Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Frontier/ new flippac weight issues?

Default 2005 Frontier/ new flippac weight issues?

Just got my flip pac installed at FRP yesterday. Awesome shell, incredible storage/ flexibility.

Problem is with the weight in my '05 quad cab Nismo Frontier. I measured my stock rear fender height with 285/75/16s at about 36". The clearance dropped to about 34 3/4" after install.

While driving from Riverside to SD I did not notice any real performance issues on city streets. The freeway was a different story. Lots of shuddering (bed rolling and vibrating a lot) independent of the cab.

I am currently running stock rear suspension with PRG load leveler spacers up front. Cosidering doing a new all around lift or possible a rear block or shackle kit from PRG with air bags for the load?

With full water/ gas/ beer/ firewood etc, I can only imagine I will be dragging *** literally!

Help! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have air bags in My Jeep liberty. night and day difference

You might have bigger problems if a Flip Pac drops it that much. That's less than 250 LBS right. My Flip is full size and is/was 300#. I guess are bags would be best but that big of a drop sounds off, weak springs? My .02

If it were me I would remove the Flip and have a 250# friend get in and out of the bed as you watch the springs moving. See if they are flatting out to quick, getting to close to the bump stop.... Does your truck spring pack have an overload spring?

Louie
    Last edited by Bella PSD; 03-13-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Ford SuperDuty Crew Cab short bed, 7.3L International Turbo Diesel,325 RWHP, 6 speed, 5" Superlift, 37" BFG BAJA on HMMWV double beadlocks, Bushwacker cut out flares, Custom Flippac camper build, Custom Roof Rack, Custom ARE Aluminum cap M101A3 trailer, FordSuperDuty Pictures

Almost forgot, the Flip Pac looks great on there!!

Louie
    Ford SuperDuty Crew Cab short bed, 7.3L International Turbo Diesel,325 RWHP, 6 speed, 5" Superlift, 37" BFG BAJA on HMMWV double beadlocks, Bushwacker cut out flares, Custom Flippac camper build, Custom Roof Rack, Custom ARE Aluminum cap M101A3 trailer, FordSuperDuty Pictures

First off.....nice truck.

Spacers, shackles and blocks will not help you carrying a load. They are going to make it worst.

With the amount of weight you want to carry I would skip AAL and go right to replacement leaf pack like ARB's Dakar Leaf Springs or a custom leaf like from Alcan Springs.
    ARB has a heavy duty and medium duty.
    https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/fro...ck-p-5937.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/fro...ck-p-5938.html

In the front you would be off with stiffer spring or coilovers.
    Mike
    2005 NISMO CC 4X4-ICON 2.5 coilovers,AC 3 leaf pack,Bilstein shocks, 3" Body lift, Titan front differential, Pathfinder half shafts, 305/70R16, American Outlaw Colt wheels, KMA rear bumper, Black Widow Off Road hi-lift mount, Home made utilitrac spare tire mount, Airflow snorkel, Shrockworks sliders and skids

Old Man Emu on all 4 corners is what you need, I suggest the HD Dakars with the extra leaf and HD 886 coils up front if you intend to mount a winch bumper, if not go with medium
    Dave Bennett, Member #203

Travel, Explore, Live: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK

I have a 700# pop up camper in thebed of my truck. with stock spring and just longer shackles, the springs flattend out really quick. So I added the 4x4parts.com 3 leaf pack

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/fro...ck-p-4195.html

in addition to the 1.5" longer Hd shackles. The end result is a little bit of a front rake to the truck without the camper, but with the camper in it is perfectly level with the total choas arms and RadFlo coils up front.

problem with bags are they kill travel/articulation when offroad.
    Nissan Frontier 07' 6sp Nismo, Titan Swap front with PRG uppers and remote res Sway aways, Deaver custom pack in the rear with 1.5" longer HD shackles, Goodyear Wrangler MTR 285/75R16, Volant intake w/AirFlow Snork, Gibson Cat Back Exhaust, SuperChip, Otpima Red Top/Xpower dual battery set up, XM and GPS, KMA front bumper, Custom Sliders, Custom skid plates, custom rear bumper with tire carrier, Warn xd9000i hitch winch (front or back hook up), softtopper.

Quote Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
    I suggest the HD Dakars with the extra leaf
    This is what I run, OME Dakar CS019R with a D6XL added in (essentially a CS020R). Total of 7 leafs in the pack. With regular factory springs my truck would be sitting on the overload. The springs were fine in that nothing was being stressed (e.g. under the rated weight), but that it squats. Putting in 1 or maybe 2 full length springs is just the ticket.
    '91 Hilux - white, dented and worn out

Thanks for all the great info. I will be looking into both 4x4 parts and OME. I am thinking a rear replacement is better than add a leaf or air bags. Solution in stead of fix??

Are 4x4 parts making their own springs or do they carry other peoples stuff? The site is hard to follow.

I'm leaning towards the medium duty rear leaf packs from OME. I think the constant 880# heavy kit may ride too rough? I'm not running heavy bumpers, but between 300# shell and gear prob about a 500# weekend load. Any thoughts on heavy/ medium duty for this application.

As far as the front goes, ARBs site dose not seem to explain what is involved with the OME springs. Just a coil over replacement? Might to PRG Radflo possible control arms as well.

Thanks for all the info gents!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_Nissmo View Post
    Are 4x4 parts making their own springs or do they carry other peoples stuff? The site is hard to follow.
    The AAL's are theirs. The leaf packs are ARB's[/QUOTE]
    As far as the front goes, ARBs site dose not seem to explain what is involved with the OME springs. Just a coil over replacement? Might to PRG Radflo possible control arms as well.
    There is a coil and shock replacement from ARB.

There is also Prerunnerpart. They are have a combo deal on icon coilovers with Total Chas control arm.
    Mike
    2005 NISMO CC 4X4-ICON 2.5 coilovers,AC 3 leaf pack,Bilstein shocks, 3" Body lift, Titan front differential, Pathfinder half shafts, 305/70R16, American Outlaw Colt wheels, KMA rear bumper, Black Widow Off Road hi-lift mount, Home made utilitrac spare tire mount, Airflow snorkel, Shrockworks sliders and skids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast