual Italian herb. I just rub the dried herb between my fingers.

I'm not sure about using cornmeal as a thickener. Masa harina is finer, and works well in a slurry.

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Depending on the brand, 'chili powder' may already have cumin, oregano and salt added. You can, though, start with whole dried chiles or pure ground chiles. Purists might specify 'mexican oregano', which is different from the usual Italian herb. I just rub the dried herb between my fingers.

I'm not sure about using cornmeal as a thicken. Masa harina is finer, and works well in a slurry.

I don't disagree with what you say. The recipe is just basic and allows for changes in ingredients or tastes. Depends on what is on hand. When I was cooking in Germany, some items we consider common were not available. Finding jalapenos proved to be an adventure.
Cornmeal will be griitier than masa and may take a bit more. A quick turn in the blender will make it more flour like.

telwyn

Adventurer
Here's my chili - I never measure which is why I cook but don't bake. This is a good one if I don't say so myself. :drool:

• Ground black angus chuck
  • Sweet yellow onion
  • whole garlic gloves - chopped a tiny bit, but leave it bulky
  • kidney beans
  • canned diced tomato
  • pinch of cinnamon. nutmeg and salt
  • lots of smoked paprika
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • your favorite hot spice - cayenne, red pepper, etc to taste
  • 2 spoonfuls of grape jelly
  • 1 spoonful of nestle quick chocolate powder
  • cup of red wine
  • beef broth

Brown the onions and chuck first, add everything to the pot, simmer long enough for the garlic to get soft and lose it's pungency a bit. Add more broth, more chuck, more beans or less to suit your taste.

I know the chocolate and grape jelly sound odd, but I got that idea from a guy who owns a winebar in Atlanta and this is how he does his homemade chili. It gives it a nice, subtle taste.

Enjoy!

6Pins

Adventurer
I forgot to mention in what I sent you that since it's not spicy, I have a bunch of condiments on hand. One of my favorites is Chipotle's in abodo puree

7 to 10 medium-sized dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and slit lengthwise
1/3 of an onion, sliced
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Salt

stick it all in a pot, simmer for about 2-3 hours until its down to about 1 cup, then pour into a blender an puree.

add to chili to taste.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention in what I sent you that since it's not spicy, I have a bunch of condiments on hand. One of my favorites is Chipotle's in abodo puree.

How does this home made version compare with the canned chipotles in adobo? Often it is easier to find small cans of chipotles than the dried ones. The canned ones keep well in the fridge, or can be frozen in smaller units. Depending on your tolerance for heat, a small spoon of the adobo part is more than enough.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a few different chili recipes I use - this one taken from Cooks Illustrated is my current favorite. This chili has a rich meaty flavor with a nice smokey background from the bacon. It's got a nice spice to it, but it isn't blazing hot. It's a bit complicated to make on the trail, but I have made it ahead of time to reheat in camp. Like many chilis it's often better after it sits for a day or two and then reheated.

Take the time to roast the dried chiles for 5-6 minutes in a 350 degree oven to bring out the flavor. Then remove the stems and seeds and cut or tear the chiles into pieces. Process them in a spice grinder until powdery (I use a coffee grinder I have dedicated as a spice grinder).

3 dried Ancho chile pods (about 1/2 ounce), toasted and ground
3 dried New Mexico chili pods (about 3/4 ounce), toasted and ground
2 T cumin seeds , toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, and ground
2 t dried oregano
7 1/2 cups water, divided
1 beef chuck roast (4-pounds), trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 t table salt , plus extra for seasoning
8 oz bacon (7 or 8 slices), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium onion , minced (about 1 cup)
5 medium cloves garlic , minced
4-5 small jalapeño chiles , cored, seeded, and minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned), or plain tomato sauce
2 T lime juice from 1 medium lime
5 T masa harina or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Ground black pepper

Mix chili powders, cumin, and oregano in small bowl and stir in 1/2 cup water to form thick paste; set aside. Toss beef cubes with salt; set aside.

Fry bacon in large, heavy soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate; pour all but 2 teaspoons fat from pot into small bowl; set aside.

Increase heat to medium-high; brown meat in batches until well-browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, adding additional bacon fat to pot as necessary.

Reduce heat to medium, add 3 tablespoons bacon fat to now-empty pan. Add onion; sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste; sauté until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add reserved bacon and browned beef, crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lime juice, and 7 cups water; bring to simmer. Continue to cook at a steady simmer until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.

Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water (or cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water) in a small bowl to form smooth paste. Increase heat to medium; stir in paste and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning generously with salt and ground black pepper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke